NFL GDT: 2023 AFC Wild Card Round: (4) Houston Texans vs (5) Cleveland Browns

HOU vs CLE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not going to happen. Really, next season sets up to be them missing the playoffs. Burrow will be back a full season, and Baltimore will still be Baltimore. Watson hasn’t shown any sign he can match what Jackson and Burrow do.

Yeah, I'm aware that they have to go with Watson but sweet Jesus, you have to pray. With that said, I doubt he ever gets back close to what he was in Houston. But if he can just be a Lawrence-level QB the Browns are a massive contender IMO. Hopefully Chubb can still be that guy. Everyone talks about Flacco and QBs and everyone has forgotten that the Browns are missing a top 3 back.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, I'm aware that they have to go with Watson but sweet Jesus, you have to pray. With that said, I doubt he ever gets back close to what he was in Houston. But if he can just be a Lawrence-level QB the Browns are a massive contender IMO. Hopefully Chubb can still be that guy. Everyone talks about Flacco and QBs and everyone has forgotten that the Browns are missing a top 3 back.
As much as I love Chubb and want him back, he also just turned 28.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Defraud Watson and his stupid contract has the highest cap hit in the entire league next season

Cleveland’s GM is as dumb as Denver’s

That shit was the owner. Watson turned them down. The public knew he turned them down. Dude was going to be in Atlanta if it wasn't for Cleveland going Hail Mary with that contract offer.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
These announcers praising the Texans improving their run defense failed to mention the main reason those numbers are so much better is Stroud. Opponents stop calling as many run plays when your new quality QB has you scoring points and getting leads.
Yup.

And on that note, "Run to set up the pass" hasn't been a thing since like 1988. You can't run the ball in the modern NFL unless you have a QB that can stretch the field consistently. Take a look at the Jets (actually don't, it is ugly), Breece Hall is great but 8 men in the box meet him every run play.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Defraud Watson and his stupid contract has the highest cap hit in the entire league next season

Cleveland’s GM is as dumb as Denver’s

To be fair, Watson plays the best air guitar in the league.

That’s pretty much his legacy in Cleveland, playing air guitar in the end zone.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
In retrospect, Baker Mayfield trying to gut through a f***ed shoulder might be the biggest moment in recent Browns history.

Sure he wasn't great, but if they don't run him out of town they also don't go after Watson and let some other dipshit franchise take that bullet.

Now with Watson's underperformance and the fact his cap hit severely restricts their ability to maintain their roster...they're kinda screwed.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good for the Texans.

And man, if not for signing one certain player, the Browns might've been the most easy team to root for in recent memory. Alas, they did sign him, so even though he wasn't playing I'm quite glad that Cleveland lost.

Reactions: LT

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

You may remember that Josh Allen game as the one where they scored 7 touchdowns on 7 drives. This kid is it. If my team passed on him I’d fire everyone.

Reactions: LT

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

You may remember that Josh Allen game as the one where they scored 7 touchdowns on 7 drives. This kid is it. If my team passed on him I’d fire everyone.

Have to see how situation ends up for Bears at this point

Bears can still come out big winner here depending how they utilize rest of picks from that trade

- Bears traded 9th overall (DT Jalen Carter) to Eagles for 10th overall (RT Darnell Wright) + 2024 4th round pick (?)

- Bears traded 61st overall (TE Brenton Strange ) + 136th overall (LB Yasir Abdullah) to Jaguars for 56th overall (CB Tyrique Stevenson)

Trade tree/asset management perspective thus far Bears have

WR DJ Moore
RT Darnell Wright (2023 1st, 10th overall)
CB Tyrique Stevenson (2023 2nd, 56th overall)
2024 Panthers 1st round pick (1st overall)
2024 Eagles 4th round pick (?)
2025 Panthers 2nd round pick (?)

So far looking promising for Bears but of course this year's draft is major moment for franchise

Panthers on other hand head into next year needing to see something from Young. If he struggles again, they may seriously have to consider moving on after 2 years (If a QB drafted high is awful in first two years usually its safe indicator you drafted bust)

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
I was shocked to find out the Browns were 5-1 with Watson this year, and if I understand his injury correctly, he played his last game with his shoulder not being held by anything on the bone?

He might never return to the level he once was but the team seems strong enough that they'll still win plenty of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad