2023 Draft Thread (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 8PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Whoever wins the #2 pick is going to have an interesting choice. Michkov won't come over until 2026. But I still think he's a much better player than Fantilli and Leo Carlsson. I expect those two to both be #1Cs but I expect Michkov to be even better. Perhaps it's like choosing between Eric Staal and Patrick Kane, where you have to wait three years for Kane.

If the Jackets are picking second then I think they go Fantilli. They need a 1C now and he has a good chance of reaching that level for a year or two before Michkov becomes available. It might be different if we were at the start of a rebuild but we should be close to the end now, we already have prime age star players ready to go and the D should improve in the next couple years.

If the Jackets are picking third and Fantilli goes second, then I might lean Michkov. Leo Carlsson looks like he'll be a 1C to me but he might need a few years to get to that level anyways.
Passing on Michkov in top 3 is a franchise suicide move, he’s a potentially generational winger, regardless of how long we have to wait.

The only reason his stock is down is obviously politics, he can’t play international hockey and his evaluation is limited, but he outplayed everyone including Bedard in the tournaments he participated

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
55F71454-BB46-47D0-9F41-6571C71CEA68.png

a beautiful site

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Moving this draft discussion here so DSL doesn't have an aneurysm.

@cbjthrowaway
Either they turn it around in spite of those issues (everyone here is hoping for this) or they don't and those three issues solve themselves this summer thanks to a uniquely strong draft and larger pool of coaching candidates.

This feels like a funny discussion to me because I have a hard time believing there is much to disagree on. The extreme positions @Viqsi's there are no silver linings and @Cowumbus draft position above all else feel like they're for the sake of argument. We all want wins and we all want top picks in an incredible draft.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Passing on Michkov in top 3 is a franchise suicide move, he’s a potentially generational winger, regardless of how long we have to wait.

The only reason his stock is down is obviously politics, he can’t play international hockey and his evaluation is limited, but he outplayed everyone including Bedard in the tournaments he participated
Taking Michkov could be franchise suicide. There is zero certainty that he could ever leave russia. Like you can ask for Fedotov. Michkov is great talent but he plays in league which isnt even top3 in Europe. He cant play international games that minus. Biggest problem is his nationality if he has any other passport he could be 1st pick and certainly 2nd. Now he could be 2nd rounder.

Bedard would be awesome, Fantilli would be great but rest im not so happy any of them yet.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
This feels like a funny discussion to me because I have a hard time believing there is much to disagree on. The extreme positions @Viqsi's there are no silver linings and @Cowumbus draft position above all else feel like they're for the sake of argument. We all want wins and we all want top picks in an incredible draft.
What's really interesting to me in these discussions is that either side never seem to want to reveal more precisely where they actually stand on the debate. I can present a simple question to an anti-tanker by asking "how great of a player would the top pick have to become in order to justify the "commitment" to tanking", or I can ask a pro-tanker "what negative consequences for the team wouldn't justify the tanking", but this is where the talking usually ends.

...for a couple months until it pops up again somewhere on the board in a new context. So that we can go over the same arguments for the 1000th time. Wash, rinse, repeat.

@cbjthrowaway described my current thoughts on the topic pretty accurately, I think it's a good analysis of the situation.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can present a simple question to an anti-tanker by asking "how great of a player would the top pick have to become in order to justify the "commitment" to tanking"
Never been directly asked that, but frankly I think the answer is fairly simple:

No such player exists, or will ever exist, or can ever exist. It's fundamentally impossible. Because no hockey team is capable of being competitive due to only one player, and so no single acquired player can justify the damage done to their supporting cast.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also, for the record...
It's less "there are no silver linings" and more "they're irrelevant when discussing the current problem because the current problem, if unchecked, will eat those silver linings like yummy candy and spit out broken dreams and crushed hopes."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also, for the record...

It's less "there are no silver linings" and more "they're irrelevant when discussing the current problem because the current problem, if unchecked, will eat those silver linings like yummy candy and spit out broken dreams and crushed hopes."

That's certainly a big risk if you're a brutally bad 50 pt team. We should all want to avoid that. I'm not as worried about it if we're a 70 pt team this year. Big difference for me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's certainly a big risk if you're a brutally bad 50 pt team. We should all want to avoid that. I'm not as worried about it if we're a 70 pt team this year. Big difference for me.
With this start, we're on pace for the former, and that's seemingly getting responded to with "but hey, Bedard" plus calls to fire Larsen/Kekalainen/both/either/whoever just fire somebody for something somehow. And c'mon, you know the instant the team starts improving we're going to have a chorus of howling outrage over how dare we "worsen our draft position", regardless of how stacked the top of this draft may or may not be.

And while Bedard is admittedly not actually a literal impossibility for this team, it is so overwhelmingly unlikely given lottery odds, other teams "in the mix", and established priors, that I'm pretty much prepared to guarantee it as as much a certainty as anything in this world can be. Bringing up his name just doesn't even make sense anymore. It's a mark of irrationality at this point IMO.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With this start, we're on pace for the former, and that's seemingly getting responded to with "but hey, Bedard" plus calls to fire Larsen/Kekalainen/both/either/whoever just fire somebody for something somehow. And c'mon, you know the instant the team starts improving we're going to have a chorus of howling outrage over how dare we "worsen our draft position", regardless of how stacked the top of this draft may or may not be.

And while Bedard is admittedly not actually a literal impossibility for this team, it is so overwhelmingly unlikely given lottery odds, other teams "in the mix", and established priors, that I'm pretty much prepared to guarantee it as as much a certainty as anything in this world can be. Bringing up his name just doesn't even make sense anymore. It's a mark of irrationality at this point IMO.

If "but hey Bedard" is presented as a silver lining of an otherwise shit situation then I don't have a problem with that. That seems to be the way almost all of us think of it.

That and invoking Bedard's name in particular is something you appear to be doing so you can base your argument on probabilities. The arguments you've been replying to don't even mention him and instead are about the number of elite prospects at the top of this draft. So you're losing the probability argument and trying to shift the topic back to more favorable ground. If it was just Bedard and then an average draft I'd agree with you, by the way. Very different situation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If "but hey Bedard" is presented as a silver lining of an otherwise shit situation then I don't have a problem with that. That seems to be the way almost all of us think of it.

That and invoking Bedard's name in particular is something you appear to be doing so you can base your argument on probabilities. The arguments you've been replying to don't even mention him and instead are about the number of elite prospects at the top of this draft. So you're losing the probability argument and trying to shift the topic back to more favorable ground. If it was just Bedard and then an average draft I'd agree with you, by the way. Very different situation.
I think the probability of us getting any of the folks y'all are gushing about as franchise-changing types are low enough as to not be relevant. Because there are too many teams that are tanking deliberately and others that, incredibly, are in even worse shape than we are.

Reactions: Doggy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the probability of us getting any of the folks y'all are gushing about as franchise-changing types are low enough as to not be relevant. Because there are too many teams that are tanking deliberately and others that, incredibly, are in even worse shape than we are.

Even if we manage a 68 pt season (look at how we stack up to the rest of our schedule - we look like by far the worst in our conference), the most teams to finish under 68 pts was in the last big tank year in 2015, when 3 teams did it. If we finish 4th worst or worse we'd have something like a 75% chance or better at a top 5 pick in a year when every one of those top 5 guys projects as a superstar or as a #1C. Even the guys after the top 5 like Dvorsky or Sale look great.

Maybe we'd win a lot more than that which would be good and I'd love it. I see us getting one or the other (70+ pts or a projected star pick) and you're seeing us potentially getting neither and I think getting neither is unlikely this year.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Never been directly asked that, but frankly I think the answer is fairly simple:

No such player exists, or will ever exist, or can ever exist. It's fundamentally impossible. Because no hockey team is capable of being competitive due to only one player, and so no single acquired player can justify the damage done to their supporting cast.
It's certainly hard to move anywhere from there with premises as questionable as these. I don't think anyone knows how much a single player can affect any given team. Don't fool yourself.

If we were to play a game where we'd envision alternative 2022-23 season outcomes for the CBJ and then had to pick a scenario we think would be the best for the team, would you be down for that? Format would be very simple like this:

Scenario 1:
+ CBJ draft "the next Jonathan Toews" with 3OA who will become their future 1C
- list negative consequences here...

Scenario 2:
+ CBJ draft "Bryan Little" with pick #12 who will pan out as a middle-six C
+ list other positives here
- the negative

Scenario 3:
+ whatever
- whatever

Or would you just shrug it off and say the exercise itself is meaningless because the scenarios are not even theoretically possible, let alone realistic?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's certainly hard to move anywhere from there with premises as questionable as these. I don't think anyone knows how much a single player can affect any given team. Don't fool yourself.

If we were to play a game where we'd envision alternative 2022-23 season outcomes for the CBJ and then had to pick a scenario we think would be the best for the team, would you be down for that? Format would be very simple like this:

Scenario 1:
+ CBJ draft "the next Jonathan Toews" with 3OA who will become their future 1C
- list negative consequences here...

Scenario 2:
+ CBJ draft "Bryan Little" with pick #12 who will pan out as a middle-six C
+ list other positives here
- the negative

Scenario 3:
+ whatever
- whatever

Or would you just shrug it off and say the exercise itself is meaningless because the scenarios are not even theoretically possible, let alone realistic?
I could play along in the abstract, but as soon as folks start debating details we start getting into the specific and that's when the abstractions start falling apart.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Moving this draft discussion here so DSL doesn't have an aneurysm.

@cbjthrowaway

Except that’s not my position. Draft position above most :sarcasm:
What's really interesting to me in these discussions is that either side never seem to want to reveal more precisely where they actually stand on the debate.
If you aren’t making the playoffs, sell everyone that is not in your long term plans. Your team should be worse, increasing your odds at getting a better player in the draft.

I can present a simple question to an anti-tanker by asking "how great of a player would the top pick have to become in order to justify the "commitment" to tanking", or I can ask a pro-tanker "what negative consequences for the team wouldn't justify the tanking", but this is where the talking usually ends.
Selling guys like Nyquist/Voracek/Gavrikov is not equal to tanking. I do not want to sell Jenner for example. We aren’t trading away Werenski (like DeBrincat). But guys like Voracek/Nyquist who I believe are not in the long term plans, do nothing but hurt you in the long term with respect to the draft. The reason for this is, is that they “inflate” your win total. If you get rid of those guys now, your team is either worse, or better on the backs of our young players (assuming they get ice time). However it is my belief that you should not play your prospects until you are confident that are ready. If your prospects are not ready, replace those roster spots with guys like Guance, Meyer etc (low upside and not part of the long term plan) and let your top guys dominate at the AHL level.
...for a couple months until it pops up again somewhere on the board in a new context. So that we can go over the same arguments for the 1000th time. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Yes. Or people misconstrue your view.
@cbjthrowaway described my current thoughts on the topic pretty accurately, I think it's a good analysis of the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
And c'mon, you know the instant the team starts improving we're going to have a chorus of howling outrage over how dare we "worsen our draft position", regardless of how stacked the top of this draft may or may not be.
if the team improves on the backs of Johnson, Sillinger, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Laine and Jiricek that is a good thing.

If Roslovic, Nyquist, Voracek are who lead the charge, yeah I really won’t be too happy about it.

There is a HUGE difference IMO.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
How do you guys think that a GM should act at this precise moment? we still have a lot of games to play, and the coaching staff still have time to right this ship with the players that are on the squad. If we see some moves from the GM that imply that we're going to tank at a point in the season when a playoff spot seems out of reach, that should be a good thing, yes? There is no way for Jarmo to know hos strong his hand is in this game of poker yet, but he has shown that he's not afraid to make moves that he believes are worth the short term cost. Me personally, look forward to see how the season plays out. Either we have a realistic shot at making it to the playoffs, or some juggling is going to happen to increase our chances to get an at least favourable position in the draft. We are discussing the extremes here talking about a deliberate tank this early in the season. I seriously doubt that any GM is even contemplating going for full nosedive yet.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If you aren’t making the playoffs, sell everyone that is not in your long term plans. Your team should be worse, increasing your odds at getting a better player in the draft.
This is a rule of thumb that every modern cap era team should obey but as we realize we're not making decisions in a vacuum and begin to examine the state of the team more carefully I think we need to address questions such as:

When should we trade Nyqvist/Voracek/Gavrikov? Right now? Irrespective of their current value on the market? Do you think playing current version of Voracek on your top-9 is going to "inflate" the point totals?

Do you see any "mentoring value" in keeping any of those with the team for a bit longer, on and off the ice?

Who is going to step into their roles when they leave? Realistically speaking I doubt Gaunce or Bjork is going to get called up because of the "next man up" ideology this org firmly believes in.

What kind of message is FO sending to the remaining roster with those proposed moves? Is Jarmo trusting in us anymore? I thought they wanted us to play in the NHL this year, why all of a sudden we're being sent to Cleveland to be replaced by inferior players, especially after they sold all those veterans? What is the direction of this organisation? Do I want to be part of it in the long-term? I'd really like to know if you see these sort of questions as serious concerns and how you would solve them if you were Jarmo.

Selling guys like Nyquist/Voracek/Gavrikov is not equal to tanking. I do not want to sell Jenner for example. We aren’t trading away Werenski (like DeBrincat).
I agree. I was exaggerating a little on purpose by suggesting you're a "tanker".

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
This is a rule of thumb that every modern cap era team should obey but as we realize we're not making decisions in a vacuum and begin to examine the state of the team more carefully I think we need to address questions such as:

When should we trade Nyqvist/Voracek/Gavrikov? Right now? Irrespective of their current value on the market?
I think it depends. For instance, if I can trade Gus Nyquist for Adam Henrique right now I do it. Gavrikov at the TDL to maximize value, Voracek I would move ASAP. Honestly, he might not be tradable, that might be someone you have to move in the summer.
Do you think playing current version of Voracek on your top-9 is going to "inflate" the point totals?
Over a player like Gaunce,Dunne,Meyer, (Bemstrom?) yes.
Do you see any "mentoring value" in keeping any of those with the team for a bit longer, on and off the ice?
Jenner, Werenski, Gudbranson, Kuraly can mentor.
Who is going to step into their roles when they leave? Realistically speaking I doubt Gaunce or Bjork is going to get called up because of the "next man up" ideology this org firmly believes in.
Hopefully the young guys you believe are part of the long term plans. Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko (Bemstrom?)
What kind of message is FO sending to the remaining roster with those proposed moves?
That they aren’t very good, or they believe in the young nucleus of the team.
Is Jarmo trusting in us anymore? I thought they wanted us to play in the NHL this year, why all of a sudden we're being sent to Cleveland to be replaced by inferior players, especially after they sold all those veterans? What is the direction of this organisation? Do I want to be part of it in the long-term? I'd really like to know if you see these sort of questions as serious concerns and how you would solve them if you were Jarmo.
“We believe [you] will be an integral part of this team long term. You are part of the group that is going to turn this team into a contender. While you have performed well in your short time in the NHL, we believe it is better for your development this year to play meaningful games in the American Hockey League and help the Monsters pursue a Calder Cup.”
I agree. I was exaggerating a little on purpose by suggesting you're a "tanker".

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
“We believe [you] will be an integral part of this team long term. You are part of the group that is going to turn this team into a contender. While you have performed well in your short time in the NHL, we believe it is better for your development this year to play meaningful games in the American Hockey League and help the Monsters pursue a Calder Cup.”
I might be overthinking this but would this kind of explanation be unsatisfactory to some of them? "Why are they doing this to us now and not earlier? Not all NHL games are meaningful? We're not bringing any less contribution for this team now than we did last year and they've told us they want us here and still we get sent down. We don't think they're being integral/consistent with their words and actions."

Maybe one way to avoid confusing them (if it was confusing) is to fire Larsen first and then send them to AHL with an explanation of "Larsen wanted to keep you in Columbus but with our new staff we reconsidered our development plan and now have come to a conclusion that it's best for all of us to have you guys in Cleveland for the rest of season."

Uhh, I don't know. What a mess.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it depends. For instance, if I can trade Gus Nyquist for Adam Henrique right now I do it.

Two veterans that appear to be falling off hard and you trade the one with an expiring contract for the one with an extra year?

Gavrikov at the TDL to maximize value, Voracek I would move ASAP. Honestly, he might not be tradable, that might be someone you have to move in the summer.

There's no reason to suppose that we could move Voracek at any point unless we're willing to pay a lot. That's true this year and in the summer.

I'm still a little confused about your position to be honest. Keeping or trading Voracek and Nyquist doesn't really have much to do with our draft position. They're not that good or that bad.

Reactions: MoeBartoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad