GDT: 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship (Pre-Tournament is now, Begins on Dec 26)

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
A championship should never come down to 3v3. I think it’s a great thing for the NHL to decide more games before a shootout but there’s a reason it’s only for the regular season. It is not a great thing for a tournament deciding final.

Not to mention Canada had this handed to them on a silver platter.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Othmann was a lot better tonight. His first assist was fantastic. Didn’t do a ton on his second assist but if you’re good enough the points come. Still a lot of work to be done though. A few observations:

Love his physical play. Threw the biggest hit of the night but honestly every time he used the body it was effective. It also caused a few turnovers.

His skating is bad. Like probably the worst on Team Canada. That should be NYR’s priority when he gets here. Even a marginal improvement in skating would change his effectiveness.

His positioning was also really poor. Constantly left behind on the play and rarely was open in the middle of the ice. While skating plays a role here, I honestly chalk this up to confidence. Reminds me a bit of Kakko in his rookie year, who was purposely taking himself out of the play in the neutral zone so he didn’t have to touch it. I do wonder if something else is bothering him, because he normally seems like such a cocky/confident player. He didn’t get off a single shot that wasn’t right in front of the net on the powerplay or near the blue line because he never had the puck. He never had the puck because he never got into a position where he could accept it. Which is a shame, because his shot is excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArPanet and gravey9

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I wonder if the Rangers and other teams are gonna consider signing Thomas Milic considering he just won Gold with Canada in the World Juniors. I wonder what other undrafted potential players teams will take a chance on now

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wonder if the Rangers and other teams are gonna consider signing Thomas Milic considering he just won Gold with Canada in the World Juniors. I wonder what other undrafted potential players teams will take a chance on now
Can't be signed, he goes back into the upcoming draft.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
From The Sporting News...
Milic will turn 20 years old in April of 2023. Therefore, he is not eligible for the 2023 draft, as all North American players must be under 20 years old by December of the draft year in order to be selected at the draft.

However, he is considered an undrafted free agent, so any NHL team can sign him to a contract at any point.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Might look elsewhere w Garand, Boyko, Lindbom, Ollas queued up and playing in NA

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Othmann was a lot better tonight. His first assist was fantastic. Didn’t do a ton on his second assist but if you’re good enough the points come. Still a lot of work to be done though. A few observations:

Love his physical play. Threw the biggest hit of the night but honestly every time he used the body it was effective. It also caused a few turnovers.

His skating is bad. Like probably the worst on Team Canada. That should be NYR’s priority when he gets here. Even a marginal improvement in skating would change his effectiveness.

His positioning was also really poor. Constantly left behind on the play and rarely was open in the middle of the ice. While skating plays a role here, I honestly chalk this up to confidence. Reminds me a bit of Kakko in his rookie year, who was purposely taking himself out of the play in the neutral zone so he didn’t have to touch it. I do wonder if something else is bothering him, because he normally seems like such a cocky/confident player. He didn’t get off a single shot that wasn’t right in front of the net on the powerplay or near the blue line because he never had the puck. He never had the puck because he never got into a position where he could accept it. Which is a shame, because his shot is excellent.

Skating coach and a full year in Hartford is what he needs. Let Berard come in and take that open wing spot next season. There will be a spot for Othmann whenever he's ready and it will spare us the mind-numbing "NYR are ruining his development" narrative all of next season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One of our issues maybe with free agent goalies is they look at Igor and think WTF! It's not the other goalies in our system. It's Igor. They know their chances of ever being No. 1 are pretty much nil. OTOH if you want to work with Benoit Allaire there's that.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
One of our issues maybe with free agent goalies is they look at Igor and think WTF! It's not the other goalies in our system. It's Igor. They know their chances of ever being No. 1 are pretty much nil. OTOH if you want to work with Benoit Allaire there's that.
I mean the same could've been said during Lundqvist's time and we signed Talbot, Geo, and others. This could be a great place to work with Allaire like you said. Prove to be a quality backup and get traded for a shot to be a number 1 somewhere else. Also let's not forget Shesty is going to be 29 when this contract is up. Does he keep this pace for another 5 years? Can NYR afford a potentially 10 mil goaltender being 29/30 in the first year of that contract?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Peterborough

1673031235839.png

4 of top 7 in League
[FYI Kingston is 11th in points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad