2023-24 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We didn’t really pass on Logan Morrison as a free agent, I doubt we had a shot.

He personally knew someone in the Dallas org and they have one of the top AHL teams in the league. They simply blow us out of the water in terms of signings and recruiting.

And the Stars still didn’t sign him. Seattle did, to play on one of the hottest teams in the AHL, Coachella, which just lost in the Calder Cup Finals in Game 7 to Hershey.

Seattle threw a lot of money around last pre-season in building that team, and also with some strong recruiting of unsigned FA signings, that team took off.

It’s easier to recruit when you have a cool, brand new 11k seat facility 35 minutes from Palm Springs, CA. (And luckily for them, they don’t have to call the team the Palm Springs Firebirds because that’s dorky.)

Other teams have help with recruitment with their teams location and arena. No offense to Utica, but a lot of young people would probably prefer San Diego, Austin, Toronto, etc.

Other teams are helped by their AHL teams past history of success like Hershey and Texas. Or just a historical tendency of FAs to sign with them (Boston, NY Rangers, Detroit).

Other teams are helped by their team’s history of turning recent undrafted players into NHL Nashville really sticks out here, but Pittsburgh is another. (We did do this with Kevin Rooney, who’s now up to 227 NHL GP and signed this year for 1.3m with Calgary.)

That aside, we need to do better if we want to stay competitive. It’s what good teams do. And teams like Buffalo and Columbus are doing better at this right now.
That’s all well and good but these kids all have agents who aren’t children and I’d think an obvious path to the NHL would trump a fancy AHL arena or AHL playoffs. At this point NJ should be a top destination for a young center. The need for ELC contracts is obvious as is the spot for a bottom six center. Do you want to play in NJ after a season at Utica or some premier AHL destination for an organization that has three center prospects ahead of you?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That’s all well and good but these kids all have agents who aren’t children and I’d think an obvious path to the NHL would trump a fancy AHL arena or AHL playoffs. At this point NJ should be a top destination for a young center. The need for ELC contracts is obvious as is the spot for a bottom six center. Do you want to play in NJ after a season at Utica or some premier AHL destination for an organization that has three center prospects ahead of you?
I mean you kind of answered yourself as to why the Devils fail to attract centers for their AHL team.

One look at the NHL roster and you have Hischier, Hughes, and Mercer to compete with for top of the lineup spots. Not to mention any UFA additions. You also have a former first round pick in McLeod who has transformed himself into an ideal 4C utility forward. There really isn’t any spot for a young prospect center long-term.

The Devils best bet at this point would be a journeyman AHL 1C like when they acquired Ben Street. Maybe you find a young center who wants the challenge of pushing himself onto a competitive team, but most will probably go where the path to an NHL spot is easier or the AHL location is more desirable.

Devils are also already pushed up against the veteran limit. Unless they had plans for Criscuolo or Dowling to be on the NHL team, adding a guy like Grimaldi will result in sitting one of the better AHL players.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I mean you kind of answered yourself as to why the Devils fail to attract centers for their AHL team.

One look at the NHL roster and you have Hischier, Hughes, and Mercer to compete with for top of the lineup spots. Not to mention any UFA additions. You also have a former first round pick in McLeod who has transformed himself into an ideal 4C utility forward. There really isn’t any spot for a young prospect center long-term.

The Devils best bet at this point would be a journeyman AHL 1C like when they acquired Ben Street. Maybe you find a young center who wants the challenge of pushing himself onto a competitive team, but most will probably go where the path to an NHL spot is easier or the AHL location is more desirable.

Devils are also already pushed up against the veteran limit. Unless they had plans for Criscuolo or Dowling to be on the NHL team, adding a guy like Grimaldi will result in sitting one of the better AHL players.
NJ has a one year deal with McLeod and the other guys like Haula and Mercer are playing a fair amount of wing. I’d think a bottom six center would have a quick path to NJ available. The one caveat that jumps out at me isn’t so much the top six but rather the ascension of the team which can’t really develop prospects at thr NHL level anymore and will expect more polished play from the bottom six at this point.

Reactions: Guadana

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Rocco Grimaldi is still unsigned.
I'll repeat his value
-30-yrs old
RH W/C
2022-23 > 73/Pts/70GP 33G/40A
.82 PPG over 361 AHL GP
He is a very productive AHL player.
Has played 203 NHL games and would be available for an emergency call-up.

Have to believe he's hunting high and low for an NHL team to give him another 2-way.

He was on an AHL contract last summer with Anaheim and then after 54 games and leading the team in scoring (56 PTS/54GP), he was traded to AHL Rockford where he finished the season (17 PTS/16GP).

He is exactly the veteran type of player missing from the Comets lineup since Chase DeLeo and A.J. Greer departed after 2021-22.

With all the available contracts they have signing him wouldn't be a tax on the available deals they have on hand. His last deal was a 1-way. After getting no bites and having to settle for an AHL deal last season, maybe he'd be amenable to a decent 2-way like Dowling signed. Dowling will make $1Mil over the next 2 seasons here at $500K/season.

He's not the only guy out there looking for a deal.

Both Ritchies (Brett and Nick) are available too for cheap emergency level depth.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Morrison was old enough to be drafted in 2020 and Seattle didn’t even draft that year, so he isn’t facing much older competition in the Kraken prospect pool.

There’s opportunity for centers with almost every team.

Sometimes guys seemingly do sign with teams that don’t exactly need them but guys do sign for a variety of reasons. Some teams spend a lot on player development resources, like Toronto.

Toronto signed an army of undrafted and unsigned prospects under Dubas, and then got blocked by vets on the Leafs, but they did get a lot of extra love in their system (their prospects get daily attention with personalized training).

Detroit keeps f***ing getting guys even though their system is stuffed to the gills.

Signed guy from Elite Prospects: CHL Free Agent Guide
Alexandre Doucet 21/C/W Detroit (ELC 3/1)
Avery Hayes 20/C/RW Pittsburgh (2 year AHL deal)
Hayes was Chase Stillman’s teammate on the Petes, I was hoping that might help. Nope.
Chase Wheatcroft 21/LW Dallas (ELC 3/18)
Christoffer Sedoff 21/LHD Vegas (ELC 3/2)
Connor McClennon 21/RW Chicago Wolves (2 year AHL deal 5/31)
In a fascinating move, the former Flyers pick McClennon went with the rogue, and for now independent, AHL team.
Evan Vierling 21/C Pittsburgh (1 year AHL deal 5/17)
Dubas running the Penguins is going to make their endless signings even more endless.
Landon Kosior 20/RHD Minnesota (1 year AHL deal 6/20)
Logan Morrison 21/C Seattle (ELC 4/11)
Nolan Burke 20/C Nashville (ELC 11/14/22)
Owen Pederson 21/LW/C Boston (2 year AHL contract 5/30)
Riley Piercey 21/W NY Islanders (1 year AHL contract 5/12)

Other than the Isles this is a basically these are the teams that always sign higher end FAs these days.
Signed guys from Elite Prospects: NCAA Free Agent Guide
Sam Malinski 24/RHD Colorado (ELC 3/30)
Jake Livingstone 24/RHD Nashville (ELC 6/27)
Ryan McAllister 21/C Florida (ELC 4/3)
Florida picked up a couple FA centers. Lucky bastards.
Hunter McKown 20/C Columbus (ELC 3/20)
Other big C on the market.
Akito Hirose 24/LHD Vancouver (ELC 7/2)
Jason Polin 24/RW Colorado (ELC 3/29)
Carl Berglund 23/C Edmonton (ELC 3/22)
Wilmer Skoog 23/C Florida (1 year AHL deal 4/19)
Zach Metsa 24/RHD Buffalo (2 year AHL deal 4/14)
Travis Mitchell 23/LHD NY Islanders (ELC 3/31)
Ethan De Jong 23/RW Oilers (2 year AHL deal 4/25)
Well some players must not be too picky about where they play because some voluntarily play for the Oiler’s AHL team in Bakersfield, CA. Bakersfield is infamous for having the worst air pollution in the US. I guess some might see “California” and not realize they’re moving to a oil refinery/chemical hellhole.
Maxim Andreyev/ Andreev 24/C Seattle (1 year AHL deal 3/30)
Parker Ford 22/C/RW Winnipeg (ELC 3/25)
Max Sasson 22/C Vancouver (ELC 3/26)
Aiden Fulp 23/RHD NY Islanders (ELC 3/31)
Ethan Frisch 22/RHD San Jose (1 year AHL deal 5/24)
Chris Jandric 25/LHD Buffalo (2 year AHL deal)

Well, here you can see piteous opportunities to play (definitely Colorado, arguably NYI) likely having some sway. Vancouver said publicly that they were going to be aggressive in the unsigned FA market and it worked.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Checked in with my past Vancouver posters and their responses on Dowling are not exactly shiny.

The best remark is he will be a MIDDLING #1 C or a good #2 C.
He's a floater who disappears, but can produce.
Best assets are on the PP.

Gets injured a lot. "Gets going, is injured, comes back and needs
time to ramp up, gets going, is injured, etc.

"Durability aside, he's a quality AHL veteran. Good guy to have around the kids in the room, and a professional who will work hard and show up on and off the ice."
As to this side of him. That's okay, but the Comets have the guys who do that in Gambardella, Wotherspoon, Russo, and Schmelzer. The prospect wings need centers who are good play makers and give them opportunities to puck pucks in the net. Having a scoring touch of their own makes for the perfect partners in the middle.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Rocco Grimaldi is still unsigned.
I'll repeat his value
-30-yrs old
RH W/C
2022-23 > 73/Pts/70GP 33G/40A
.82 PPG over 361 AHL GP
He is a very productive AHL player.
Has played 203 NHL games and would be available for an emergency call-up.

Have to believe he's hunting high and low for an NHL team to give him another 2-way.

He was on an AHL contract last summer with Anaheim and then after 54 games and leading the team in scoring (56 PTS/54GP), he was traded to AHL Rockford where he finished the season (17 PTS/16GP).

He is exactly the veteran type of player missing from the Comets lineup since Chase DeLeo and A.J. Greer departed after 2021-22.

With all the available contracts they have signing him wouldn't be a tax on the available deals they have on hand. His last deal was a 1-way. After getting no bites and having to settle for an AHL deal last season, maybe he'd be amenable to a decent 2-way like Dowling signed. Dowling will make $1Mil over the next 2 seasons here at $500K/season.

He's not the only guy out there looking for a deal.
From what I understand, Grimaldi is sometimes less than popular in the locker-rooms, which might explain why he's unsigned.

We didn’t really pass on Logan Morrison as a free agent, I doubt we had a shot.

He personally knew someone in the Dallas org and they have one of the top AHL teams in the league. They simply blow us out of the water in terms of signings and recruiting.

And the Stars still didn’t sign him. Seattle did, to play on one of the hottest teams in the AHL, Coachella, which just lost in the Calder Cup Finals in Game 7 to Hershey.

Seattle threw a lot of money around last pre-season in building that team, and also with some strong recruiting of unsigned FA signings, that team took off.

It’s easier to recruit when you have a cool, brand new 11k seat facility 35 minutes from Palm Springs, CA. (And luckily for them, they don’t have to call the team the Palm Springs Firebirds because that’s dorky.)

Other teams have help with recruitment with their teams location and arena. No offense to Utica, but a lot of young people would probably prefer San Diego, Austin, Toronto, etc.

Other teams are helped by their AHL teams past history of success like Hershey and Texas. Or just a historical tendency of FAs to sign with them (Boston, NY Rangers, Detroit).

Other teams are helped by their team’s history of turning recent undrafted players into NHL Nashville really sticks out here, but Pittsburgh is another. (We did do this with Kevin Rooney, who’s now up to 227 NHL GP and signed this year for 1.3m with Calgary.)

That aside, we need to do better if we want to stay competitive. It’s what good teams do. And teams like Buffalo and Columbus are doing better at this right now.
I mean, I'm still not forgiving myself and my team in regards to Logan Morrison. I mean, we passed him in a draft for Viktor Hurtig. Man, that hurts.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
From what I understand, Grimaldi is sometimes less than popular in the locker-rooms, which might explain why he's unsigned.

I mean, I'm still not forgiving myself and my team in regards to Logan Morrison. I mean, we passed him in a draft for Viktor Hurtig. Man, that hurts.

I was getting the feeling there might be a fly in the ointment somewhere.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

we should decide who is more men persona from our latest drafts. Hurts-ig is front runner. If he will join team as 7th defenseman, I will call it “the day” for him.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I know nothing about these players, but figured it was still news:

Edit: The Fitz signing was discussed previously

Reactions: Guttersniped

Dreamer

Feb 10, 2019
Checked in with my past Vancouver posters and their responses on Dowling are not exactly shiny.

The best remark is he will be a MIDDLING #1 C or a good #2 C.
He's a floater who disappears, but can produce.
Best assets are on the PP.

Gets injured a lot. "Gets going, is injured, comes back and needs
time to ramp up, gets going, is injured, etc.

"Durability aside, he's a quality AHL veteran. Good guy to have around the kids in the room, and a professional who will work hard and show up on and off the ice."
As to this side of him. That's okay, but the Comets have the guys who do that in Gambardella, Wotherspoon, Russo, and Schmelzer. The prospect wings need centers who are good play makers and give them opportunities to puck pucks in the net. Having a scoring touch of their own makes for the perfect partners in the middle.
Do you ever have a positive word about anyone ? The free agency pool is open to all 32 teams. If you were a free agent an especially a center would you choose the Devils organization who has a young core of centers locked in for multiple years ? Would you choose Utica NY over San Diego, Las Vegas, Tucson, Palm Springs and the like ? Get out of your basement and enjoy the summer and fresh air.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Out of curiosity, where does Malgin fall under the veteran limits? He’s played mostly NHL games, but it looks like he might fall just under the VE limits.

Probably will be hard to sneak him through waivers, but he would be an amazing option if so. Would be nice depth for the NHL team too.

Thought maybe Switzerland didn’t count toward the veteran rule, but looks like it does.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Out of curiosity, where does Malgin fall under the veteran limits? He’s played mostly NHL games, but it looks like he might fall just under the VE limits.

Probably will be hard to sneak him through waivers, but he would be an amazing option if so. Would be nice depth for the NHL team too.

Thought maybe Switzerland didn’t count toward the veteran rule, but looks like it does.

They count the Swiss League as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately I can only find the ECHL vet rule written out but I assume it’s the same.

(2) The top league in each of the following countries:

a. Russia (KHL), Sweden (Swedish Elite League), Finland (SM-Liiga), German (DEL), Czech Republic (Extraliga), Slovakia (also called Extraliga) & Switzerland (NLA)”

If you just add the most recent 93 GP in the Swiss National League to his NHL & AHL GP, Malgin is up to 378 GP.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I know nothing about these players, but figured it was still news:

Edit: The Fitz signing was discussed previously

Other than being the GM's son does anyone know the story behind Ryan Fitzgerald. His hockey db stats are a bit odd. He is 28 years old and his entire career has been in the AHL. The number of games played each of the last three seasons have been very low (13, 4, and 28 respectively). Has he been injured a lot the last three years or has he consistently been the extra man on the roster that doesn't play much?

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Other than being the GM's son does anyone know the story behind Ryan Fitzgerald. His hockey db stats are a bit odd. He is 28 years old and his entire career has been in the AHL. The number of games played each of the last three seasons have been very low (13, 4, and 28 respectively). Has he been injured a lot the last three years or has he consistently been the extra man on the roster that doesn't play much?
Is he the son of Fitz that got man-handled by Okhotyuk? Or was that another prospect.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Yeah, I posted this earlier (this gives me a chance to proof read/edit, so that’s nice/new/different):

Fitzgerald has had a rough injury history.

28 GP in 2020-21 is normal though, remember that was the fake shortened AHL season, the Phantoms only played 32 games.

He led his team with 12 goals and was second in both points, with 21, and PPG, with 0.75.

But that “season” for him was 11 games vs Hershey (11GP 5G 2A 7 Pts 23SH), Bing (10GP 4G 4A 8 Pts 28SH) and WBS (7GP 3G 3A 6 Pts 14SH).

I mostly looked that up to see if he scored all his goals against Bing. (We won 7 out of 35 games while playing in our practice facility in Newark.)

Anyhoo, He was on a minor league deal but got a two-way NHL deal for 200k with Philly, then got hurt early in 2021 training camp.

It turned out he had torn labrums in both hips (!) and needed double hip surgeries (!). That’s how he ended up with 4 GP in 2021-22, he was back playing in late March. (He did get scratched at least 6 times at the end of the season too though.)

And he started the 2022-23 season with a LBI too and didn’t play until Nov 4th. He was also scratched for at least 26 games after he came back, which is how he ended up with only 13 GP. (There might be another injury in there, but I looked at the scratches and counted 26 with him, because I’m dedicated* like that.)

So the hope is he doesn’t start this season with a LBI I guess.

*Yes. That’s what this is called, no matter what my therapist says.

Is he the son that got trucked by Okhotyuk?
Nope, that was Casey Fitzgerald when he was on Buffalo. Casey was last seen in the playoffs for Florida, he got a game against Boston and Vegas. (Neither went great for him but he played.)

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Yeah, I posted this earlier (this gives me a chance to proof read/edit, so that’s nice/new/different):

Fitzgerald has had a rough injury history.

28 GP in 2020-21 is normal though, remember that was the fake shortened AHL season, the Phantoms only played 32 games.

He led his team with 12 goals and was second in both points, with 21, and PPG, with 0.75.

But that “season” for him was 11 games vs Hershey (11GP 5G 2A 7 Pts 23SH), Bing (10GP 4G 4A 8 Pts 28SH) and WBS (7GP 3G 3A 6 Pts 14SH).

I mostly looked that up to see if he scored all his goals against Bing. (We won 7 out of 35 games while playing in our practice facility in Newark.)

Anyhoo, He was on a minor league deal but got a two-way NHL deal for 200k with Philly, then got hurt early in 2021 training camp.

It turned out he had torn labrums in both hips (!) and needed double hip surgeries (!). That’s how he ended up with 4 GP in 2021-22, he was back playing in late March. (He did get scratched at least 6 times at the end of the season too though.)

And he started the 2022-23 season with a LBI too and didn’t play until Nov 4th. He was also scratched for at least 26 games after he came back, which is how he ended up with only 13 GP. (There might be another injury in there, but I looked at the scratches and counted 26 with him, because I’m dedicated* like that.)

So the hope is he doesn’t start this season with a LBI I guess.

*Yes. That’s what this is called, no matter what my therapist says.

Nope, that was Casey Fitzgerald when he was on Buffalo. Casey was last seen in the playoffs for Florida, he got a game against Boston and Vegas. (Neither went great for him but he played.)
Thanks. Double hip surgery at the same time is tough to come back from.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Do you ever have a positive word about anyone ? The free agency pool is open to all 32 teams. If you were a free agent an especially a center would you choose the Devils organization who has a young core of centers locked in for multiple years ? Would you choose Utica NY over San Diego, Las Vegas, Tucson, Palm Springs and the like ? Get out of your basement and enjoy the summer and fresh air.

I'd play in Utica if it meant even potentially sniffing a bottom 6 spot on a contender.

• Love
Reactions: Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It was announced Fitzgerald signed late last week.
Yesterday they announced the 28-yr-old was "officially" signed to a 1-wy AHL contract. A positive is that with only 240 GP that apply to Vet status he is free. That means he is officially a Comet for 2023-24 and has no impact on the team's Veteran number. Here's hoping he can come in with a clean bill of health and work in this off season to bring his conditioning up to par. If he can bring his play up to the level he had with
Providence from 2017-2020. He was not re-signed by Boston/Providence.
He was given a 1-Yr AHL deal by the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for 2020-21. He had a good run in the few games before the plug got pulled due to COVID (21Pts./28GP).
The last 2 seasons (again with Lehigh Valley) he played 17 total games putting up 2 Pts. because of his injury. After basically missing 2 seasons he will have a hard road back. Let's hope he can do it. His .53 PPG AHL numbers would be even higher if you erase those last 17 games. He would be a welcome addition to n offensively starved team if he could claw his way back and record those numbers.
Yushiroh Hirano signed an AHL 2-way as did Eric Cooley.
Hirano is 27-yrs-old and this will be his 5th pro season in NA. His 1st seasons were with the ECHL Wheeling Nailers. He recorded 32G/60A/92Pts in 119 GP.
He split the last 2 seasons between ECHL Cincinnati and AHL Abbotsford.
Cincinnati - 20G/23A/43Pts 37GP. Even better than his 1st 2 seasons.
In the ECHL he is a .87 PPG player. That number is matched and surpassed by a whole slew of ECHL players who get calls to the AHL and produce very little.
What did he do in Abbotsford?
In 2 seasons he recorded 17Pts/49GP for a .35 PPG. That's not good, but not bad. 4th line #s. The Comets have guys who put up those kind of #s back on the roster. Luckily at 27 he hasn't pl;ayed enough games to be classified as a Veteran.
Cooley is 25 and beginning just his 2nd pro season after 4 seasons at NCAA Niagara and a 5th at NCAA Ohio State. He has played 7 AHL games with Chicago and had 1 assist. In 42 GP with the ECHL Norfolk Admirals.,he has 29 Pts. That is the kind of performance in the ECHL that gets a player a shot in The AHL.
Yushiroh and Eric are on 2-way AHL contracts. They have the kind of past records that usually sees them stashed in the AHL for future emergency call-ups. Yushi has abetter chance of impressing enough to stay with the club to begin with, but his days in town would be dependent upon his performance.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How many of the remaining unsigned RFAs turned UFAs would be considered non-veterans for AHL purposes?

Was just looking at Comtois and noted he’s only played 245 professional games. I highly doubt he’d pass through waivers, but it could be an interesting depth add for the Devils that could go to the AHL without counting as a veteran for next year.

Feels like compared to last year the Devils organizational depth isn’t as strong. Wonder if they look at guys like Gregor, Wagner, Comtois, Bokk, etc. as potential AHL/NHL depth options that would also bolster the AHL team as non-veterans.

EDIT: Khodorenko is an interesting option given he’s missed time with injuries. After signing Ryan Fitzgerald, I doubt they’d be willing to risk another injury riddled forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
The 2023-24 AHL schedule was released on Wednesday (July 12th). The following is a list of games when Utica will play fairly close to North Jersey (Bridgeport, Lehigh Valley, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Hartford, Springfield) during the season, along with whether there is a Devils game that day:

*10/21 (Sat): at Bridgeport, 7:00 PM (no Devils game)
*11/17 (Fri): at Springfield, 7:00 PM (no Devils game)
*11/25 (Sat): at Springfield, 7:00 PM (Devils vs Buffalo, 7 PM)
*12/27 (Wed): at Lehigh Valley, 7:00 PM (Devils vs Columbus, 7 PM)
*03/16 (Sat): at Hartford, 6:00 PM (Devils at Arizona, 5 PM)
*03/23 (Sat): at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 6:00 PM (Devils vs Ottawa, 7 PM)
*04/02 (Tue): at Bridgeport, 10:30 AM (Devils vs Pittsburgh, 7 PM)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad