WC: 2023 Czech Team

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was waiting for trade deadline to be over to start this one.

It's not looking the best tbh. A lot of our AHL guys didn't crack the NHL. I think a bunch are headed back to Europe soon unfortunately. No one could've convinced me that Lauko would have the best season out of him, Kaut, Zboril and Hajek.lol

I am guessing that guys like Sustr, Frk, Zboril, Hajek and R. Zohorna are all looking at European options. Pure guess. I also think, despite their NHL struggles, they'll all go on to become very good Euro leaguers like Spacek and Chlapik have. So the fact a guy like Lakatos is killing it in the Extraliga and a guy like Kaut definitely isn't, I think Kaut's the better player if they are in the same league (which they very well may be soon.lol).

Guys I'd like to see considered for the nominations...

From Europe: Spacek, Smejkal, Cervenka, Kovar, Klok, Chlapik, Flek, Sedlak, Kempny

From Eastern conference: Zadina, Kubalik, Gudas (if he resigns which is todays rumour)

From Western conference: Vejmelka, Mrazek, Vladar, Vrana, Hertl, Dostal, Kaut, Sustr, Simek, Hronek

From AHL: Galvas, Kral, Dostal, R. Zohorna, Jiricek, Kulich, Knot, Zboril, Hajek, Blumel, Jenik, Rousek

The good news is we have 4 NHL goalies avaialable assumign Flames don't make it and Dostal stays in the NHL (was hoping for a Stolarz trade). I know Mrazek had a rough year but he's on a tanking team and still good a goalie. Him and Vejmelka would be my tandem and let them battle it out.

D is weak.. it's going to be weak for awhile. Hoping we can somehow get Jiricek from AHL to play but not sure if Columbus is poised for a deep run or not. I actually think we have better D in the AHL than Europe right now. My ideal would probably be something like Hronek, Simek, Jiricek, Klok, Knot and Kempny. Then hope for Gudas or Rutta to become available. I get some don't like players like Jordan and Kempny but I think the coach values players like that.

F is not terrifying but not elite by any means. No Pasta or Krejci to save the day. A lot of good forwards though who all do well in their leagues.

I think this team will have more Extraligers than usual too as Jalonen is looking for role players. I think a potential metal hinges on if we get an NHL goalie, Hronek comes and Hertl comes. Round 1 eliminations could include guys like Chytil, Necas, Palat, Vanecek, Kampf, Rutta, Depending which teams play each other. But, let's face it, Kampf will be available :)

Last one: We always play for a month or so before it begins. I'd like to see guys like (if available) Sale, Svozil, Spacek, Mysak, Krutil, Malik and even Pytlik included in those games. Not because I think they'll make the team but for experience with the NT and to help their development.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR.. I'm positive I made lots of mistakes! Typing while drinking coffee so let me have it! Who'd I miss? Who'd I include that isn't available or should never be on NT.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I was waiting for trade deadline to be over to start this one.

It's not looking the best tbh. A lot of our AHL guys didn't crack the NHL. I think a bunch are headed back to Europe soon unfortunately. No one could've convinced me that Lauko would have the best season out of him, Kaut, Zboril and Hajek.lol

I am guessing that guys like Sustr, Frk, Zboril, Hajek and R. Zohorna are all looking at European options. Pure guess. I also think, despite their NHL struggles, they'll all go on to become very good Euro leaguers like Spacek and Chlapik have. So the fact a guy like Lakatos is killing it in the Extraliga and a guy like Kaut definitely isn't, I think Kaut's the better player if they are in the same league (which they very well may be soon.lol).

Guys I'd like to see considered for the nominations...

From Europe: Spacek, Smejkal, Cervenka, Kovar, Klok, Chlapik, Flek, Sedlak, Kempny

From Eastern conference: Zadina, Kubalik, Gudas (if he resigns which is todays rumour)

From Western conference: Vejmelka, Mrazek, Vladar, Vrana, Hertl, Dostal, Kaut, Sustr, Simek, Hronek

From AHL: Galvas, Kral, Dostal, R. Zohorna, Jiricek, Kulich, Knot, Zboril, Hajek, Blumel, Jenik, Rousek

The good news is we have 4 NHL goalies avaialable assumign Flames don't make it and Dostal stays in the NHL (was hoping for a Stolarz trade). I know Mrazek had a rough year but he's on a tanking team and still good a goalie. Him and Vejmelka would be my tandem and let them battle it out.

D is weak.. it's going to be weak for awhile. Hoping we can somehow get Jiricek from AHL to play but not sure if Columbus is poised for a deep run or not. I actually think we have better D in the AHL than Europe right now. My ideal would probably be something like Hronek, Simek, Jiricek, Klok, Knot and Kempny. Then hope for Gudas or Rutta to become available. I get some don't like players like Jordan and Kempny but I think the coach values players like that.

F is not terrifying but not elite by any means. No Pasta or Krejci to save the day. A lot of good forwards though who all do well in their leagues.

I think this team will have more Extraligers than usual too as Jalonen is looking for role players. I think a potential metal hinges on if we get an NHL goalie, Hronek comes and Hertl comes. Round 1 eliminations could include guys like Chytil, Necas, Palat, Vanecek, Kampf, Rutta, Depending which teams play each other. But, let's face it, Kampf will be available :)

Last one: We always play for a month or so before it begins. I'd like to see guys like (if available) Sale, Svozil, Spacek, Mysak, Krutil, Malik and even Pytlik included in those games. Not because I think they'll make the team but for experience with the NT and to help their development.
:thumbu:at least for the effort:D

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1677980389366.png

NLA scoring leaders.. Chlapik faded! 37 points in 49 games which isn't bad but I thought he'd be higher.

NLA may be key for us this season.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1677980607742.png

SHL scoring leaders.. Smejkal!

1677980648497.png

Sklenicka was top 10 for D.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1677980772945.png

Extraliga scoring leaders...

Not much jumping out at me... I'd stiill like Plekanec but it isn't happening.

Sedlak is one I'd want.

Rest are more bottom 6 role players that are probably not top 20 in scoring. Sobotka, Repik, Nestrasil, Radil? Maybe? Not the best league.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
AHL...

Lots of interesting players who can be good adds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_39.png
    Screenshot_39.png
    238 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_40.png
    Screenshot_40.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_41.png
    Screenshot_41.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 6

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
AHL...

Lots of interesting players who can be good adds.
Big time! We have better players in AHL than Europe right now! And they probably won't be available.

Eg. Jiricek was on team last year and would get more minutes this year but may be in AHL playoffs instead. Kulich would be a great add for experience in bottom 6 and may not be release. Dostal may be sent to AHL after NHL season is over. Galvas would make our D as well but may go to AHL playoffs. Very frustrating. Knot is another one. Maybe Kral too but he's not playing and I have no idea what is going on there. Frk and Rousek are other guys I'd like to see considered. Kaut is another one I'd like to see get a tryout. I'm not 100% optimistic about this year.. we were gifted Hertl, Vrana, Hronek, Krejci and Pasta last time.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Just euro-guys:

Cervenka - Kovar - Sedlak
Smejkal - Spacek - Stransky
Sekac - Chaplik - Lakatos
Radil - Zohorna - Zohorna

Kempny - Sklenicka
Klok - Kostalek
Jordan - Jerabek

Hrubec
Langhamer

Its a strong team. Too bad that Sulak choosed the dark side....otherwise he would be a good add.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just euro-guys:

Cervenka - Kovar - Sedlak
Smejkal - Spacek - Stransky
Sekac - Chaplik - Lakatos
Radil - Zohorna - Zohorna

Kempny - Sklenicka
Klok - Kostalek
Jordan - Jerabek

Hrubec
Langhamer

Its a strong team. Too bad that Sulak choosed the dark side....otherwise he would be a good add.
That's another one that would help us from the AHL .. Radim Zohorna and he's buried in Toronto on his 3rd AHL team. And Matej Blumel is buried too!

No Czech fan is fan of our D.lol Not even the NHL version.haha

My current fav Euro is Smejkal... hope he gets a 1 way NHL contract next season but am skeptical.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
My 3 lines without Bruins guys, Necas, Chytil, Faksa etc. (NHL play off teams)

Kubalik - Hertl - Vrana
Cervenka - Kovar - Blumel
Sedlak - M. Spacek - Smejkal

And the rest available guys like Rousek, Kulich, Frk, Kaut, Zadina etc. invite to training camp and let them "battle" for their place in the team. If. I'll be Kari I'd even try Sapovaliv, Sale and atleast 3 other guys from U20 team in first matches in training camp (I think webare playing 2x with Germany and 2x with Slovakia at the beginning)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My 3 lines without Bruins guys, Necas, Chytil, Faksa etc. (NHL play off teams)

Kubalik - Hertl - Vrana
Cervenka - Kovar - Blumel
Sedlak - M. Spacek - Smejkal

And the rest available guys like Rousek, Kulich, Frk, Kaut, Zadina etc. invite to training camp and let them "battle" for their place in the team. If. I'll be Kari I'd even try Sapovaliv, Sale and atleast 3 other guys from U20 team in first matches in training camp (I think webare playing 2x with Germany and 2x with Slovakia at the beginning)
Love those lines... I'd sleep well at night if that was what we had going in! Agree about giving those players a tryout.

I also would love to see some of our U20 guys (including svozil and spacek if available) to be given as many exhibition games as possible. I know they'd be cut but I want them practicing with us and getting experience in those series against the Swiss, Slovaks, Austrians and Germans. Learn the new system.

What do you see for the D? What's your best case scenario?

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Love those lines... I'd sleep well at night if that was what we had going in! Agree about giving those players a tryout.

I also would love to see some of our U20 guys (including svozil and spacek if available) to be given as many exhibition games as possible. I know they'd be cut but I want them practicing with us and getting experience in those series against the Swiss, Slovaks, Austrians and Germans. Learn the new system.

What do you see for the D? What's your best case scenario?
My best case scenario for the D is probably far from reality (I'm not even sure if Canucks are 100% out of play off this year). If yes my defense is:
Hronek - Simek
Jiricek - Kempny
Klok - Sklenicka
+ Jerabek, Zabransky, Jordan, Mozik etc. (I mean classic EHT defenders) for last 2 spots on the roster. Special additions would be our young defenders Galvas, Svozil, Spacek D. ... maybe the'll show the are better than our "EHT" defenders.

And I don't believe to Penguins and Panthers this year. I think they'll end in 1st round so I think one of Gudas or Rutta will come to Riga 👍

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My best case scenario for the D is probably far from reality (I'm not even sure if Canucks are 100% out of play off this year). If yes my defense is:
Hronek - Simek
Jiricek - Kempny
Klok - Sklenicka
+ Jerabek, Zabransky, Jordan, Mozik etc. (I mean classic EHT defenders) for last 2 spots on the roster. Special additions would be our young defenders Galvas, Svozil, Spacek D. ... maybe the'll show the are better than our "EHT" defenders.

And I don't believe to Penguins and Panthers this year. I think they'll end in 1st round so I think one of Gudas or Rutta will come to Riga 👍
That's a good d core! Gudas is UFA so cheer for Pittsburgh to lose! Rutta has had a decent season.

Reactions: Mirinho

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Hronek - Simek
Jiricek - Kempny
Klok - Sklenicka

Certainly not Zábranský, he has no chance. I also don't believe that Jeřábek and Sklenička would be close to the ji nomination, the last time I know they played together (Olympics?) and both performed disastrously. In recent years, he was the best defender of the Czech extra league Kundrátek, and finally confirmed it repeatedly even in the national team, where he was one of the best players.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Certainly not Zábranský, he has no chance. I also don't believe that Jeřábek and Sklenička would be close to the ji nomination, the last time I know they played together (Olympics?) and both performed disastrously. In recent years, he was the best defender of the Czech extra league Kundrátek, and finally confirmed it repeatedly even in the national team, where he was one of the best players.
I just looked at last years roster and Sklenicka was there. I'm not a huge fan but I think they Czechs love him.

Funny stat... our leading scorer was Kundratek with 4 points. Jiricek was second with 2 points tying him with Hronek, Simek and Jordan. Not much offence from our D at all last time!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I just looked at last years roster and Sklenicka was there. I'm not a huge fan but I think they Czechs love him.

Funny stat... our leading scorer was Kundratek with 4 points. Jiricek was second with 2 points tying him with Hronek, Simek and Jordan. Not much offence from our D at all last time!
I think that after that Sklenička tournament, he stopped playing in the national team at big tournaments. Many people make a lineup that puts together players from foreign leagues and ignores the Czech extra league. At the same time, such a Kundrátek was sovereign for the last two years and even better in PO. And in the national team he was a class above players like Sklenička, that cannot be compared at all.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
2023 Calder Cup Playoff Primer

The playoff matchups in AHL based on current standings, Rochester against Cleveland in preliminary is not what we want to see, cause it means that either Jiricek or Kulich, Rousek will advance and therefore be very probably unavailable for WC.

What we need is for Cleveland to lose the fifth spot and not reach the playoffs and then Rochester lose in the preliminary (its just best of 3 so the series will be short). Thats the best possible scenario lol, cause I really think that Rousek, Kulich and Jiricek should all go to WC and it will be amazing to have all of them.

As for other AHL guys I would consider Galvas and Frk. Both also will be probably playing in preliminary round, and can be available before the WC. And Dostal of course, but It will be really hard for him, since we will have a lot of great GKs from NHL and europe available, so there will be really a big battle for those three spots.

Blumel, Zohorna and Lauko are unlikely due to standings of their teams. Lauko also playing with Boston.

Kaut will be available, but without a contract, so I think he is also unlikely.

As for other guys I think we currently have better alternatives in europe.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
As for NHLers I heard thats Hertl had another kid born lately so it is very unlikely that he goes to WC and will probably want to be with family. Thats understandable, but also sadly a very big hit for offense. We currently have only two "elite" attackers availble from NHL Vrana and Kubalik (if you can call Kubalik elite lol, but deffinitely will be a big boost for offense).

Good news is that either CAR or NJD will face NYR in the first round, so at least one of the trio Necas, Palat, Chytil will be available. Although Chytil without contract, so not very likely to go.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
View attachment 663394

Extraliga scoring leaders...

Not much jumping out at me... I'd stiill like Plekanec but it isn't happening.

Sedlak is one I'd want.

Rest are more bottom 6 role players that are probably not top 20 in scoring. Sobotka, Repik, Nestrasil, Radil? Maybe? Not the best league.
I dont know I see a lot of interesting players here. Lot of interesting and promising young guys which can really be a good adittion at WC or at least get a chance in pre wc tournaments.

There is Stransky, Lakatos, Flynn, Najman A., Tomasek, Kubik, Horky, Kodytek, Kousal etc. all of them has really good seasons behind them and can fight for wc spot and show off there.

The more experienced guys like Repik, Sedlak, Hyka, Radil, Holik (really want to see him in NT), Sobotka, Nestasil, still solid guys.

Also dont get why consider extraliga worse then other top leagues. Sure liiga and shl is maybe a bit better, and nla maybe also (although I would say is more on par with elh). But its nothing drastical and for example with nla, There is one big advantage we have against them. If you look at top 50 scoring in nla there is only like 11 swiss guys, the rest is foreign players. But in elh there is almost 40 (38) czech players in top 50. So yeah nla is quality league, maybe even more then elh, but the quality there is produced by foreigners and not by swiss players.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I dont know I see a lot of interesting players here. Lot of interesting and promising young guys which can really be a good adittion at WC or at least get a chance in pre wc tournaments.

There is Stransky, Lakatos, Flynn, Najman A., Tomasek, Kubik, Horky, Kodytek, Kousal etc. all of them has really good seasons behind them and can fight for wc spot and show off there.

The more experienced guys like Repik, Sedlak, Hyka, Radil, Holik (really want to see him in NT), Sobotka, Nestasil, still solid guys.

Also dont get why consider extraliga worse then other top leagues. Sure liiga and shl is maybe a bit better, and nla maybe also (although I would say is more on par with elh). But its nothing drastical and for example with nla, There is one big advantage we have against them. If you look at top 50 scoring in nla there is only like 11 swiss guys, the rest is foreign players. But in elh there is almost 40 (38) czech players in top 50. So yeah nla is quality league, maybe even more then elh, but the quality there is produced by foreigners and not by swiss players.
I agree with all but Repik. We don't need another "experienced guys". With Cervenka, Kovar, maybe Vrana, Kubalik etc. i rly don't want 34 years old Repik who is very bad vs Trinec. Right now 6th match is live on TV. I'd rather take David Kase from Sparta

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3