Tribute 2023-24 season - POSITIVITY THREAD - PART 1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ottawa has a very young core. I can understand not wanting them in the next tier up. That being said this team could absolutely break out and be a top 4 team in the conference. They could also be on the outside looking in.

Obvious keys are:

1) Goaltending: I Think we need at least average goaltending to have a chance.

2) Norris: How strong does he come back? If he is the guy we saw the last time he played almost a full season we have a stacked top 6.

3) Coaching: I don't think we have the coach in place to get the best out of this roster but he's getting another chance. He needs to hold every player accountable. Not just the likes of Joseph, Kelly, Brannstrom and Kastelic. We have the depth to cut Chabot, Batherson or Tkachuk's ice-time if they not playing hard in all three zones. No more excuses.

4) Health: This applies to every team but especially a young one like ours with no history of actually getting it done.

I hope the pundits keep penciling us in as also-rans. Let's play with a chip on our shoulder. Shaping up to be an interesting year.
Everything is predicated on health so assuming we get a reasonably healthy year from our D

How many teams have a top 3 that are better than Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun?

The Leafs are considered a lock but I'm not sure they've got any player better than either of those 3.

I won't be surprised if both Buffalo and Ottawa make it

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Everything is predicated on health so assuming we get a reasonably healthy year from our D

How many teams have a top 3 that are better than Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun?

The Leafs are considered a lock but I'm not sure they've got any player better than either of those 3.

I won’t be surprised if neither do

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Boston currently has a better top 3 D as does Tampa.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

After Jersey, Toronto and Carolina the east is wide wide open. Only two teams out of the remaining 13 dont have a chance and thats Philly and Montreal. Both those teams are horrid.

The east is so strong, whoever stays healthiest likely makes the final 5 playoff spots. To me its 11 teams competing for 5 spots.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Boston has McAvoy and Lindholm. Tampa has Hedman and Sergachev. I don't think either has a #3 that is as good as whichever of our 3 you want to call #3.

I also think of those 4 names plus our 3, the guy with the most potential to leap forward in league wide rankings is Sanderson. And the guy most likely to have some age related regression is Hedman

After Jersey, Toronto and Carolina the east is wide wide open. Only two teams out of the remaining 13 dont have a chance and thats Philly and Montreal. Both those teams are horrid.

The east is so strong, whoever stays healthiest likely makes the final 5 playoff spots. To me its 11 teams competing for 5 spots.
I tend to agree with that.

On our end, I think we're taking a step forward. The question is whether that's a small step forward or a big leap forward and I think both are possible.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am predicting we have a new Jersey devils like jump and become one of the best teams in the league. we aren’t gonna scrape by to get in the playoffs. The team will be one of the elite teams.

f*** the haters. let’s goooooo
I think if the team can stay healthy and a few young players take another step its not out of the question. Need some more defensive continuity and we need the forwards to play with more pace. The team is in a tough position here, I actually think they really need Joseph as his speed is what this team is lacking. I dont know how they do it but they need to have both him and Pinto in the line up.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I agree that our blue line is looking really good but our blue line was stronger than Toronto's last year too and yet they were very sound defensively. We were not. Until we actually execute we just aren't on their level. Hopefully that changes this year.

I also think that Buffalo and Ottawa could make it in. Both will need a few key things to go right (eg. Sanderson and Power taking big steps forward). The East is ridiculously tough this year.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Boston has McAvoy and Lindholm. Tampa has Hedman and Sergachev. I don't think either has a #3 that is as good as whichever of our 3 you want to call #3.

I also think of those 4 names plus our 3, the guy with the most potential to leap forward in league wide rankings is Sanderson. And the guy most likely to have some age related regression is Hedman
McAvoy, Lindholm and Carlo are more proven as are Hedman, Segechev and Cernak.

Our top 3 may become equivalent or better but Chabot needs to bounce back, Sanderson needs to continue his incredible development and Chychrun needs to show he can be healthy and not just shine in the basement.

I’m hopeful but it’s Bos/Tampa with the edge right now.

Reactions: bicboi64 and bert

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Sens,

Do you realize how incredible this is?

You have ties to a man who played in 1930-1931. 97 years ago.

For most people, that predates their parents and grandparents.

To some 20 year old on here. His parents could be 1978 births. His grandparents 1953 births, his great grandparents 1930 birth.

My paternal Grandfather was born in 1890 and I always thought wow. This!!!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree that our blue line is looking really good but our blue line was stronger than Toronto's last year too and yet they were very sound defensively. We were not. Until we actually execute we just aren't on their level. Hopefully that changes this year.

I also think that Buffalo and Ottawa could make it in. Both will need a few key things to go right (eg. Sanderson and Power taking big steps forward). The East is ridiculously tough this year.
Our blue line heading into this season is a lot stronger than it was heading into last season.

We added Chychrun
Sanderson has a year under his belt with the added bonus of a summer of training versus rehab
Brannstrom took a step forward
JBD took a step forward
Kleven is waiting in the wings and can bring some nasty
The only guy with potential age regression is Hamonic but we're good there because his role will be reduced

Toronto has some age regression issues
Lost Holl
Klingberg certainly isn't going to contribute much to the defensive side of things

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Our blue line heading into this season is a lot stronger than it was heading into last season.

We added Chychrun
Sanderson has a year under his belt with the added bonus of a summer of training versus rehab
Brannstrom took a step forward
JBD took a step forward
Kleven is waiting in the wings and can bring some nasty
The only guy with potential age regression is Hamonic but we're good there because his role will be reduced

Toronto has some age regression issues
Lost Holl
Klingberg certainly isn't going to contribute much to the defensive side of things
Toronto addressed some major deficiencies in my opinion. They added some jam that's going to drag some players into the fight. Some players that are going to bring some emotion and physicality to the locker room and on the ice. They will be less clicky and more of a team. Keefe always had physical imposing teams this one fits his mold better. Apparently Dubas also was too involved in decisions that undermined him as a coach. Treileving is going to let him do his thing. I think you're going to see the best version of Keefe this year. You likely see more accountability from the teams star players.

Holl is a really bad player, the leafs also struggled to breakout and have the d activate in the o zone. Klingberg is going to help. With their roster make up and style of play you will likely see a much better version of Klingberg than the last couple of seasons, yeah he's poor defensively however I think his deployment will be managed well. I think this is Torontos best and potentially last shot. As Nylander or Marner are going to be a cap casualty next season. The only issue I can see this year is Nylanders contract situation could be a distraction. So as I mentioned before I think Toronto, Carolina and Jersey are locks. It's going to be a dog fight for the rest of the spots.

If the sens stay healthy I do think they get in. Thats a big if though this roster has been very injury proned. You are right the Sens roster to start this season is way better. It's also built alot better and players have defined roles. I am looking forward to the team playing with a high pace puck pushing up the ice identity. Mixed in with some physicality. MacEwen is a player I think is going to grow on people he only plays one way. Its how I like my 4th liners, straight line, fast and hard on pucks. Him and Kastelic should hopefully create a bit of an identity line as the 4th line. I am interested in seeing if Smejkal can fit into that mold.

The Jack Quinn injury in Buffalo is a big one. I am relieved they haven't signed Kane tbh. I'm honestly a little surprised but maybe he is just waiting to be 100 p healthy and wants to see how competitive they are. I think they're going to be a formidable team.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Toronto addressed some major deficiencies in my opinion. They added some jam that's going to drag some players into the fight. Some players that are going to bring some emotion and physicality to the locker room and on the ice. They will be less clicky and more of a team. Keefe always had physical imposing teams this one fits his mold better. Apparently Dubas also was too involved in decisions that undermined him as a coach. Treileving is going to let him do his thing. I think you're going to see the best version of Keefe this year. You likely see more accountability from the teams star players.

Holl is a really bad player, the leafs also struggled to breakout and have the d activate in the o zone. Klingberg is going to help. With their roster make up and style of play you will likely see a much better version of Klingberg than the last couple of seasons, yeah he's poor defensively however I think his deployment will be managed well. I think this is Torontos best and potentially last shot. As Nylander or Marner are going to be a cap casualty next season. The only issue I can see this year is Nylanders contract situation could be a distraction. So as I mentioned before I think Toronto, Carolina and Jersey are locks. It's going to be a dog fight for the rest of the spots.

If the sens stay healthy I do think they get in. Thats a big if though this roster has been very injury proned. You are right the Sens roster to start this season is way better. It's also built alot better and players have defined roles. I am looking forward to the team playing with a high pace puck pushing up the ice identity. Mixed in with some physicality. MacEwen is a player I think is going to grow on people he only plays one way. Its how I like my 4th liners, straight line, fast and hard on pucks. Him and Kastelic should hopefully create a bit of an identity line as the 4th line. I am interested in seeing if Smejkal can fit into that mold.

The Jack Quinn injury in Buffalo is a big one. I am relieved they haven't signed Kane tbh. I'm honestly a little surprised but maybe he is just waiting to be 100 p healthy and wants to see how competitive they are. I think they're going to be a formidable team.
I must have missed that one. What happened to Quinn? He was your guy in his draft year

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Giroux-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Kubalik-Pinto-Bailey
Greig-Kastelic-MacEwan

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

That's the deepest roster we've had in forever.

The bottom 6 is largely an unknown, but with 2 first round picks, we could make a serious acquisition to bolster the lineup even more if we are near playoff position by Jan/Feb.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Giroux-Stutzle-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Kubalik-Pinto-Bailey
Greig-Kastelic-MacEwan

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

That's the deepest roster we've had in forever.

The bottom 6 is largely an unknown, but with 2 first round picks, we could make a serious acquisition to bolster the lineup even more if we are near playoff position by Jan/Feb.

I'm super down with that lineup and Bailey in that 3rd RW spot. Apparently he's still got some speed, and he's a 1000gp veteran that knows how to be useful in a limited role.

That whole lineup top to bottom looks complete to me. We don't a have glaring hole at any spot for the first time since the 04 lockout imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree but the fact that we can even ask that question is extremely positive and I think it can potentially be better than expected as both Chabot and Chychrun have the skill set to do more, and Sanderson could easily have his breakout year next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad