2023 line combinations

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Who are you demoting from the top-6 to make that happen? Connor would feast on easy matchups on the Names line and the top line would be better 2-way with Nino on it in place of Connor, but does this coaching staff have the gumption to make a move like that? They had fits putting Connor on the 2nd line even for a few games?
.The primary reason to consider this at all would be to assess if we could put together a stronger Scheifele line, with a view to hard matching such line against one of Colorado`s top lines (with Lowry of course hard-matched to the other). As you imply,my feeling is that a Nino Scheifele Vilardi line might potentially out-score and I`d luv to see such combo at least tried. If in doing so, we would also stand to create more productive lines elsewhere, that might be the fine edge that gets us to and maybe over the top. The differences between winning and losing are so incredibly fine.

I do however suspect that Bones is not looking at things from this vantage point - for reasons of his own, and share your scepticizm.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Who are you demoting from the top-6 to make that happen? Connor would feast on easy matchups on the Names line and the top line would be better 2-way with Nino on it in place of Connor, but does this coaching staff have the gumption to make a move like that? They had fits putting Connor on the 2nd line even for a few games?
Are you legitimately suggesting putting a 40 goal scorer on the fourth line?

It's one thing to suggest Ehlers plays with Schief or that Conner and Schief don't play together... but Connor on the 4th line?

Have you ever played a game of hockey in your life?

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So pretty much a consensus of HF Jets and media that Jets will go with the following lineup to start playoff (barring injuries in next 2 games):

Top 6 Fwds:
Connor-Scheif-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli

Bottom 6 Fwds:
Nino-Lowry-Apples
Barron-Names-Iafallo

Extras:
Perfetti- Top 6 replacement
Gus - Bottom 6 replacement
Kupari - Bottom 6 replacement after Gus

Top 4 D:
Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk

Bottom pairing:
Stanley-Samberg

Extras:
Schmidt - bottom pairing replacement
Miller - bottom pairing replacement

With Samberg being the top 4 D replacement. Only ‘hole’ in lineup is having another top pairing calibre D to support Morrissey on 2nd pair. Jets treat Pionk as that player but he’s just not that guy, imo.

Otherwise, I don’t see a glaring hole in this lineup. Just might be enough.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So pretty much a consensus of HF Jets and media that Jets will go with the following lineup to start playoff (barring injuries in next 2 games):

Top 6 Fwds:
Connor-Scheif-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli

Bottom 6 Fwds:
Nino-Lowry-Apples
Barron-Names-Iafallo

Extras:
Perfetti- Top 6 replacement
Gus - Bottom 6 replacement
Kupari - Bottom 6 replacement after Gus

Top 4 D:
Morrissey-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk

Bottom pairing:
Stanley-Samberg

Extras:
Schmidt - bottom pairing replacement
Miller - bottom pairing replacement

With Samberg being the top 4 D replacement. Only ‘hole’ in lineup is having another top pairing calibre D to support Morrissey on 2nd pair. Jets treat Pionk as that player but he’s just not that guy, imo.

Otherwise, I don’t see a glaring hole in this lineup. Just might be enough.
Do we know if Monahan's okay after missing the end of last game? Didn't hear anything but also haven't looked.

Really would have been nice for Vegas to win clean today just to be able to sit anybody with a nagging injury for the last two games.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Are you legitimately suggesting putting a 40 goal scorer on the fourth line?

It's one thing to suggest Ehlers plays with Schief or that Conner and Schief don't play together... but Connor on the 4th line?

Have you ever played a game of hockey in your life?
40 goals? I could not care less about individual stats. The only thing that matters is the logo in front of the jersey, not the number at the back. Jets don't exist as a vehicle for Connor to get 40 goals.

Ignoring your usual ad-hominum about actually playing hockey- they would get 3rd line minutes if Connor was on that line with the mins of the other lines cut. Pittsburgh won their 2 cups with PPG Phil Kessel on the 3rd line

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
40 goals? I could not care less about individual stats. The only thing that matters is the logo in front of the jersey, not the number at the back. Jets don't exist as a vehicle for Connor to get 40 goals.

Ignoring your usual ad-hominum about actually playing hockey- they would get 3rd line minutes if Connor was on that line with the mins of the other lines cut. Pittsburgh won their 2 cups with PPG Phil Kessel on the 3rd line
Ad hominum? It was an honest question, because you don't seem to understand how hockey teams work. And you did indeed ignore the question (like most that are inconvenient for your position if answered), which answered it for me

Bones loses that room the second he puts Connor on the 4th line. The next day there'd be trade requests and Bones is axed

You seem smart enough with stats and numbers, but you seem to be entirely missing the human element of these players. They're entitled millionaires that have been treated like royalty everywhere they've played and most have never held a real job in their lives. There's a culture in both the league in general and each locker room that needs to be taken into account when making all types of decisions, including line up ones

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ad hominum? It was an honest question, because you don't seem to understand how hockey teams work. And you did indeed ignore the question (like most that are inconvenient for your position if answered), which answered it for me

Bones loses that room the second he puts Connor on the 4th line. The next day there'd be trade requests and Bones is axed

You seem smart enough with stats and numbers, but you seem to be entirely missing the human element of these players. They're entitled millionaires that have been treated like royalty everywhere they've played and most have never held a real job in their lives. There's a culture in both the league in general and each locker room that needs to be taken into account when making all types of decisions, including line up ones

Your hockey related question was clearly answered. I am not gonna repeat it again but it is quoted:

One can try to appeal to imagined egos. I'll root for the making decisions that are in the best interest of the club rather than the individual. The Jets feel the same as they in the past they've played players below the role the player wanted for years. If Kessel can play on 3rd line while being PPG and win 2 cups so can any other player in that range.

I agree with @ecolad that this is worth trying but I don't expect it for reasons mentioned earlier.

Reactions: Bigfish

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Your hockey related question was clearly answered. I am not gonna repeat it again but it is quoted:

One can try to appeal to imagined egos. I'll root for the making decisions that are in the best interest of the club rather than the individual. The Jets feel the same as they in the past they've played players below the role the player wanted for years. If Kessel can play on 3rd line while being PPG and win 2 cups so can any other player in that range.

I agree with @ecolad that this is worth trying but I don't expect it for reasons mentioned earlier.
That's the problem. You don't understand what that means. You think it's as simple as looking at numbers and matching people up

What if Schief signing his extension here was based in part on him wanting to play with Connor, and the alternative was having him walk? Then you'd have no 1C, and helle would be out the door too. Imagine what this club would have looked like then? What's "best for the club" in that scenario?

The egos aren't imagined. I have details on some of them (mods feel free to DM me, happy to share sources privately). I've heard some of the stories of former coaches trying to deal with some of the guys. What I'm trying to tell you is that you don't have that info, so your view on this is overly simplistic. Instead of tripling down, you could easily say "oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that... it makes more sense now" but you seem.entirely capable of doing that

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That's the problem. You don't understand what that means. You think it's as simple as looking at numbers and matching people up

What if Schief signing his extension here was based in part on him wanting to play with Connor, and the alternative was having him walk? Then you'd have no 1C, and helle would be out the door too. Imagine what this club would have looked like then? What's "best for the club" in that scenario?

The egos aren't imagined. I have details on some of them (mods feel free to DM me, happy to share sources privately). I've heard some of the stories of former coaches trying to deal with some of the guys. What I'm trying to tell you is that you don't have that info, so your view on this is overly simplistic. Instead of tripling down, you could easily say "oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that... it makes more sense now" but you seem.entirely capable of doing that

What if Hellebuyck's signing condition was that he plays 72 games including back to backs every regular season?

What if Morrissey is demanding that the Jets sign his brother and former minor league goalie as a goalie on an NHL contract on the Jets roster or he demands a trade?

What if Vilardi hates Lowry and is demanding that he be traded or he will not re-sign at the end of his current deal?

What's "best for the club" in those scenarios?

It's absolutely hilarious since you were self-righteously bitching about other people speculating in that other thread a couple of days ago Post-Game Talk: - Jets lose in OT 4-3 when you are quite possibly one of the bigger speculators on this board, this post being the bright and shining example.

Edit: Also, "I have internal information, just trust me bro" is not convincing. Either post your info and let it stand the scrutiny and standards imposed for "insider info" on this board or don't. There are too many "I heard from the brother of the butler of player x" stories around winnipeg for anyone to be convinced by "just trust me bro".

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What if Hellebuyck's signing condition was that he plays 72 games including back to backs every regular season?

What if Morrissey is demanding that the Jets sign his brother and former minor league goalie as a goalie on an NHL contract on the Jets roster or he demands a trade?

What if Vilardi hates Lowry and is demanding that he be traded or he will not re-sign at the end of his current deal?

What's "best for the club" in those scenarios?

It's absolutely hilarious since you were self-righteously bitching about other people speculating in that other thread a couple of days ago Post-Game Talk: - Jets lose in OT 4-3 when you are quite possibly one of the bigger speculators on this board, this post being the bright and shining example.
So what would you do if schief said that?

And what level hockey did you play?

You should be a politician. You always answer without ever answering.

You'd have to approach each one of your scenarios individually. I think you'd have to sign helle and let him play his 72 games. You'd probably trade Vilardi and JoMo. Believe it or not, scenarios like that pop up all the time, but not to that extreme. See... I answered your question. It's not that hard

The difference is that my hypothetical speculation seems to have some merit. Why else would Schief and Connor be stapled together?

Lastly, that post isn't about people speculating. It's about people jumping to conclusions without all the information available to them. I didn't say that Schief wants to play with Connor, I just said that it's a possibility based on what I see and some behind the scenes info I have on Schief

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad