2023-24 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not sure if he will end up in Utica at all but would be a nice add if he does.

Tierney Signs One-Year, Two-Way Contract with Devils | RELEASE
I agree with you on what a great addition it would be in Utica, but I just don't see it. This will be his 10th professional season. He has basically been an NHL player for most of that time. He started his first pro season slpit with the NHL Sharks (43GP) and the AHL Sharks (29). His 2nd season he played 2 games in the AHL.
His next visit to the AHL wasn't until last season when Florida assigned him directly to the AHL Charlotte Checkers at the beginning of the season. He was recalled to Florida and played 13 games (2/1/3Pts) before they tried to re-assign him to Charlotte. He was claimed off waivers by Montreal (2/23/23). He played 23 games there (1/6/7Pts), but was not re-signed for this season.

Thus, he is now a NJ Devils FA acquisition. I believe of the 3 FA forwards they have picked up in Dowling, Criscuolo, and Tierney, that Tierney is the best of the trio. He has the NHL experience. If NJ is looking to put a veteran on their roster as an extra forward, he's that player.

All 3 are centers and the Comets need players to fill that need. There is no doubt about that, but the Comets have 2 veteran D who will start and then Gambardella on LW. The Comets have re-signed him. All 3 of those would-be centers are Veterans by AHL rules. Schmelzer is a VE and could play with 5 Vets in the lineup. If Tierney is added to the mix one of the 6 "Veterans" would have to sit.

Dowling played 22 games for the Canucks in 2021-22, but played all of last season with AHL Abbotsford.
Dowling's less than 100% effort at all times along with less than adequate NHL speed makes him undesirable.

Criscuolo is an AHL player. The Devils don't want him.

Tierney having been basically an NHL player the last 9 years save 20 last season, makes him the likely extra for the Devils. He makes 12 forwards. They need at least 1 more - Foote not being waiver exempt is likely to stick at least for the time being, 13.

13 forwards and 7 D after they sign Bahl leaves 1 slot open. They could just leave it at that. If such that means Nemec, Holtz, and Clarke would start out in Utica. This doesn't match up with the predictions many of the Devils faithful have made.

The whole point right now is that we have no idea what Fitz has up his sleeve. It's only July 14th. He just keeps making moves. Lots more time for him to make things much more interesting.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tierney's contract wouldn't be two-way if him being in Utica wasn't an option. He may or may not end up there, but it certainly wouldn't be a surprise if he did.
You are correct. My Utica buddy above and I have the same thoughts, however, all we can do is wait and see. Counting Tierney, the Devils now have 12 forwards listed by CapFriendly. All with NHL experience and Mercer (2yrs) the only one still on an ELC for this his last year.

Holtz, Foote, Clarke, and Thompson are not on that list. Foote and Thompson would have to clear waivers.

I don't think NJ would miss Thompson, but I also don't think any NHL team breaking camp would want to put him on their NHL roster, which they would have to if they claimed him.

Foote may be a different story, but that mass final release of players from the NHL on the final roster day to the AHL, usually sees most players slide through since they have worked all summer and preseason to lock down a final roster

I think Clarke is already ticketed here, at least to start.

Holtz is the Dark horse. He may get the chance to fill a game day roster slot. If he doesn't work out just yet, he can go back down and this would be his last AHL season to get his s**t together.

They know they will keep 13 and Holtz could be that guy, while either Lazar or Tierney is the extra. Foote could make 14 if they go that route and they would carry the 7 D they have.

I get feeling that they will start with 13 forwards and 7 D and go with that knowing any loss of either a D or F is replaced in a short car ride.

I'm not sure Fitz is completely done yet. Tierney didn't costs them any more than the 4 guys I was just jockeying around. They all have basically the same NHL pay rate. There are more like him available. If they are going to be sitting in the press box better a minimum rate vet than a prospect who needs to play every day. They made that mistake with Holtz last season and Ruff finally realized it when Holtz asked to be sent down to Utica. He will stgart the season at 21 and not turn 22 until January. He's basically 1 year older than any Canadian who would come out of Jrs. and entered his rookie year of participation as a pro this season. He is not a failed project because he's not in the NHL at 21. I agree his clock is ticking, but the alarm is not set.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Holtz is the Dark horse.
1689618720776.png

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Guess he's on the very edge of pro hockey now, signing for the only independent AHL team

Really curious to see how this works for them.

Dependent on the pay, I can’t imagine it’s all that different than what he would make on an NHL deal now.

To a certain extent, some of these guys can just focus on playing together as a team and not worrying about losing an important piece at any point in the season.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The Wolves might as well have been independent for the last two decades given the way they operate. prospect development and having to give a damn about what's going on with their NHL affiliate have always been inconveniences to them rather than their goal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Guess he's on the very edge of pro hockey now, signing for the only independent AHL team

If he keeps at it, he may still become a starter in the NHL! He's only 34 years old now!:sarcasm:

I'm actually surprised he wasn't more sought after, especially with the current goalie problem in the league/pro hockey. His AHL numbers have been solid to pretty good the last several years, as have his annual NHL cups of coffee, but he's only played 12 games in the NHL since being demoted to the AHL by Montreal in 19-20.

One of the other more popular third string AHL guys Michael Hutchinson hasn't been signed yet either. And he's even a year younger than Kinkaid. Jon Gillies has not been signed either lol.

I would have been okay with Kinkaid being signed by us to play in the AHL, but we signed Kallgren way back on or around July 1st.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If he keeps at it, he may still become a starter in the NHL! He's only 34 years old now!:sarcasm:

I'm actually surprised he wasn't more sought after, especially with the current goalie problem in the league/pro hockey. His AHL numbers have been solid to pretty good the last several years, as have his annual NHL cups of coffee, but he's only played 12 games in the NHL since being demoted to the AHL by Montreal in 19-20.

One of the other more popular third string AHL guys Michael Hutchinson hasn't been signed yet either. And he's even a year younger than Kinkaid. Jon Gillies has not been signed either lol.

I would have been okay with Kinkaid being signed by us to play in the AHL, but we signed Kallgren way back on or around July 1st.
Didn't Kinkaid's uncle burn the bridge on his way out of town?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nepotism much? It helps to have a last name Fitzgerald or MacKinnon to get an AHL contract with the Comets.
Brodeur doesn't hurt either, LOL.
The good thing is that the 2 with ECHL careers to date are on 2-way AHL contracts, MacKinnon and Brodeur. Unless Dineen is under upper managemnet pressure they likely end up in Adirondack. The Comets announcement labeled them "DEPTH". Dineen has put his past summers' depth signings in the ECHL.

Fitzgerald (the 3rd), has been with an AHL team all 6 of his professional seasons. His problem of late has been hip surgery to both hips and that's basically cost him 2 seasons. If, and I agree it's a big IF, he can return to his past status, he could help Utica.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How many Utica games are typically played on WKTV? Trying to set up my Tivimate favorites for hockey season.
I can't give you much on this. The dates were on Saturdays for the most part and we won't know until WKTV posts their schedule. It's not even certain that they will.

I'll keep you informed the minute they do if someone else doesn't beat me to it, Ben Birnell or
UticaHockey would be the 2 I'd expect to post as soon as they know. Birnell is with the Rome Sentinel newspaper and also has his own website so he'd be the guy I think that will post it first. LOL

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Here is the list of players that officially become free agents on August 15th and off of teams' reserve lists. Which ones do you think will be in high demand?

John Farinacci (C) - ARI (76 OA; '19)
Demetrios Koumontzis (LW) - CGY (108 OA; '18)
Kevin Wall (C) - CAR (181 OA; '19)
Jake Wise (C) - CHI (68 OA; '18)
Robbie Stucker (RD) - CBJ (210 OA; '17) - Signed 2023/24 ECHL contract with Iowa Heartlanders (MIN affiliate)
Robert Mastrosimone (LW) - DET (54 OA; '19)
Skyler Brind'Amour (C) - EDM (177 OA; '17) - Signed 2023/24 AHL contract with Charlotte Checkers (FLA affiliate)
Christian Krygier (LD) - NYI (196 OA; '18) - Signed 2023/24 AHL contract with Bridgeport Islanders (NYI affiliate)
Jacob Pivonka (C) - NYI (103 OA; '18) - Signed 2023/24 AHL contract with Bridgeport Islanders (NYI affiliate)
Jakov Novak (LW/C) - OTT (188 OA; '18) - Signed 2023/24 AHL contract with Laval Rocket (MTL affiliate)
Jonny Tychonick (LD) - OTT (48 OA; '18) - Signed 2023/24 AHL contract with Toronto Marlies (TOR affiliate)
Jay O'Brien (C) - PHI (19 OA; '18)*
Arvid Henrikson
(RD) - SJS (187 OA; '16) - Signed 2023/24 Allsvenskan contract with Västerviks (Europe)
Ryan O'Connell (LD) - TOR (203 OA; '17)
Harrison Blaisdell (C) - WPG (134 OA; '19)
Jared Moe (G) - WPG (184 OA; '18)

* - Team will receive a compensatory draft pick if player goes unsigned.

From the main board thread, haven’t done enough digging if any of these are viable options for Utica.

On quick glance, Wise, Farinacci, and O’ Brien look like they could be viable center options. Not sure I would sign O’Brien from a Devils perspective to give the Flyers a free second, but I suppose if someone else is going to then why not.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
From the main board thread, haven’t done enough digging if any of these are viable options for Utica.

On quick glance, Wise, Farinacci, and O’ Brien look like they could be viable center options. Not sure I would sign O’Brien from a Devils perspective to give the Flyers a free second, but I suppose if someone else is going to then why not.

The Flyers get the 2nd whether or not he signs with anyone.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I don't really see any of these guys as more than a shot in the dark They are coming off meh full college careers and would be signed as free agents. I don't think they are worth a NJ contract. If they were to sign any of them to an AHL contract, chances are they'd end up in Adirondack unless they blew away the coaching staff in pre-season camp and IMO I don't see that happening. However, there would be no harm in an AHL 2-way contract. Lightning does strike, but it's truly rare.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Let’s hope the Hughes bros and Fitzgeralds chatted up John Farinacci at Brady Tkachuk’s wedding.

He would play in the AHL, not in the ECHL.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't really see any of these guys as more than a shot in the dark They are coming off meh full college careers and would be signed as free agents. I don't think they are worth a NJ contract. If they were to sign any of them to an AHL contract, chances are they'd end up in Adirondack unless they blew away the coaching staff in pre-season camp and IMO I don't see that happening. However, there would be no harm in an AHL 2-way contract. Lightning does strike, but it's truly rare.

Farinacci has 61 points in 79 college games, in what world does that player get sent to the ECHL? Same deal with O'Brien.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad