WC: 2023 IIHF World Championship Division I

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
The second one, however, is just complete nonsense. Foos aside, China still has Kane, Wong, Yip, Lockhart, Riche.
Others are ok, but I totally disagree on Riche and I would never want to see Riche in my Graz99ers jersey. He's the one I had in mind actually.

I remember everyone saying last year that this team will stroll to Elite division and calling every other opinion complete nonsense. :popcorn:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So, as long as it's not a three-way tie with Estonia (who would need two regulation wins in their two remaining games for that to happen), for Japan it'll now be enough to beat Ukraine in the last match of the tournament to secure promotion. Conversely Ukraine needs either a regulation win over Japan or an OT win and at least one point tomorrow against the Netherlands. Estonia needs to win both remaining games in any scenario, and at least another of them without OT.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
China walking over Serbia, meaning that Serbia will need at least a regulation win over the Netherlands to avoid relegation. If the Dutch win today Serbia is already relegated before it comes to that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Serbia being relegated became a fact as soon as the Netherlands announced their roster, I mean the dudes have 1 professional player on the roster.

That's why it was really weird when one of the Croat fans (crobro?) said IB is the weakest ever. With China filling in, Ukraine and Japan being more or less back to the level they were 10 years ago it's the division least impacted by current events, whoever comes up 2A still have 0 chance to survive.

In the past it would be 1st team in the 2A that marked this huge gap between at least semi-pro hockey and completely amateur one (Estonia, Romania or Netherlands often taking that spot) while now it's 5th in the 1A.

On a separate note, where did Korenchuk come from I have no idea. Never really played for Ukrainian NT even during its worst years and now he is a PPG player in the Polish league at the age 28 all of a sudden?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't know if zero chance is not a little bit harsh, it would of course be quite the upset if Spain beat Estonia or Romania or the Netherlands, but if that team also has no more than one win in the tournament - which is quite realistic - then that one upset can well be enough for Spain to survive.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You say harsh, I say calling things what they are. While 1 win absolutely is enough to survive in these tournaments more often than not, to me it's ridiculous to even think about the possibility of Spain beating Estonia in a must-win game.

Having said that, Serbia took Estonia to SO this year despite being outshot 50-10 or something so suuuure, I guess theoretically there is always a chance.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Against the Dutch they were tied after three periods of hockey at the Beijing Olympic qualification, ultimately the Netherlands won after two goals in the fourth (sic) but it was reasonably close.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Against the Dutch they were tied after three periods of hockey at the Beijing Olympic qualification, ultimately the Netherlands won after two goals in the fourth (sic) but it was reasonably close.
Shots were 15-1 in favor of the Dutch in the 3rd which sort of proves my point, it was close until it wasn't. But sure, some kind of theoretical chance exists.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Isn’t Dale Weise known as the Dutch Gretzky?
Definitely not at all since even from the very top of my head, without digging any deeper, Daniel Sprong exists.

From what I can tell, Weise's only connection with Dutch hockey is that he played 19 games for Tilburg and didn't even do particularly amazing. He scored 2,53 PPG and is outdone in that regard by true legends like Michael Joly or T.J. Caig who would manage to score over 100 points over the full season. In Joly's case, it was 34 games.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If Sprong has received or receives another citizenship as he has intended then he likely loses his eligibility to represent the Netherlands.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Daniel Sprong ist Dual National (Netherlands/Canada) and as he never played in the Netherlands he cannot represent them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad