2023 Draft Thread (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 8PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
AP posted few hours ago …

No. 2

The pick:
Adam Fantilli

Great question: if you could be promised no worse than the No. 2 pick (Fantilli), would you give up your chance at the No. 1 pick? It’s not an easy question.

Fantilli is so much more than a consolation prize. Yes, some fans will be upset about not landing Bedard, but Fantilli would still give the Blue Jackets a future No. 1 center, which is an age-old need in Columbus. There’s no question, the Jackets would skip to the podium to make this pick.

True freshmen don’t often light up college hockey, but Fantilli was a dominant player at the University of Michigan. He played a rugged game and has the size (6-foot-2, 195 pounds) that reminds scouts of Los Angeles center Anze Kopitar.

If the Blue Jackets land the No. 1 or No. 2 pick, it will dramatically impact their 2023-24 roster, as both Bedard and Fantilli are considered NHL-ready. If they draft third or later, the impact will likely be felt in 2024-25 or beyond

No. 3

The pick:
Will Smith

This is where the intrigue starts in this year’s draft, no matter who is picking here.

With Bedard and Fantilli almost assured of going 1-2, respectively, many expect Swedish center Leo Carlsson, Russian winger Matvei Michkov, and American center Will Smith to be the next three players off the board, but in what order?

This is just a hunch, but the Blue Jackets seem quite fond of Smith, who just had a strong showing in the U18 World Championships, which Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen (and others on his staff) attended in Basel, Switzerland.

Smith, a dynamic offensive talent, is headed to Boston College in the fall, but it won’t surprise anybody if he’s there and gone after only one season. Even so, the soonest the Blue Jackets would see him would likely be the 2024-25 season.

No. 4

The pick:
Leo Carlsson

The Jackets landing here will feel like the end of the world to many, but it still gives them a chance to land a top-end talent. Carlsson has the look of a highly-skilled, No. 1 center, but it’s unclear if he’ll be ready to launch this season or next.

Pay no mind to Carlsson’s numbers in Sweden this season: 10-15-25 in 44 games with Orebro. That’s against grown men, not junior or college players like Bedard, Fantilli, and Smith have faced.

In any other year, the Blue Jackets would be delighted to land a 6-foot-3, 200-pound future No. 1 center with their top pick

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Hear me out.....
No doubt getting a player like Bedard would be wonderful for the exposure, etc - but you have to realize certain pitfalls with drafting superstars.
The salary they eventually demand can cripple a team.
The 'ego' they may carry could also inhibit the potential of said team.
I realize teams have a need for stars and players to lead, and CBJ have some, but I prefer a well balanced team instead of a top heavy team.

*This is more of consolation type post, in the event we don't land #1. We're getting a great player, don't fret.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The disrespect Aaron keeps throwing at Carlsson is getting tiresome.

For him this is a draft with Bedard& Fantilli.
Then a massive drop, in everything.
Talent, potential, NHL readiness.

He just can’t help himself and keep mention it about it 10x per podcast
While I agree that it's not just Bedard and Fantilli, I can't say I don't echo the sentiment that those two are clearly the cream of the crop for this draft and I also feel there is a pretty good drop after the top 2. Fantilli's skating puts him much further ahead, short and long term, than Carlsson in my opinion. He has all the other skills, including a more physical game that I've seen. Now I would still be thrilled with Carlsson as he's still a A level prospect to me but I don't think he's on the level of the top 2 and think there is Tier 1 - Bedard, Tier 2 - Fantilli, Tier 3 - Carlsson, Smith, Michkov and maybe even a couple others but those remain my top 5.

I do agree with you that he fixates on a point and it gets tiresome.

What kind of NHL center are you seeing in him, is he fast enough to be a top-6 center?

According to whl.ca he took 60 faceoffs in 43 games this season, sounds like it was a very brief experiment.
I haven't watched Honzek so I can't speak in any educated manner on him. I've seen a few highlights and love his measurables but I would have no way to evaluate him positionally. I simply have heard/read that there is some center potential in him. That would intrigue me and if he was there in the 2nd, I would consider him regardless of thought as a wing or center. that's just a bonus if that were possibly an option.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The disrespect Aaron keeps throwing at Carlsson is getting tiresome.

For him this is a draft with Bedard& Fantilli.
Then a massive drop, in everything.
Talent, potential, NHL readiness.

He just can’t help himself and keep mention it about it 10x per podcast

How is it disrespect exactly ? Like McKenzie he sees more in Will Smiths game .. That’s no disrespect to Carlsson, plus clearly he’s spoken off the record with some people in the org , because him , and Scheig were saying Will Smith a month ago … Will Smith could turn into. Nathan Mackinnon type center . He has the shot to go along with his playmaking , and piles up goals . Me personally , I worry Carlsson seems to be a great playmaker , not much of a goal scorer . Is he an inch bigger Alex Wennberg ?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Hear me out.....
No doubt getting a player like Bedard would be wonderful for the exposure, etc - but you have to realize certain pitfalls with drafting superstars.
I realize teams have a need for stars and players to lead, and CBJ have some, but I prefer a well balanced team instead of a top heavy team.

*This is more of consolation type post, in the event we don't land #1. We're getting a great player, don't fret.

Doesn't look like he has much ego to me.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hear me out.....

Much more crippling to not have a player that commands major money. This just seems like thought so you dont get let down if we dont win the lottery because it makes no sense

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just watched a few tapes of his shifts on youtube. Good transition skills in the sense that he has wheels and puck protection tools to carry pucks up ice but what do you think about his passing in breakouts and in OZ? He seems to prefer very obvious and safe plays, how much is he going to help on offense, other than immediately passing pucks from the point to the nearest teammate?

In this old KHL game video from September he does at least 2 plays that make me question his vision and passing (breakout pass to nobody at 1:15; instead of passing to the winger, does a successful but little risky clearing attempt at 4:00):

He's very much a gain the offensive zone and pass off guy. I think Gulyayev is similar though, he's a cheat code to get there but he won't be the one scoring.

Defensively does he look relatively soft for his size? Isn't mean, doesn't deliver massive hits and positioning isn't always that great either. I wonder what was he thinking while defending the rush at 7:15 in the video, he isn't covering or boxing out anybody and as the puck is fired on net he's just standing alone at the far post.

I've seen Simashev be physical and play very well positionally. His transition skating is a huge asset in both directions. I think there's big shutdown potential there, and combine that with the ability to skate pucks, it's a great combination.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
While I agree that it's not just Bedard and Fantilli, I can't say I don't echo the sentiment that those two are clearly the cream of the crop for this draft and I also feel there is a pretty good drop after the top 2. Fantilli's skating puts him much further ahead, short and long term, than Carlsson in my opinion. He has all the other skills, including a more physical game that I've seen. Now I would still be thrilled with Carlsson as he's still a A level prospect to me but I don't think he's on the level of the top 2 and think there is Tier 1 - Bedard, Tier 2 - Fantilli, Tier 3 - Carlsson, Smith, Michkov and maybe even a couple others but those remain my top 5.

I do agree with you that he fixates on a point and it gets tiresome.

I haven't watched Honzek so I can't speak in any educated manner on him. I've seen a few highlights and love his measurables but I would have no way to evaluate him positionally. I simply have heard/read that there is some center potential in him. That would intrigue me and if he was there in the 2nd, I would consider him regardless of thought as a wing or center. that's just a bonus if that were possibly an option.

I just can’t agree with that.

Carlsson just had one of the best SHL seasons by draft player and has been playing as a 1C for Swe mens national team.

At 6’3 he’s a true franchise C prospect

How is it disrespect exactly ? Like McKenzie he sees more in Will Smiths game .. That’s no disrespect to Carlsson, plus clearly he’s spoken off the record with some people in the org , because him , and Scheig were saying Will Smith a month ago … Will Smith could turn into. Nathan Mackinnon type center . He has the shot to go along with his playmaking , and piles up goals . Me personally , I worry Carlsson seems to be a great playmaker , not much of a goal scorer . Is he an inch bigger Alex Wennberg ?

Where did I even mention Smith?

I said he underrates the way he talks about Carlsson, or more like doesn’t talk.

Just makes it sound like he’s never seen the guy play, he’s out of touch with his game

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I just can’t agree with that.

Carlsson just had one of the best SHL seasons by draft player and has been playing as a 1C for Swe mens national team.

At 6’3 he’s a true franchise C prospect
Can't agree with what? That he's a tier below Fantilli and Bedard? I agree he's a potential 1C and could be a franchise center but he's not on the level with Bedard or Fantilli in my opinion. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And with that, I would be stoked to get him. I don't see a losing proposition this year regardless of pick 1-4. It's funny how these "disagreements" seem to be taking on a life of their own when the prospect we pull this year is most likely to be the highest level prospect since Rick Nash...maybe ever. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope we have some luck tomorrow to keep us in the top 2 at a minimum. It's going to be great to draft Bedard.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Can't agree with what? That he's a tier below Fantilli and Bedard? I agree he's a potential 1C and could be a franchise center but he's not on the level with Bedard or Fantilli in my opinion. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And with that, I would be stoked to get him. I don't see a losing proposition this year regardless of pick 1-4. It's funny how these "disagreements" seem to be taking on a life of their own when the prospect we pull this year is most likely to be the highest level prospect since Rick Nash...maybe ever. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and hope we have some luck tomorrow to keep us in the top 2 at a minimum. It's going to be great to draft Bedard.

Meant as clear gap between Carlsson and Fantilli.
Carlsson should have a legit case for going 2nd overall in this draft and I hope he makes the Swe roster so he can open up some eyes.

& yes I would feel that any of the picks would be the best prospect they have ever drafted in their history.
Just tells you how important this draft is

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Meant as clear gap between Carlsson and Fantilli.
Carlsson should have a legit case for going 2nd overall in this draft and I hope he makes the Swe roster so he can open up some eyes.

& yes I would feel that any of the picks would be the best prospect they have ever drafted in their history.
Just tells you how important this draft is
So why not just enjoy it rather than fretting about it
nothing anyone of us can do about it so let’s see what happens and enjoy the prospect of getting a top prospect? That is, unless Jarmo pulls a Doug McLean and drafts another Gilbert Brûle

Reactions: Xoggz22

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Interesting question ( I think it was in Porty's article)

Would you pass on the chance to win 1OA if it meant you were guaranteed the 2nd pick?

I don't know. My heart says take a chance on Bedard but my head says you get a guaranteed guy who is projected to be a 1C. Here I say I'd take the gamble in real life I think I take a guaranteed Fantilli and move on.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Would you pass on the chance to win 1OA if it meant you were guaranteed the 2nd pick?

I don't know. My heart says take a chance on Bedard but my head says you get a guaranteed guy who is projected to be a 1C. Here I say I'd take the gamble in real life I think I take a guaranteed Fantilli and move on.
I used to think Carlsson was closer to Fantilli than I do now, but I still wouldn't take that.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Considering our current position, yes, give me guaranteed #2 pick.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

13.5% chance of Bedard and changing your franchise

Or 100% chance of a franchise top center.

I’ll take the 100% as much as it hurts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Want to see a weird player?

I love Juraj Pekarcik. He seems to be all athletic gifts right now - great speed, reckless abandon, all out effort, inexhaustible workrate - but no refinement in form or how to play with structure. Very strange skater. But it seems like there's a lot of upside here?

He might never become a scorer, he hasn't scored in the Slovak league, although he might not be getting real ice time. Can this guy become a great checking forward? It seems like he could become very difficult to play against. I really don't know what to make of him.

@tunnelvision do you have a read on Pekarcik?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
JD doubling down on a center with the top 4 pick -- thankfully.

Watch their center guy at #4 turn out to be Dalibor Dvorsky, this place would be a lot of fun.

I can't say I'd be excited about that, though he at least would be a player who is good at center duties.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Allright so Michkov seems to be out of race. Hard to believe JD would talk in that manner if they were considering him at #4.

The interesting question will now be whether it's Smith or Carlsson at #3. Didn't even question Carlsson being 3rd before, but Bob's latest rankings opened my eyes to the possibility.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Allright so Michkov seems to be out of race. Hard to believe JD would talk in that manner if they were considering him at #4.

The interesting question will now be whether it's Smith or Carlsson at #3. Didn't even question Carlsson being 3rd before, but Bob's latest rankings opened my eyes to the possibility.
I doubt they take Smith over Carlsson at 3rd. U18’s gave Smith a bump but Carlsson is more pro ready and proven in pro leagues. Carlsson will be playing in World’s and will get his bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille