GDT: 2023-24 season game 36 LA Kings vs Washington Capitals @12:00pm 1/7/24

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No one in the building expected PLD to be a double agent

I've never seen a pass that bad from a king, he made Durzi vs. vegas look like Gretzky.

There's blame that lands on four other players before i even look at Clarke.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not sure how he's supposed to learn from a "mistake" when it had no bearing on the goal against.

Your teammate has control, you're ready to break out. McLellan tells his defensemen to activate. It's why Gavrikov was also getting ready to attack even though he should be the buffer.

Yes, he could have ignored instincts and the coach's direction and seen the future that PLD was going to give up the puck, so he would have dropped back and tried to cover the passing lane. It was still a 2-on-1 down low.

If Clarke misplaying it was reasonably preventable, I'd join in with calling out the error. I'd rather focus on the actual mistakes. Like the $8.5 million vet giving the puck away, or Roy misplaying the 2-on-1. You know. Basic stuff veterans should know better about.

But sure, keep focusing on calling out Clarke's involvement.

I wouldn't say it had NO bearing on the goal against....if he didn't break up ice, and instead recognized that there were two caps behind him, im not sure they are able to make passes back and forth...one pass sure...but not both.....

It's about defensive awareness and needing it in the NHL.....if he's cognizant that he is last man back AND there are two caps behind him, he's not activating....

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Not sure how he's supposed to learn from a "mistake" when it had no bearing on the goal against.

Your teammate has control, you're ready to break out. McLellan tells his defensemen to activate. It's why Gavrikov was also getting ready to attack even though he should be the buffer.

Yes, he could have ignored instincts and the coach's direction and seen the future that PLD was going to give up the puck, so he would have dropped back and tried to cover the passing lane. It was still a 2-on-1 down low.

If Clarke misplaying it was reasonably preventable, I'd join in with calling out the error. I'd rather focus on the actual mistakes. Like the $8.5 million vet giving the puck away, or Roy misplaying the 2-on-1. You know. Basic stuff veterans should know better about.

But sure, keep focusing on calling out Clarke's involvement.
Kp, it absolutely was part of the goal against. Sure, maybe the turnover leads to a 2 on 1 instead of 2 on 0, but I would take those improved odds any time. He knew he goofed up right away.

I have to ask, why is everyone being so defensive about this? Its cut and dried. The kid made a wrong choice in his first game of the year. Kids learn on the job, they need to get these kinds of mistakes out of the way so they can make the right play going forward. We can't expect perfection here, and if anything I would rather have him err on the side of playing his game.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kp, it absolutely was part of the goal against. Sure, maybe the turnover leads to a 2 on 1 instead of 2 on 0, but I would take those improved odds any time. He knew he goofed up right away.

I have to ask, why is everyone being so defensive about this? Its cut and dried. The kid made a wrong choice in his first game of the year. Kids learn on the job, they need to get these kinds of mistakes out of the way so they can make the right play going forward. We can't expect perfection here, and if anything I would rather have him err on the side of playing his game.
To me at least, it's focusing on the wrong issues.

- the goal is 100% on PLD for not knowing physics and that two objects can't occupy the same space. He could have used the boards.
- Clarke is an offensive defenseman. He smells blood and attacks. Expecting the offensive defenseman and rookie to play a conservative game is no different than coaches trying to turn Kaliyev into a grinder to start his NHL career.

We know Clarke has a lot to learn, especially on defensive reads. Focusing on a play where the responsibility is on someone else and using it as evidence of how he needs to learn it is silly.

That's the kind of play Doughty would make when he was younger. It's setting the pace and smelling blood. No reasonable player would expect his teammate to give it away like that, especially so soon.

The general WORST case scenario is the puck goes out past the blue line, but control is lost, and Washington needs to touch up anyway. At which point a player would be expected to reset.

Four players from the opposition hemmed into the wrong zone when your team has control and your team is breaking out is a perfect time to activate.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Focusing on the blue chip offensive dman instead of the 8.5m center with 150 ft of open ice in front of him or the premier shutdown dman jumping the play or the two forwards at the red line is, frankly, asinine.

Yeah, there's enough fault to go around there as far as "contingency plans" but if you want to suppress a guy's instincts in case a player makes one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen, might as well trade him for a middling shutdown guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad