Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Felix Unger-Sörum has gone through our own youth and junior ranks before he had to make his SHL debut in the 2022/2023 season. The success at home in Sweden led to the Carolina Hurricanes choosing to draft Felix during last summer's NHL Entry Draft, and it was in the Hurricanes' organization that Felix began last year's season after signing a three-year contract. In the USA, Felix remained until the last thinning before the NHL's regular season began, but when he did not take a regular shirt with Carolina, the NHL club chose to loan Felix to Leksands IF for the remainder of the 2023/2024 season. This loan is now over and Felix begins the 2024/2025 season in North America.

That is the translation for FUS’ portion of the article

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
For the record, in the recent podcast Walt alluded to there being a gap between episodes because they actually taped another one but they can't release it, yet, because they discuss a topic that hasn't been announced, yet.

Definitely sounds like an AHL announcement is coming soon

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
For the record, in the recent podcast Walt alluded to there being a gap between episodes because they actually taped another one but they can't release it, yet, because they discuss a topic that hasn't been announced, yet.

Definitely sounds like an AHL announcement is coming soon
Someone broke it down to either Chicago again or Charlotte again, they are the only 2 with out contracts more or less.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Someone broke it down to either Chicago again or Charlotte again, they are the only 2 with out contracts more or less.
Since we are buying, it won’t be Chicago. The wording of the affiliate agreement will determine if it holds if the team is sold. I doubt it would personally

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Since we are buying, it won’t be Chicago. The wording of the affiliate agreement will determine if it holds if the team is sold. I doubt it would personally
That assumes there is a seller to be found. If there isn't one this season, I think it would have to be a short-term agreement with Chicago.

I wonder if Meruelo might sell the Roadrunners in an effort to get money for the land and/or building of the arena. The Canes could keep the relocated Roadrunners in Tempe if they wanted that and get control of an AHL franchise.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
That assumes there is a seller to be found. If there isn't one this season, I think it would have to be a short-term agreement with Chicago.

I wonder if Meruelo might sell the Roadrunners in an effort to get money for the land and/or building of the arena. The Canes could keep the relocated Roadrunners in Tempe if they wanted that and get control of an AHL franchise.
I can't see Dundon buying a team and keeping them all the way out west. At least not for more than a year or two to get a closer location worked out.

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I can't see Dundon buying a team and keeping them all the way out west. At least not for more than a year or two to get a closer location worked out.
I think it would be temporary, but being in a major airport hub like Phoenix (or Chicago before) would make it feasible to at least get prospects to either Raleigh or a road game relatively quickly.

Give them a year to work things out with Baltimore, for instance, and they could move the franchise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Looking forward to a great AHL team next year. Question is who will make the parent club out of camp?
I don’t know that I’d expect any of them. Depends on how the AHL team looks of course but we’re doing this so we have a place to put them. We are a money puck team looking to win it all every year right now. I suspect there will be candidates found like Comtois or Stepan for lower roles. A candidate would have to be a known quantity that Rod felt comfortable inking in the lineup during the summer, or they’d have to really blow the doors off in camp. I think because FUS has already showed he can maybe do it, I agree he’s a possibility. Rod has put eyes on him so maybe he’d be considered.

Unless we really love someone to be here right now I’d suspect it would go back to business as usual, and that it’s tough to make this team as a rookie. I would think Morrow only has a shot if we can’t find what we want on the market, when we seem adept at finding guys one way or another - but obviously we have no idea what our defense is going to look like next year.

FUS has the best chance followed by Morrow. Then the other 2 forwards. Mercuri would have a better chance as a 4th liner before Blake or Nadeau. But im not sure Mercuri has the skating to stick.
I could see them grooming Blake to be a penalty killer if he takes to the role. I agree someone like Mercuri would have a better shot early though.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t know that I’d expect any of them. Depends on how the AHL team looks of course but we’re doing this so we have a place to put them. We are a money puck team looking to win it all every year right now. I suspect there will be candidates found like Comtois or Stepan for lower roles. A candidate would have to be a known quantity that Rod felt comfortable inking in the lineup during the summer, or they’d have to really blow the doors off in camp. I think because FUS has already showed he can maybe do it, I agree he’s a possibility. Rod has put eyes on him so maybe he’d be considered.

Unless we really love someone to be here right now I’d suspect it would go back to business as usual, and that it’s tough to make this team as a rookie. I would think Morrow only has a shot if we can’t find what we want on the market, when we seem adept at finding guys one way or another - but obviously we have no idea what our defense is going to look like next year.
I fully expect at least one of the recently signed ELCs to be on the Canes next year, mainly because I expect us to bring back enough of the guys we currently have (my expectations are Jarvis and Guentzel on long term deals, Necas and/or Skjei) that it necessitates counting on a cheap ELC next year.

As you said, we moneypuck it, and we'll go into training camp knowing there's at least 1 spot open that they're all competing for, let the best man win.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think a case can be made for Suzuki getting a serious shot.

We've got the most interesting off season.
He could definitely get a look but I’m not sure what to expect from him over the course of a season. He hasn’t played more than 50 games since 2018-2019. It’s not going to get any less physical at the nhl level.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
He could definitely get a look but I’m not sure what to expect from him over the course of a season. He hasn’t played more than 50 games since 2018-2019. It’s not going to get any less physical at the nhl level.
It's either give him a QO to see if he can compete a complete season in the AHL or trade him at this point.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

There's a thought, and likely a relocation to Baltimore after next season if we do indeed buy them since it's almost certainly too close to the season to move this coming year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I fully expect at least one of the recently signed ELCs to be on the Canes next year, mainly because I expect us to bring back enough of the guys we currently have (my expectations are Jarvis and Guentzel on long term deals, Necas and/or Skjei) that it necessitates counting on a cheap ELC next year.

As you said, we moneypuck it, and we'll go into training camp knowing there's at least 1 spot open that they're all competing for, let the best man win.
I don’t disagree with that at all. I just don’t doubt their ability to put a vet on a cheap deal in place to be competing for that spot, one that’ll have a leg up because he will 100% do that fourth line job, will likely have pro experience doing that job,
and it will not be hurting anyone else’s development for him to get the job. Elc’s aren’t the only way to save money.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

He certainly may sell them for a bunch of reasons, but I find it hard to believe that selling an AHL franchise moves the needle in the billion dollar plus costs of building a state of the art sporting arena these days. What are AHL franchises worth, $10-15 million? That is a drop in the bucket of an arena. Plus, isn't he going to get PAID for the Yotes?

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t disagree with that at all. I just don’t doubt their ability to put a vet on a cheap deal in place to be competing for that spot, one that’ll have a leg up because he will 100% do that fourth line job, will likely have pro experience doing that job,
and it will not be hurting anyone else’s development for him to get the job. Elc’s aren’t the only way to save money.
I could see that as well. Especially if the core is still intact, we bring back Guentzel and we are a very popular pick for Cup chasing vets looking to merc one last run in their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad