2023 Draft Thread (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 8PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I had the same question, but looking at Cap Friendly we might be able to pull it off if Larkin makes Roslovic expendable and we don’t sign a couple of guys:

No more Nyquist ($5.5 mill)+ No more Gavrikov ($2.8 mill) + Trade Roslovic ($4 mill)

We need to do sign Chinakhov and Peeke in the same offseason. Plus come up with a back up goalie (free agent or Tarasov).

Voracek coming off the books the following year means we’d have money for Sillinger and Johnson‘s next contracts, so signing Larkin wouldn’t completely screw us if we could get him in the $9.5 million range.
But then that potentially prevents us from locking up Laine on another deal if he plays up to par. And if Johnson and Sillinger play as expected than we don't need Larkin..

Reactions: Ippenator

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I had the same question, but looking at Cap Friendly we might be able to pull it off if Larkin makes Roslovic expendable and we don’t sign a couple of guys:

No more Nyquist ($5.5 mill)+ No more Gavrikov ($2.8 mill) + Trade Roslovic ($4 mill)

We need to do sign Chinakhov and Peeke in the same offseason. Plus come up with a back up goalie (free agent or Tarasov).

Voracek coming off the books the following year means we’d have money for Sillinger and Johnson‘s next contracts, so signing Larkin wouldn’t completely screw us if we could get him in the $9.5 million range.
Nah, we'll just get him at a hometown discount. After all, the Gaudreau precident has established that Columbus is sufficiently close to home.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

The expectation is Gavrikov will be signed to an extension, not moved and Roslovic could change a lot of opinions this year if his last 40 games carries over to this year. He still has room for growth and appeared to show the effort needed to become a better 2-way player. Still work to do but he's one of the better skaters and high skill guys on the CBJ. Nyquist and Voracek are unlikely to be here beyond their contracts (at least that would be my approach) and that money used as we move into the next core.

Love Larkin but he'll command a lot of AAV on his next deal and I still dont' see how he doesn't stay in Detroit.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Fro

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
A 5’9 center? That seems small. How many of those are there in the league?
Those that are in the league are very high end players. Bedard is expected to be better than most of them in the league already. He's a franchise center regardless of size given his overall skill set. Not to mention he just turned 17 and is still likely to add a little size.

Reactions: LJ7

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Right now I certainly agree with our FO's decision to keep our 1st round pick. We are far from guaranteed to make the playoffs and this season may show we have work to do before we hit that level. This draft class seems to truly be better than recent ones so having our first is a nice safety valve. It would actually be a bit ridiculous to move our first now, I know there isn't a debate on that really but with our strength in drafting + strong class + uncertainty with a young team it's a no brainer to keep it. The 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets will again heavily rely on finishing and that has the chance to take us to some surprising heights or disappointing lows by nature.

That is not to say I think it's "worth" missing the playoffs for the sake of our future because us being a playoff team means the guys we already have are good.

The 2023 guys I'm familiar with are exclusively the top guys - Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Sale, Yager, Dvorsky - and they all seem to truly be very good prospects. In the 2022 class I ended up liking the defensemen a fair bit better than the forwards, to me Jiricek, Mateychuk, Nemec, Korchinski, and Mintyukov collectively were more impressive than Slafkovsky, Wright, Cooley, Gauthier, and Kasper. However 2023 seems to have a forward stronghold at the top, I'm not sure the recent trend of defensemen infiltrating the top 6 picks will continue. Obviously these guys have not played their DY yet but as of now it's forwards at the top.

I'm sure this board will get even more familiar with Yager as we follow Mateychuk's development this season. He's quite good and has the chance to go 10th or something if some guys blow up this year and pass him. Who knows, maybe Michkov falls to us with all the uncertainty. With our pool and roster we can afford to take risks other teams can't. As a young team that (at least should) have low expectations from the outside we do have a seemingly strong draft class to fall back on. It won't be the end of the world if this season doesn't go as optimistic fans expect.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Matthew Wood is lighting it up for UConn as a freshman, and all the mocks I see have him going 10-15OA.

However, I don’t know how anyone can have him that high due to how poor his skating ability is. Am I wrong here?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

4c27f39c-ac4c-477e-b2bd-a4eb07a8db4c.jpg

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

This is a deep forward draft. That is one reason I thought it was smart to draft D last year. Our D looks bad, but we have taken 3 first round D in the last 2 years, so we can go for centers (and maybe a goalie) in the first 3 rounds where we currently have 4 picks (we have Seattle’s 3rd from the Bjorkstrand trade).

If we are drafting in the 14-18 range, Riley Heidt could be a guy for us. He had a good international tournament this summer and is rising, so he might not be there. But he supposed to be a smart pure center who wins face offs. Will Smith is an American center who will go to Boston College. He played plenty of games for U18 US Development team last year as a 17 year old.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Matthew Wood is lighting it up for UConn as a freshman, and all the mocks I see have him going 10-15OA.

However, I don’t know how anyone can have him that high due to how poor his skating ability is. Am I wrong here?

Not only is he a freshman, he is a 6’3” 17 year old freshman. But the knock on him his skating. My guess is he goes in the 7 - 10 range. He is the kind of guy that people will love or think he will be a bust. Someone in the top 10 will love him.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If we are drafting in the 14-18 range, Riley Heidt could be a guy for us. He had a good international tournament this summer and is rising, so he might not be there. But he supposed to be a smart pure center who wins face offs.
I thought you wanted more size (than 5'11-178)? Can't say much about his talents yet and how plausible it is to expect him to be a solution for our top-6 C needs. I'll be watching tons of WHL this year because of Svozil and Mateychuk so he should be on my radar very soon.

Btw, MJ is playing against Regina tonight and this Sunday, Mateychuk & Yager vs Svozil & Bedard.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I thought you wanted more size (than 5'11-178)? Can't say much about his talents yet and how plausible it is to expect him to be a solution for our top-6 C needs. I'll be watching WHL a ton this year because of Svozil and Mateychuk so he should be on my radar very soon.

Btw, MJ is playing against Regina tonight and this Sunday, Mateychuk & Yager vs Svozil & Bedard.

I‘d rather have size, but I think we need to get the most talented true C with our first rounder next year. If that guy is 5’11, I’ll learn to live with him. But I DON’T want the guy who is a “well, he plays wing in juniors but we see him becoming an NHL center” guy.

Reactions: EspenK

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I‘d rather have size, but I think we need to get the most talented true C with our first rounder next year. If that guy is 5’11, I’ll learn to live with him. But I DON’T want the guy who is a “well, he plays wing in juniors but we see him becoming an NHL center” guy.

An early impression not to be taken too seriously, but I'd like to see better acceleration and straight line speed since we have already have one subpar skater in Sillinger for one of top-6 C roles.

Reactions: Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad