News Article: 2023-24 Sharks season previews

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Sharks "lose" their trades because (GMMG) not proactive? :huh:
To me that reads as "we don't know anything about the Sharks except they traded Karlsson and 'only' for a 1st instead of three 1sts, Luke Hughes, Connor Bedard, and McDavid at full retention".

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
All of these "experts" picking the Sharks to finish last makes me worried we're headed for like a 24th place finish and deeply underwhelming 9th overall pick. I don't think our roster is that much worse than the Flyers, Blackhawks or Habs.
Exactly. People underestimate the parity in the NHL. Yes, we are a bad team. Don't get it twisted. But, so are ANA, PHI, CHI, MON, and there are more than a few others whose wheels could fall off quickly. We could easily finish 4-7th worst, and experts are full of shit.

I definitely *hope* we finish dead last, this year and next year, too.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

So the team's ability to break the puck out of the zone will be improved, not simply despite the loss of one of the greatest breakout artists of the era, but in fact because of that loss, as now the team will have consistent breakout ability among its defensive pairs (as in, none whatsoever)?

That's just stupid. I'm sorry, but there's no other way to respond to that kind of argument.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think the breakout could legitimately improve if, due to the total lack of outlet passing ability among our defensemen, forwards come back deeper in the zone and transition the puck themselves. We have some fast and crafty forwards who can do it between Eklund, Granlund, Duclair and Barabanov.

• Wow

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So the team's ability to break the puck out of the zone will be improved, not simply despite the loss of one of the greatest breakout artists of the era, but in fact because of that loss, as now the team will have consistent breakout ability among its defensive pairs (as in, none whatsoever)?

That's just stupid. I'm sorry, but there's no other way to respond to that kind of argument.
The one argument I'd have would be that they tailor made a breakout system that benefits Karlsson and his skillset while the rest of the defense did not have anything remotely close to that skill set. They may have a breakout system that's better for our knucklehead chip and chunk defensemen this year.

I would be thoroughly shocked if it was any good this year.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

It's not all that surprising if they are indeed better defensively as a whole this year. Yes losing Karlsson does hurt big time but not exactly in the defensive side of the game. If tue Sharks implement a new system that has support from all players on the ice towards the puck it could work good to keep the puck out of the Sharks zone. Will they be able to do anything past there own blueline probably not.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It's not all that surprising if they are indeed better defensively as a whole this year. Yes losing Karlsson does hurt big time but not exactly in the defensive side of the game. If tue Sharks implement a new system that has support from all players on the ice towards the puck it could work good to keep the puck out of the Sharks zone. Will they be able to do anything past there own blueline probably not.
I think the problem is that the Sharks might be better at offense and shot suppression in isolation, but will be spending a hell of a lot more time suppressing offense rather than creating their own that it won't matter - I suspect we will give up just as many goals, if not more, while scoring significantly fewer.

It's not like our defensive corps is actually that good at defense. Ferraro, Vlasic, Benning, and Burroughs are our top four, and none of them are good defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad