Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Thanks for the insights on morrow . Seems like someone has seen him play on this board finally. Very disappointing read though .

Reactions: bleedgreen

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Thanks for the insights on morrow . Seems like someone has seen him play on this board finally. Very disappointing read though .
I look at it more optimistically. Maturity comes at different ages plus if he has the athleticism d can be taught.

Plus, if Canes were really down on him they would have given him up in the latest trade versus Pono or Koivunen.

Either that or he is in their off season trade plans for the other 33 deals they contemplated this trade deadline.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I look at it more optimistically. Maturity comes at different ages plus if he has the athleticism d can be taught.

Plus, if Cane were really down on him they would have given him up in the latest trade versus Pono or Koivunen.

Either that or he is in their off season trade plans for the other 33 deals they contemplated this trade deadline.
All I can say is….Hanifin. Go to 34 seconds into this video to have your ptsd activated, then remember how good the guy is now. Hanifin was this bad, and it was hardly just that play. He was brutal in his own end and he figured it out. Just took time and patience. Hanifin doesn’t have Morrow’s stick handling and raw offense, though he’s a better skater.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think that was the game where it was right after Dundon bought the team and they were in a playoff spot at the time. Then they blew this game and it went downhill.

EDIT: Just checked. Canes were in 8th in the East before that game.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think that was the game where it was right after Dundon bought the team and they were in a playoff spot at the time. Then they blew this game and it went downhill.

EDIT: Just checked. Canes were in 8th in the East before that game.
The goaltending down that stretch was awful. Every time we had hope in a game they’d let in a softie to deflate any momentum. It was tough to watch.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The goaltending down that stretch was awful. Every time we had hope in a game they’d let in a softie to deflate any momentum. It was tough to watch.
I have empathy for the Ottawas and Buffalos of the world. We've been through it. Although we never had the young talent Ottawa does now, nor Buffalo at that. We were just... below average defensively, and offensively too at that. And a losing culture to boot.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I have empathy for the Ottawas and Buffalos of the world. We've been through it. Although we never had the young talent Ottawa does now, nor Buffalo at that. We were just... below average defensively, and offensively too at that. And a losing culture to boot.
Much like Edmonton, my sympathy starts to wear off when you get that many high-end draft picks and still kinda suck. Canes had a few 1st round early-mid whiffs in Goat, Bean, & Fleury, and rushed the development of Hanifin & Lindholm, but otherwise the only top-5 pick we've gotten over the decade of darkness was Svech.

Buff got Reinhart, Eichel, Dahlin, Cozens, & Power over like an 8 year span. Granted it really sucks for the fans, who have no say in the matter and are just along for the shit ride like we were, but damn how do you not end up with an elite team from all that?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Much like Edmonton, my sympathy starts to wear off when you get that many high-end draft picks and still kinda suck. Canes had a few 1st round early-mid whiffs in Goat, Bean, & Fleury, and rushed the development of Hanifin & Lindholm, but otherwise the only top-5 pick we've gotten over the decade of darkness was Svech.

Buff got Reinhart, Eichel, Dahlin, Cozens, & Power over like an 8 year span. Granted it really sucks for the fans, who have no say in the matter and are just along for the shit ride like we were, but damn how do you not end up with an elite team from all that?
And thanks to a no trade clause, they got Jeff Skinner for Pu.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Yeah, it is pretty amazing how some teams with all that talent can still not put it together, and how we have become really good with better than average players, but nobody anyone would put the "superstar" label on. Coaching and culture really are just that important.

I wouldn't have thought that prior to Rod taking over.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
All I can say is….Hanifin. Go to 34 seconds into this video to have your ptsd activated, then remember how good the guy is now. Hanifin was this bad, and it was hardly just that play. He was brutal in his own end and he figured it out. Just took time and patience. Hanifin doesn’t have Morrow’s stick handling and raw offense, though he’s a better skater.

oh man I had somehow erased that play from my memory. might be the most embarrassing play from a D man in league history.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
oh man I had somehow erased that play from my memory. might be the most embarrassing play from a D man in league history.
I never give up on our guys, I’m not with Morrow at all. He just needs work and shouldn’t be rushed. I knew that Hanifin had hit rock bottom and at that point I was fine with him being traded. I didn’t think he would figure it out for years, and maybe never with us. He needed a new start and fresh eyes, and the experience of someone giving up on him in case he actually had any ego left. After that play it’s hard to imagine he had a lot of ego left.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I never give up on our guys, I’m not with Morrow at all. He just needs work and shouldn’t be rushed. I knew that Hanifin had hit rock bottom and at that point I was fine with him being traded. I didn’t think he would figure it out for years, and maybe never with us. He needed a new start and fresh eyes, and the experience of someone giving up on him in case he actually had any ego left. After that play it’s hard to imagine he had a lot of ego left.
Yeah. That's true for 80% of NHL defensemen. We've been insanely spoiled that we had a seeming act of God to get not one, but TWO NHL defensemen who happened to walk into our lineup after like a week of AHL play, and who happened to play like top pairing guys from day one, and who happened to be 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

Like that never ever happens, except it happened to us twice the same year.

Otherwise, even a seasoned guy like Brady Skjei takes a couple years to find his stride here.

I'd expect the same for Morrow. We'll need to be patient with him for a couple years to figure it out.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

saw this interview with Oleg Smirnov from January in the Timur Mukhanov thread on the prospects board

I think I posted this in the Nikishin thread a while ago, it's a couple month old interview but definitely worth a read.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Maine band just crushed “Brass Bonanza” during a stoppage. I mean crushed it. High tempo with the brass so loud I almost turned the volume down. Brought a tear to my eye…

I’ve been turned and am now rooting for Maine.
To follow up on this I’m watching a little bit of UConn/Vermont and when the Huskies (at home) scored they rocked the original actual Brass Bonanza song over the loud speakers.

If we have a rough off season I may go full NCAA next year…

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Caught the third period of the UMass/Providence Hockey East tourney game. 3-1 win for UMass. Ufko sniped a pp goal, Morrow looked dangerous on the pp from the Ovy spot on the pp’s I saw. Mercuri had two points.

UConn has to play BC in a bit….tough game for them. Celebrini got his 30th goal for BU, first to do that for them since Jack Drury’s uncle Chris did it in the 90’s.

A coworker had an extra ticket to watch DU/UMD with him last night in the first round of the NCHC’s. DU crushed them 4-0, no Rizzo. Must be hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Watched the whole UMass game. I was questioning myself a couple times as to whether I was being more lenient…. Because he seemed to have a much better game. There was a noticeable difference / reduction in the amount of negative plays. He was more slippery on his skates, had a number of sneaky good moves, he seemed muuuch more quiet and cool and collected with and without the puck. Didn’t overly rush, was even more silky smooth on his blades and skating the puck, didn’t just skate it right into coverage and slam into 4 or 5 guys converging on him. There was not a lot of hard driving the net by Providence and he didn’t have to wrestle /tie up or be physical in front of his net even a fraction of the time compared to last game…. That might be the biggest thing affecting my perception…

They used him even more as the net front body on the power play this game than the last one I watched. They also had little 20-30 sec stretches of him and Ufko on the ice at the same time before they would split them up.

Overall much better today than last game I watched… they protected the 2-0 lead for such a long stretch from the first deep into the third…. And then went up 3-0 as well…. Providence had to pull the goalie at the start of a PP to go 6 on 4 to finally score with 5 min to go…So how the team protecting the lead as a whole maybe played into it all….

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
NCHC does best of 3 for the quarters. Blake scored 2 Goals and had 3 assists in 2 lopsided wins over Miami (OH)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad