GDT: 2023-24 season game 36 LA Kings vs Washington Capitals @12:00pm 1/7/24

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Naw, you wouldn't be impressed unless they turned into a negative drone like yourself...
What do you think the issue is right now? Besides the Toronto game where they didnt show up for 2 periods they have been playing well and are still finding new ways to lose.
I think they need a coaching change but curious what you are thinking because you want to give them a pass for some reason. Its beyond puck luck now.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
this is so on point for TMac....like having Durzi as the dman on 5 on 3 PKs- Tmacs coaching is seemingly put players in positions they werent meant to play in.
Its like todd purposely tries to sabotage the team. Its incredible to me and has been almost since his date of hire. The only reason i can come up why he does this is ego and the demonstration of his control. Its certainly not going to produce wins, positive morale or long term success

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Miss d the game and caught the last 5 min in radio. Seems like the same game we have seen for the last 10 or so. With the way things are going I expect things to get worse not better. What happens when Kopitar gets hurt? What happens when Drew gets hurt because he is playing way too many minutes!
Id predict the Ewing effect - weve seen what happened when Drew went down in 2021-22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Its like todd purposely tries to sabotage the team. Its incredible to me and has been almost since his date of hire. The only reason i can come up why he does this is ego and the demonstration of his control. Its certainly not going to produce wins, positive morale or long term success

It is, very babcock-esque

everything has to be done the hardest possible way

Reactions: chris kontos

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Does TM dictate which d personnel are out at that time? Or is that on Yawney?

I am sure he has a say in it, but our team "sounds" very compartmentalized. I wouldn't be surprised if he allowed each coach to make those adjustments with a long leash.

I forgot who I read it from recently, I think it was Mayor's Manor, but they said that TMac has been wanting Clarke on the team over current personnel since he was drafted, but Blake and company wouldn't allow it until now. Of course, it is hard to imagine if he truly wanted it and was pounding his fist on the table that Blake would deny him, but their media answers are always the same. Blake says that he just manages the roster and TMac manages how they are used but indicates that the decision is ultimately with each individual in each corner.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
It is, very babcock-esque

everything has to be done the hardest possible way
todd would probably say: itso when we have injuries, everybody will be used to playing with one another.
But with todd its an endless process so that game to game the players are unsure of thier partners/linemates and after a while does nothing but create confusion

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
1st: 55, 80, 9
2nd: 22, 24, 12
3rd: 78,11,34

Would never happen, but i think this solves the riddle of this roster.
PLD's give a shit meter still at 0 so then all we have is 2 second lines and a third line.

todd would probably say: itso when we have injuries, everybody will be used to playing with one another.
But with todd its an endless process so that game to game the players are unsure of thier partners/linemates and after a while does nothing but create confusion
Except that until Gavrikov got injured everyone in the Kings org was jerking each other off at how awesome it was that we had the exact same D pairs all year...

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
PLD's give a shit meter still at 0 so then all we have is 2 second lines and a third line.
thats where PLD can do the least damage and maybe contribute.. 55 and 9 are decent defensively. Notice i have 22 with 2 responsible players. Kopi is not good with speedy players.. he is beter with methodical possession guys. Its the best of a bad situation.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What do you think the issue is right now? Besides the Toronto game where they didnt show up for 2 periods they have been playing well and are still finding new ways to lose.
I think they need a coaching change but curious what you are thinking because you want to give them a pass for some reason. Its beyond puck luck now.

I think they aren't putting enough effort in, the early games, it was coming easy to them....now, it's not, and they aren't putting in the work to get it done, has nothing to do with puck luck really....

Reactions: Schmooley

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
thats where PLD can do the least damage and maybe contribute.. 55 and 9 are decent defensively. Notice i have 22 with 2 responsible players. Kopi is not good with speedy players.. he is beter with methodical possession guys. Its the best of a bad situation.

Kopi is not good with speedy players, but that line with Kempe Kopit and Byfield was absolutely daggers for the past what, 70 games?

BTW I blame my daughter for the loss, 2 minutes left, she was talking to me, notices I was watching more of the game than listening to her, says I hope your LA Kings lose...and a minute later......yea.....it's her fault for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: funky and Schmooley

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kopi is not good with speedy players, but that line with Kempe Kopit and Byfield was absolutely daggers for the past what, 70 games?
Doesnt prove he's good with speedy players. How many goals did they score off the rush? I'd predict below average. The premise of that post was to think outside the box to incorporate guys like Dubois and Fiala in the best way possible. You got any better ideas?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
This may be a where there's smoke there's fire type of thing. It would certainly explain the drastic disparity between the team's road and home performances. Since Todd can dictate match ups at home you'd likely see a greater effect at home than on the road where he's at the mercy of the other coach.

It would also lend credence I think to the team being too structured and just an overall better team when they are allowed to use their speed and aren't forced into a rigid defensive system.

How funny would that be though? Any of the resident fancy stats people know of a way to check that?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Doesnt prove he's good with speedy players. How many goals did they score off the rush? I'd predict below average. The premise of that post was to think outside the box to incorporate guys like Dubois and Fiala in the best way possible. You got any better ideas?

Yea....bag skate after every piss poor effort they turn in....I don't like Moore on that line, but I don't not like him, he digs like Byfield......and he is a shooter, I think we need more than 2.5 games to really tell.....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This may be a where there's smoke there's fire type of thing. It would certainly explain the drastic disparity between the team's road and home performances. Since Todd can dictate match ups at home you'd likely see a greater effect at home than on the road where he's at the mercy of the other coach.

It would also lend credence I think to the team being too structured and just an overall better team when they are allowed to use their speed and aren't forced into a rigid defensive system.

How funny would that be though? Any of the resident fancy stats people know of a way to check that?

If you haven't been watching, Todd doesn't match up, he believes all 4 of his lines can match up to others......and most of the time they can.....

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yea....bag skate after every piss poor effort they turn in....I don't like Moore on that line, but I don't not like him, he digs like Byfield......and he is a shooter, I think we need more than 2.5 games to really tell.....
I got your point on effort and how things came easy early. I still dont like the line combos. If you had 9,80,55 you would have a very fast and very tall speed line.. something the Kings do not have at the moment - i think it would add a new dimension. Some of this is dictated by 22 and 80 lack of defense/common sense and not so much Kopi. Kopi is slowing down. He is still the best defensive fwd, faceoff guy, the best at catching passes, has a good shot.. but if you watch him, lots of plays die on his stick.. i think he would be better on more grinding line and uplift 78 and 34.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I got your point on effort and how things came easy early. I still dont like the line combos. If you had 9,80,55 you would have a very fast and very tall speed line.. something the Kings do not have at the moment - i think it would add a new dimension. Some of this is dictated by 22 and 80 lack of defense/common sense and not so much Kopi. Kopi is slowing down. He is still the best defensive fwd, faceoff guy, the best at catching passes, has a good shot.. but if you watch him, lots of plays die on his stick.. i think he would be better on more grinding line and uplift 78 and 34.

Line combos are what they are, they were working, then they weren't, so it was switched, Kempe, PLD, and Laf have been the best line since the move, Fiala, Kaliyev and Danault have been pretty good, mainly due to Kaliyev really picking his game up the past 2 games,

I'm willing to give them 2-3 weeks before you blend it up again......

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Line combos are what they are, they were working, then they weren't, so it was switched, Kempe, PLD, and Laf have been the best line since the move, Fiala, Kaliyev and Danault have been pretty good, mainly due to Kaliyev really picking his game up the past 2 games,

I'm willing to give them 2-3 weeks before you blend it up again......
Agree not to blend them again so soon. Now the big question confronting Koala is how to incorporate Clarke with the least disruption to the pairings... and most impact to the PP.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Agree not to blend them again so soon. Now the big question confronting Koala is how to incorporate Clarke with the least disruption to the pairings... and most impact to the PP.

He was fine on PP2....I think he needs to be with Gavrikov, I don't think Englund has the ability to carry him....if anything you put Spence with Roy, Garvrikov with Clarke, and make Englund your 7th

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It really shouldn't have been a disruption of more than one pairing

but naturally TM dynamited everything to make it work--blowing up one of the best pairings in the leauge and benching arguably the best performing 3rd pairing d in the league

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Good teams have players with no problem breaking the 1-3-1.

Our leading players are ancient and settle into very conservative play as they tire.

The Kings STARTED camp with their NHL team chosen. They had an early leg up on teams still figuring out their rosters and system.

Their leaders are terrific as front-runners, but have always struggled to find ways to generate enthusiasm when times are hard.

Those are just a few explanations.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He was fine on PP2....I think he needs to be with Gavrikov, I don't think Englund has the ability to carry him....if anything you put Spence with Roy, Garvrikov with Clarke, and make Englund your 7th
I like that the best of all the realistic (something TM would do) options... mixing up 2 pairs mid season is a bit risky but its worth an experiment since they have a good record to absorb some more losses while they work it out. Ideally Clarke migrates to PP1 and DD to PP2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad