GDT: 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship (Pre-Tournament is now, Begins on Dec 26)

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Wow, so much for analytics. Heavily favoured the US
Othmann has been the least impressive of our kids at the WJC, and I'm including Laba in that list (he's impressive just for making the team). I haven't seen him drive play at all. I expected more from him.
Not to worry, the Canadian Kravtsov is going to score the gold medal winning goal tonight as a 20th birthday present.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Othmann has been the least impressive of our kids at the WJC, and I'm including Laba in that list (he's impressive just for making the team). I haven't seen him drive play at all. I expected more from him.
He has struggled since the trade to Peterborough. Something is off with him. I don't think he's a future star, but he should be showing better than he is.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He has struggled since the trade to Peterborough. Something is off with him. I don't think he's a future star, but he should be showing better than he is.

Othmann isn't going to walk into the top 6 and a good chance if he starts with the Rangers and not Hartford he won't get a lot of ice in the top 9. I like that he likes to shoot and has a great release and can one time. But that said if he's making the Rangers next year.....having a good two way game and adding a physical forechecking element is going to be important for him. To ever get in the top 6 he's going to have to work his way up through the bottom lines. The Rangers have enough top 6 guys and players we draft for the next bunch of years are not going to be guaranteed much of anything. They're going to have to work for what they can get.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Wasn't their some personal reason that Othmann was moved to the Pete's? Could be possible there are family reasons that he hasnt been his best this year.

I could see the other reason he's been underwhelming is that he's got nothing left to prove in the OHL. AHL time will benefit him greatly next year.

Reactions: bhamill

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wasn't their some personal reason that Othmann was moved to the Pete's? Could be possible there are family reasons that he hasnt been his best this year.

I could see the other reason he's been underwhelming is that he's got nothing left to prove in the OHL. AHL time will benefit him greatly next year.
Initially it was that he had an ill grandmother, but later was stated as two ill grandparents, and he wanted to be closer than he was in Flint. I could see that having an impact on him, for sure, though on the surface it's odd that he was lighting it up in Flint and then fell off when he moved closer to home. Who knows, though, maybe being closer to the situation made it more difficult. Or it's something else entirely.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I compared him to JT Miller earlier, seems they might be more alike than I thought.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Othmann is far more engaged this game. Just had a huge hand in Canada getting the lead. got an assist on a diving attempt to keep the PP zone time alive. Created the screen on the shot and drew the penalty after a giant hit. Took their best D man off the ice. This is the version of Othmann that needs to show up consistently. If he's physically capable.

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Two best goalies made the finals. Sweden's goalie had been good til today,

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Remind me of the time at the world juniors when Buchnevich scored and then went past the US bench and barked right in Brady Skjei face

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Othmann got another assist on Wright's goal. But that was really Wright who made a crazy skilled play there. Still Othmann and Wright came to play. Maybe they need to have more birthdays or championship games?

Chmelar is pretty impressive. his size and his decent skating and smarts. I think he's my fave of all our bigger forward prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad