2023 Draft Thread (Lottery Drawing 05/08/23 8PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
What would be the price for 1OA in 2023?

I am not going to call him “generational”, but I would say Bedard has been acknowledged as a “once in every 5-10 year” level prospect. He will be cost controlled. I’d say insanely high. I’d don’t know if most teams have the pieces. I don’t think the Jackets have the pieces. A team like Buffalo could offer Owen Power, Matthew Savoie, Noah Ostlund, their 2023 1st, and three 2023 2nd round picks. I don’t think that gets you Bedard.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
1659963351390.jpeg

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I am not going to call him “generational”, but I would say Bedard has been acknowledged as a “once in every 5-10 year” level prospect. He will be cost controlled. I’d say insanely high. I’d don’t know if most teams have the pieces. I don’t think the Jackets have the pieces. A team like Buffalo could offer Owen Power, Matthew Savoie, Noah Ostlund, their 2023 1st, and three 2023 2nd round picks. I don’t think that gets you Bedard.
If I was Seattle as the 2023 lottery winner, and if both Beniers and Wright had shown strong signs of becoming future top-6 centers during 2022-23, I would certainly think about Buffalo's offer.

Imagine New Jersey winning 1OA and then call Columbus to propose a trade:

2023 1OA for CBJ's 2023 1st, Jiricek, Voronkov, Tarasov, 2023 2nd, 2024 1st

Would you accept if you were Columbus? I tried to gather pieces from the Jackets that NJ would probably want the most. They believe they have long-time top-6 Cs in Hughes and Hischier, so I don't think they are that desperate to get Bedard. What they seem to lack is quality goalies, another top-4 D, and wingers/bottom-6 centers with size.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
If I was Seattle as the 2023 lottery winner, and if both Beniers and Wright had shown strong signs of becoming future top-6 centers during 2022-23, I would certainly think about Buffalo's offer.

Would you accept if you were Columbus? I tried to gather pieces from the Jackets that NJ would probably want the most. They believe they have long-time top-6 Cs in Hughes and Hischier, so I don't think they are that desperate to get Bedard. What they seem to lack is quality goalies, another top-4 D, and wingers/bottom-6 centers with size.
Provided our first rounder was in the teens as probably is expected, yes I make that trade forever... Assuming Bedard stays on his current trajectory, too, of course.

If you're Seattle or Jersey in these scenarios, you draft Bedard and trade away Hischier or Wright IMO. Those guys may be nice 1B/2A centers in the NHL, but there's a reason Bedard is considered the best draft prospect since McDavid.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

I would fire sell that for potential next McDavid

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

If Jackets are picking somewhere out of top 10 then I'd make the trade. If they had a top 5 pick I'm not so sure. Fantilli(one of other top 3 0r 4 C's) & Jiricek & 2023 2nd and 2024 1st are good enough for me.

Stack up some picks for this draft, then go into win-now mode.
Just to clarify your timeline you're suggesting some trades to build up 2023 picks and then go into win mode in 2023-24 season?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

New Jersey is maybe the one team that I could see trading the Bedard pick. Let’s say the draft is

1) NJ
2) Chicago
3) Detroit

and everyone assumes it will go Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov because Chicago could really use a center and Michkov is committed to the KHL a few more seasons.

I could see Detroit offering the Michkov pick, Cossa, and Seider for the first overall. Detroit would then have a 1-2 of Bedard and Larkin plus Lucas Raymond, Edvinsson, etc. NJ would then have a top pair of Seider - Hughes, good centers, and a great goalie prospect. Then, in a few years when their team is a legit threat for a deep run, they would add an amazing wing who is cost controlled for a couple of seasons.

But I don’t see NJ calling Columbus.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

NJD would just take Bedard, then have Crosby/Malkin for the next 10 years.

Handigate

Aug 1, 2022
New Jersey is maybe the one team that I could see trading the Bedard pick. Let’s say the draft is

1) NJ
2) Chicago
3) Detroit

and everyone assumes it will go Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov because Chicago could really use a center and Michkov is committed to the KHL a few more seasons.

I could see Detroit offering the Michkov pick, Cossa, and Seider for the first overall. Detroit would then have a 1-2 of Bedard and Larkin plus Lucas Raymond, Edvinsson, etc. NJ would then have a top pair of Seider - Hughes, good centers, and a great goalie prospect. Then, in a few years when their team is a legit threat for a deep run, they would add an amazing wing who is cost controlled for a couple of seasons.

But I don’t see NJ calling Columbus.
I'm still hoping that CBJ make a run for Z's good buddy Larkin when he hits Free Agency!!!

Reactions: Toe Pick and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
With what money…

I had the same question, but looking at Cap Friendly we might be able to pull it off if Larkin makes Roslovic expendable and we don’t sign a couple of guys:

No more Nyquist ($5.5 mill)+ No more Gavrikov ($2.8 mill) + Trade Roslovic ($4 mill)

We need to do sign Chinakhov and Peeke in the same offseason. Plus come up with a back up goalie (free agent or Tarasov).

Voracek coming off the books the following year means we’d have money for Sillinger and Johnson‘s next contracts, so signing Larkin wouldn’t completely screw us if we could get him in the $9.5 million range.

Reactions: Handigate

Handigate

Aug 1, 2022
I had the same question, but looking at Cap Friendly we might be able to pull it off if Larkin makes Roslovic expendable and we don’t sign a couple of guys:

No more Nyquist ($5.5 mill)+ No more Gavrikov ($2.8 mill) + Trade Roslovic ($4 mill)

We need to do sign Chinakhov and Peeke in the same offseason. Plus come up with a back up goalie (free agent or Tarasov).

Voracek coming off the books the following year means we’d have money for Sillinger and Johnson‘s next contracts, so signing Larkin wouldn’t completely screw us if we could get him in the $9.5 million range.
What he said!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad