2023 line combinations

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
He is scoring at quite a bit higher rate then Apples 5 on 5. 1.84 to 1.44 p/60.

Also I would pull Appelton out of the lineup. I'd move him to line 4 and take out Barron. I think Mason would help that line score a bit more.

But I'd have no issue not playing Toffoli either but fat chance the org spent those assets for him to leave him in the PB.
So you punish Barron who has been one of our most consistent players all season and steps in at 4C whenever we need him - and actually plays our system... just to demote Apples. Great coaching there, bud.

Toffoli has not been scoring at 1.84/60 as a Jet - I could give a flying fk what he did with the Devils... if you just look at 5v5 then he's scoring at the same rate as Apples.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
So you punish Barron who has been one of our most consistent players all season and steps in at 4C whenever we need him - and actually plays our system... just to demote Apples. Great coaching there, bud.

Toffoli has not been scoring at 1.84/60 as a Jet - I could give a flying fk what he did with the Devils... if you just look at 5v5 then he's scoring at the same rate as Apples.

What's your point here? Do you actually think the org is going to scratch Toffoli? What's your solution?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

You're basing your decisions on 11 games as a jet? 😂

Reactions: Snowboy

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What's your point here? Do you actually think the org is going to scratch Toffoli? What's your solution?
We won a game. Finally. I run exactly the same lineup back... even if I don't believe in Pionk on our top pairing. Dont mess up the chemistry - a loss to Calgary puts us right back into a funk.

We brought Toffoli in for scoring... the guy that replaced him just got three points.

Toffoli is too slow to fit any of our bottom six roles - so yeah, scratch.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
We won a game. Finally. I run exactly the same lineup back... even if I don't believe in Pionk on our top pairing. Dont mess up the chemistry - a loss to Calgary puts us right back into a funk.

We brought Toffoli in for scoring... the guy that replaced him just got three points.

Toffoli is too slow to fit any of our bottom six roles - so yeah, scratch.

I don't completely disagree but I don't think the org will want to keep him out for long, so not sure if that's realistic. What do you do if you need to put him in somewhere?

Reactions: Dirtbag151

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That is his 5 on 5 rate.

Someone is going to have to sit out and I am not nearly as bullish on Barron as some. He works hard but his scoring is fourth line level and his underlying numbers aren't great either. We have players to cover his PK slot.

I'm just going off of how the org operates. They won't keep Toffoli out of the lineup for long. Maybe he is stick on Thursday if Nino can go.

Edit: Actually having looked at the numbers I take out Iafallo. His scoring is non existent at less then 1 p/60 and this is with a significant chunk of time in the top 6. Maybe Barron/Name/Tofolli gives the fourth line some scoring punch.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't completely disagree but I don't think the org will want to keep him out for long, so not sure if that's realistic. What do you do if you need to put him in somewhere?
I'll put it this way - you think its realistic Bones will disrupt the third line? Ever?

Perfetti is here long-term... so is Barron too. Toffoli is here for scoring in a playoff run. If Perfetti keeps producing, we don't need him. NHL isn't fair - ask Colin Miller.

I think replacing Barron on the fourth line with Toffoli kills that line - Iafallo-Names-Toffoli are not suddenly becoming a scoring line... they are a not a forechecking energy line either.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

I don’t think it’s really about “punishing” anyone at this stage. It’s more about how you potentially now have seven top-6 calibre forwards and you don’t sit the 7th one if he’s healthy. This is a good thing to have a deep group.

Tyler Toffoli has 4 goals in 11 games with us. Over the past 5 seasons (this season included) he has 136 goals in 348 games (32 goals per 82 games average) with many different teams. He has also won a Stanley Cup. I care (and think the Jets should too) about what he’s done for many other teams. You don’t keep a guy like that out of the line up if he’s healthy. I also don’t think you keep a player like Perfetti out of the line up. So unfortunately for a player like Barron it may mean he’s the one that has to be out. It’s professional sports.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don’t think it’s really about “punishing” anyone at this stage. It’s more about how you potentially now have seven top-6 calibre forwards and you don’t sit the 7th one if he’s healthy. This is a good thing to have a deep group.

Tyler Toffoli has 4 goals in 11 games with us. Over the past 5 seasons (this season included) he has 136 goals in 348 games (32 goals per 82 games average) with many different teams. He has also won a Stanley Cup. I care (and think the Jets should too) about what he’s done for many other teams. You don’t keep a guy like that out of the line up if he’s healthy. I also don’t think you keep a player like Perfetti out of the line up. So unfortunately for a player like Barron it may mean he’s the one that has to be out. It’s professional sports.

Agree.

And as others have noted, with an eye to organizational history I don't see way they healthy scratch a marquee-ish acquisition they've spent on. As soon as he's healthy, TT is back in, and likely in the top 6.

Hopefully we see MIA Miller in for a stretch also, if he's healthy.

Reactions: roccerfeller

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
That is his 5 on 5 rate.

Someone is going to have to sit out and I am not nearly as bullish on Barron as some. He works hard but his scoring is fourth line level and his underlying numbers aren't great either. We have players to cover his PK slot.

I'm just going off of how the org operates. They won't keep Toffoli out of the lineup for long. Maybe he is stick on Thursday if Nino can go.

Edit: Actually having looked at the numbers I take out Iafallo. His scoring is non existent at less then 1 p/60 and this is with a significant chunk of time in the top 6. Maybe Barron/Name/Tofolli gives the fourth line some scoring punch.
I actually don’t mind that 4th line option.
What is good about the discussion though is that the Jets have a very deep group and there is likely a way to structure the bottom 6 (and by keeping the top-6 the way they were last night) in a way that creates 4 dangerous lines that can score. Weapons on all lines. That’s how you go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually don’t mind that 4th line option.
What is good about the discussion though is that the Jets have a very deep group and there is likely a way to structure the bottom 6 (and by keeping the top-6 the way they were last night) in a way that creates 4 dangerous lines that can score. Weapons on all lines. That’s how you go deep in the playoffs.

You could also try Tofolli on the top line and put Gabe on line 4 until he gets back up to speed.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I think a byproduct, intentional or otherwise, of switching up the lines and defensive pairs could possibly be a return to structure. With a little loss of familiarity between line mates, there is possibly a safe fallback to playing with the same structure that’s supposed to be there on all 4 lines and 3 D pairings. I’d take the opportunity in the next few games to now switch up the bottom 6 and even out the minutes to see if there anything else with potential there. Rotate a guy out. We know what we have in Nino-Lowry-Apples and can always return to it.
Barron/ Iafolo - Lowry- Apples (wasn’t this supposed to be line 3 originally)
Nino - Names - Toffoli
Run em out similar minutes.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Agree.

And as others have noted, with an eye to organizational history I don't see way they healthy scratch a marquee-ish acquisition they've spent on. As soon as he's healthy, TT is back in, and likely in the top 6.

Hopefully we see MIA Miller in for a stretch also, if he's healthy.
Hopefully not in the top 6. Connor is playing a lot better with his new line. Also, Ehlers new line has a good track record. If Toffoli needs to be in top 6 and Cole bumped out, they are goin back to schief and KC.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Well with Nino out for ~1 week I guess the temporary solution to the puzzle is to simply throw Toffoli on that 3rd line. And see how the chips fall over the next few games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well with Nino out for ~1 week I guess the temporary solution to the puzzle is to simply throw Toffoli on that 3rd line. And see how the chips fall over the next few games.
will be interesting to see if he meshes well with Lowry. I have found Lowry sort of hit and miss in terms of meshing well with top-6 or offensively creative fwds over the years.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Thought it was interesting our top 3 lines for XGF this year are:

1)Niedereitter Lowry Appleton
2)Iafallo-Namestinikov-Perfetti
3)Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi

Throw Connor Monahan and Toffolli together and we have 3 lines we know have proven they car carry play in 150 mins or more.

Good chance Cole gets scratched for Barron but I could go either way.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Strange remarks by Paul Friesen re: the first line and even stranger responses by Bones today after practice. No idea what game they’ve been watching. Jets have actually outplayed their opponents finally, and are 3-0 since the change with the worst parts being that weird period of time where Ehlers was on the Perfetti line…

A little concerned that Bones is contemplated a so-called “plan B” for the top line after our team has looked closest to December form than it has in a long time - special teams not good, but winning by outplaying others 5v5.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Useful chart from @DRW204 locked in a PGT. Free now to discuss (and update as required, pal). ;)

1712848639592.png

Reactions: Gm0ney and scelaton

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Seems to me that Gustafsson has shown exceptionally well as a complement to Lowry and Apples on the "third line". Maybe entirely predictable given his strong commitment to defence-first, but he seems to fit well in contributing to offence as well playing this style of hockey. There certainly has been no fall off in the overall performance of the Lowry line since Neidereitter got nicked up.

This presents a wonderful opportunity to now try out Nino on one of the top lines to assess if he might play a strong role in elevating that line as well. He hasn`t been given much of an audition in such position this season but my sense is that he would fit quite well and even elevate production in the top six.

I wonder if Bones will consider this at all, or, if he will just auto return Nino to the Lowry line as he returns from injury? There are admittedly now only two games left this regular season to explore this type of option but the returns might prove invaluable as the playoffs begin.

Reactions: Jack7222

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Seems to me that Gustafsson has shown exceptionally well as a complement to Lowry and Apples on the "third line". Maybe entirely predictable given his strong commitment to defence-first, but he seems to fit well in contributing to offence as well playing this style of hockey. There certainly has been no fall off in the overall performance of the Lowry line since Neidereitter got nicked up.

This presents a wonderful opportunity to now try out Nino on one of the top lines to assess if he might play a strong role in elevating that line as well. He hasn`t been given much of an audition in such position this season but my sense is that he would fit quite well and even elevate production in the top six.

I wonder if Bones will consider this at all, or, if he will just auto return Nino to the Lowry line as he returns from injury? There are admittedly now only two games left this regular season to explore this type of option but the returns might prove invaluable as the playoffs begin.
Who are you demoting from the top-6 to make that happen? Connor would feast on easy matchups on the Names line and the top line would be better 2-way with Nino on it in place of Connor, but does this coaching staff have the gumption to make a move like that? They had fits putting Connor on the 2nd line even for a few games?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Illegal Curve put it well where they said Perfetti is our 7th forward for the top six and Gus is our 7th forward for our bottom six - Nino is replacing Gus and that's it...

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad