WC: 2023 Czech Team

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree with all but Repik. We don't need another "experienced guys". With Cervenka, Kovar, maybe Vrana, Kubalik etc. i rly don't want 34 years old Repik who is very bad vs Trinec. Right now 6th match is live on TV. I'd rather take David Kase from Sparta
Exactly this.. a guy like David Kase would be great. Former captain, hard worker, gritty and some skill. Perfect bottom 6.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The way Sparta is playing and have played this season, I'd say all their big-name guys are overrated. Getting bounced by no-name (relatively) Trinec.

Not saying they are flat-out terrible but there must be better options for the NT.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I dont know I see a lot of interesting players here. Lot of interesting and promising young guys which can really be a good adittion at WC or at least get a chance in pre wc tournaments.

There is Stransky, Lakatos, Flynn, Najman A., Tomasek, Kubik, Horky, Kodytek, Kousal etc. all of them has really good seasons behind them and can fight for wc spot and show off there.

The more experienced guys like Repik, Sedlak, Hyka, Radil, Holik (really want to see him in NT), Sobotka, Nestasil, still solid guys.

Also dont get why consider extraliga worse then other top leagues. Sure liiga and shl is maybe a bit better, and nla maybe also (although I would say is more on par with elh). But its nothing drastical and for example with nla, There is one big advantage we have against them. If you look at top 50 scoring in nla there is only like 11 swiss guys, the rest is foreign players. But in elh there is almost 40 (38) czech players in top 50. So yeah nla is quality league, maybe even more then elh, but the quality there is produced by foreigners and not by swiss players.
You answered it for me.. I think Extraliga is worse than SEL, LIIGA and NLA. Not miles worse but definitely worse to me. And SEL and LIIGA are better at developing younger players (including Czech players who leave for that league instead). It's telling that Svozil went to Finland instead of his brother who stayed in Extraliga. Or that national team coach Spacek has his son in QMJHL. So does Zidlicky. Our awesome U20 team had very few players from Extraliga on it this year.

I think our best Czechs are in those leagues too! Smejkal, Cervenka, Kovar, Spacek, Chlapik and Klok come to mind. I agree NLA is better because of foreigners. Totally agree but it is a better league with better Czechs.

That doesn't mean I think Swiss hockey is better than Czech hockey. Eg. even the Spengler Cup final, the best Czechs were on the Swiss team!

NLA is probably our best league outside of NHL and AHL right now for Czech players..

As far as the Extrliga guys.. I think Jalonen might take more and build around them like the other Jalonen does. So you may get your wish!

I see the extraliga as old vets (Horak, Sobotka, Repik, Plekanec, Jagr) and guys in their mid 20s' that will never make the NHL. That may be unfair but when I look at the rosters that is what I see. I'd love for it to change but I don't trust Hadamczak at all.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I agree with all but Repik. We don't need another "experienced guys". With Cervenka, Kovar, maybe Vrana, Kubalik etc. i rly don't want 34 years old Repik who is very bad vs Trinec. Right now 6th match is live on TV. I'd rather take David Kase from Sparta
Yeah I agree just listed him as one of "those experienced" guys, Dont really want him at WC either. We will have Kovar and Cervenka and thats enough for the veterans lol ... let the young guys play!

Reactions: Czechboy

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
NLA is probably our best league outside of NHL and AHL right now for Czech players..
I remember some interview few years ago with some czech player who was playing in Swiss League. I'm not sure who was that player (maybe Kovar) ... and the question was: What is so special about playing in swiss hockey league? And he didn't answer money, he said "every day (match day) you sleep at home 👍 for players with families and kids is this probably main reason to play in NLA + add solid money of cource 🤪
Switzerland is 50% of the area of the Czech Republic.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I know a lot of the Czech posters REALLY wanted Zadina in our Top 6 at the world's ... it's not looking good...

Translation: Zadina is injured again and his season may be over.

• Wow
Reactions: Goodman68

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
According to this article, which is about czech GM Martin Havlat and his negotiations with czech players from America. None player said definite no to WCH (not even Hertl) and it looks like all playes want to play and even young players are being considered (specifically he mentions Svozil and D. Špaček). But time will tell more he is in touch with all of them 👍

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
According to this article, which is about czech GM Martin Havlat and his negotiations with czech players from America. None player said definite no to WCH (not even Hertl) and it looks like all playes want to play and even young players are being considered (specifically he mentions Svozil and D. Špaček). But time will tell more he is in touch with all of them 👍

Surprised they mentioned Frk (who I want and think will be a very good Euro next season)!

Only name missing was Jakub Galvas to me.

I won't lie, not very optimistic on this team being stronger than last year's team. Coach has some work to do!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Surprised they mentioned Frk (who I want and think will be a very good Euro next season)!

Only name missing was Jakub Galvas to me.

I won't lie, not very optimistic on this team being stronger than last year's team. Coach has some work to do!
Frk will be invisible again on the bigger field:laugh: He can't skate, either..;):laugh:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Frk will be invisible again on the bigger field:laugh: He can't skate, either..;):laugh:
I think he'll do well next season in Europe. Time will tell. Feel free to bookmark it and laugh at me in a year.

Most .ppg AHL forwards do succeed when returning to Europe.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I think he'll do well next season in Europe. Time will tell. Feel free to bookmark it and laugh at me in a year.

Most .ppg AHL forwards do succeed when returning to Europe.
I definitely don't think he's a bad player. But the NHL and the national team play at a different speed. And I know where his biggest weakness is. It was also shown before some WCH, when he came to the team as a backup from the NHL, where he then played a relatively successful part of the season (by his standards, he mainly played in the NHL at all, which in retrospect is a success for him) and in the preparation for the championship he was so unremarkable, that priority was given to players from Europe. Deservedly.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I definitely don't think he's a bad player. But the NHL and the national team play at a different speed. And I know where his biggest weakness is. It was also shown before some WCH, when he came to the team as a backup from the NHL, where he then played a relatively successful part of the season (by his standards, he mainly played in the NHL at all, which in retrospect is a success for him) and in the preparation for the championship he was so unremarkable, that priority was given to players from Europe. Deservedly.
Which one is faster? NHL or national team?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why the sarcasm? Just read the experts' opinions on why he didn't succeed in the NHL.
It's not sarcasm. I said I thought he'd have a very good year in Europe next season. I think he will. I'm gathering you do not. I think he'd be dominant in Extraliga and more likely NLA. Guys like Chlapik, Repik, Stansky, Radil, Kovar, Horak or Spacek had worse careers in NHL/AHL and they all did well back in Europe.

Reactions: Mirinho

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why the sarcasm? Just read the experts' opinions on why he didn't succeed in the NHL.
1680157375813.png

Put another way.. he's been close to .ppg everywhere but the NHL.. U18, U20, AHl, ECHL, CHL...

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
View attachment 678410

Put another way.. he's been close to .ppg everywhere but the NHL.. U18, U20, AHl, ECHL, CHL...
And am I writing that he is not a good hockey player? He's just probably not good enough for the NHL. He is typically a player in the first two lines. Unfortunately, he's just not good enough to win that spot long-term. And it's just not suitable for the bottom six. Of course, this does not rule out that in worse leagues he will not have more points than many players from the bottom six.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
If Frk will go back to Europe, I will enjoy his game during the EHT tournaments. I am convinced that he will definitely play regularly in these tournaments. I love his hard shots. We are missing it so much from our "europe guys" 👍

Beause he is not well-known to the Swiss or Swedish hockey teams, I think next season he will play in Extraliga and then they will want him to NLA or SEL ... He'll be 30, perfect experienced guy.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There is no way a player lingering between NHL and AHL for so long isn't well-known for Swiss or Swedish teams. He has been an obvious target to them for years. Same-ish career trajectory as Daniel Carr or Mark Arcobello, Swiss teams are all over these guys.

Swedish teams might have an issue with his pretty massive salary though, same reason makes his move home to Extraliga almost impossible. The man is being paid 560k to play in the AHL this season.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If Frk will go back to Europe, I will enjoy his game during the EHT tournaments. I am convinced that he will definitely play regularly in these tournaments. I love his hard shots. We are missing it so much from our "europe guys" 👍

Beause he is not well-known to the Swiss or Swedish hockey teams, I think next season he will play in Extraliga and then they will want him to NLA or SEL ... He'll be 30, perfect experienced guy.
It will be interesting to see where frk ends. I remember going and seeing him live at a world jrs in Buffalo! Against Sweden and we got demolished. He was wearing a cage and one of our best players in a bad loss 6-1 maybe. Not many NHL players at that one. Petr holik was there too.

It was 6-3 and that was a very weak squad. Palat bring the only star to come out of it. Nestrasil and jerabek did play a little in NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I assume this means no Worlds! That is REALLY NOT GOOD NEWS for us! Our D was weak with him.lol

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
how d weak?

Kempny,
Sklenicka
Klok
Kostalek
Jordan
Jerabek
Musil
Kundrátek

All good players. Then add in some players from NHL and AHL. Sure its not the best D...but calling it weak is taking it too far...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad