GDT: 2023-24 season game 33 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 12/30/23

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
tmac is good enough coach to beat teams they should beat- not good enough to consistently beat teams as good. Happy with Kings record but last night one of those games where Tmac watches disaster unfold and does nothing to change the ebb and flow of the game.

Oils called a TO to rest PP1 unit. Smart Move.

Waning moments of the game with Oils first line hoping to win in regulation- Tmac rolls Dubois line and oils almost score. Tmac could have taken his TO and roll Kopi or Danault- but Tmac just content to cross his fingers hoping his pregame strategy works for 60 without a thought of any in game strategy. Unless your Kaliyev that is.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They do it a lot when they cant get a forecheck when they get pucks deep like on a line change. They did it less in the beginning of the year because they were relentless in the offensive zone and had possession a lot.
They go into the 1-3-1 and sit back too passively vs Edmonton more than usual because they play like they are too scared to lose instead of just playing their game and dictating pace.

It's when there is no way to set up a forecheck, because of a line change, or a bad dump etc, they did it the same in the beginning of the year as they do now, rewatch the game, there isn't one time they weren't forechecking when EDM had their back to the middle of the ice, or on the backhand, or it could be contested, every time it couldn't be, they fell back.

Reactions: Schmooley

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The problem the Oilers pose is that McDrai can be double and triple shifted when they need the goals and they will be out there for the entire PP when they get them.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
LMAO yet on HNIC they went out of their way to talk about how the Kings are built, and how other teams are looking and talking about how to emulate...

But yea....poorly built

All this talk about passive 1-3-1, I bet only a handful of posters on here can articulate WHEN they go into the 1-3-1, here's a hint, it's not NEARLY as much as you think it is, and there's only one specific reason when they fall into that.....here's another hint, it has NOTHING to do with holding a lead or pursuing a lead.
LMAO actually thinking Canadians are paying any attention to the Kings and aren’t just looking at standings. Also according to HNIC, the Maple Leafs are the greatest team ever. I know you weren’t born yesterday.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Does anyone have anything positive to say about PLD? He's scoring at a 0.42 points per game pace, hasn't gelled with any linemates, and hasn't looked especially engaged. Is there anything I'm not seeing?

Not to belabor the point but Vilardi's outscoring PLD in half the games. Hell, Iafallo's outscoring PLD too.

Wouldn't this be nice?

Fiala - Kopitar - Kempe
Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
They do it a lot when they cant get a forecheck when they get pucks deep like on a line change. They did it less in the beginning of the year because they were relentless in the offensive zone and had possession a lot.
They go into the 1-3-1 and sit back too passively vs Edmonton more than usual because they play like they are too scared to lose instead of just playing their game and dictating pace.
I said this last year too. They quake in their skates when they play Edmonton instead of being aggressive against their awful defense. It’s loser hockey and Todd will never alter the plan.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Does anyone have anything positive to say about PLD? He's scoring at a 0.42 points per game pace, hasn't gelled with any linemates, and hasn't looked especially engaged. Is there anything I'm not seeing?

Not to belabor the point but Vilardi's outscoring PLD in half the games. Hell, Iafallo's outscoring PLD too.

Wouldn't this be nice?

Fiala - Kopitar - Kempe
Iafallo - Byfield - Vilardi
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
At this point, I’m hoping PLD is the last straw for this front office to get shit canned.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
LMAO actually thinking Canadians are paying any attention to the Kings and aren’t just looking at standings. Also according to HNIC, the Maple Leafs are the greatest team ever. I know you weren’t born yesterday.

Yes, people who are paid to stay informed and up todate, don't do their homework, and pay attention, I mean, if you are bad at your job, that might be the case, but it's clear you only watch Bally Sports, and have no idea what other teams are thinking about LA.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'm getting bummed realizing Kopi will be hanging em' up soon, but what a privilege it is still watching him play @ such a high level. Many of his contemporaries (Toews, Bergeron, Backstrom) are all pretty much out of the picture and he's still out here tearing it up. Shows you how rare of a player he is, it'll be extremely difficult filling his place.

Last edited:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
At this point, I’m hoping PLD is the last straw for this front office to get shit canned.
How? Luc will never fire Blake. They’re gonna trade Kaliyev and a 1st for a generic vet rental who won’t re-sign and they’ll be rewarded with fat extensions after getting 3 playoff wins against the Canucks.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Yes, people who are paid to stay informed and up todate, don't do their homework, and pay attention, I mean, if you are bad at your job, that might be the case, but it's clear you only watch Bally Sports, and have no idea what other teams are thinking about LA.
Sweetheart, I spent half my childhood in Canada and watched HNIC double headers religiously every Saturday. I know how it’s played.

How? Luc will never fire Blake. They’re gonna trade Kaliyev and a 1st for a generic vet rental who won’t re-sign and they’ll be rewarded with fat extensions after getting 3 playoff wins against the Canucks.
Like I said, I’m just hoping.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It is really sad that Blake actually made the trade for PLD to find out it won't work. Rememeber the main reason for this trade. Give the Kings three solid centers to better match up with the Oilers.

Which is bizarre to me because a lack of center depth was not the reason we lost to the Oilers.

Passive system play, special teams, and our inability to match McDrai with our own high end firepower is why we lost to the Oilers.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Which is bizarre to me because a lack of center depth was not the reason we lost to the Oilers.

Passive system play, special teams, and our inability to match McDrai with our own high end firepower is why we lost to the Oilers.
Draisaitl has had his way with Kopitar. Danault has done well against McDavid, so I would guess the only advantage of over spending on a third quality center is for the situations in which McDavid is double-shifted.

None of which really matters, as you are completely right. You beat teams like Edmonton by punching them right in those nose and maintaining dominance. They have several important players who cannot handle that kind of pressure. When you play passively, you will definitely give them enough chances to come back against any lead.

This roster and this coach won't get past Edmonton.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Lets not forget the 4th line got caved in and maybe played 6 min a game...another contributing factor

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Problem with Kaliyev is the Kings are trying to play him on the LWing and he's a natural RWinger...and playing him with DuBlois doesn't help who's more interested in himself then team-play/line-mate play

Even "Jacques" Laperriere?
they've played him with every center over the past two season, same results. He just not a smart hockey player. Now every team has a book on him and just fills the lane preventing his shot, or lets the goalie see him to make a chest save. Last night was a perfect example.

Reactions: Moses Doughty

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
as for Dubois- if you polled NHL gms on which player would be the worst pic to give a max value/term contract to....he would be at the top of the list. We keep hear he will pop off in playoffs- he better otherwise this will be the worst trade in Kings history which speaks volumes.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
they've played him with every center over the past two season, same results. He just not a smart hockey player. Now every team has a book on him and just fills the lane preventing his shot, or lets the goalie see him to make a chest save. Last night was a perfect example.
Yep, there's a reason why (imo at least) he's easily played his best hockey 5v5 when on the 4th line with Lizotte. He just doesn't process plays well enough to play higher in the lineup with guys who can play a little less dump and chase, and he doesn't have the speed to make up for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad