Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Info (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
He was a highly touted player going into the Dub that never really took off like was expected of him. I don't think he's a legit NHL prospect, maybe a guy that can play a middle 6 role on an AHL team in time. He's a good skater though and has a better than you'd think shot that he's very willing to use.

I must’ve forgot they invited him to rookie camp too as I thought I recognized the name. I’m all for them exploring options at overaged/undrafted guys since were all very aware about the cupboard situation.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The point was about Europeans coming over for the CHL like Olausson did not vice versa.

It is not an option for North Americans to do the opposite because they have to be 18 to play in Europe as an import. They also have signed a contract to play in the CHL if they are already there. This is what prevents them from playing anywhere but the CHL as well. Matthews was the exception to be able to do this because a) he was very good b) had a mid September 18th birthday and could begin playing in Europe once he turned 18 c) aged out of the NTDP so he did not have a team he was leaving, never signed in the CHL, didn’t start college, etc. Bedard and Lafrenière couldn’t because they’d already been in the CHL and had a contract. Jack Hughes could have thought about it but he was 17 in his draft year and was at the NTDP still so that wasn’t an option either. So it drives me insane when the media throws around so and so should go to Europe like Matthews but unless they fit the exact set of circumstances that he did it’s not going to happen. Would be interesting if someone decided to go to Europe instead of the NCAA tho, that could be a good case study!
Sky’s the limit for a guy with a BA in hotel management from Cornell!

I suspect the Avalanche told Cow Eyes Stienberg they’ll offer a contract after the Big Red’s season.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He was a highly touted player going into the Dub that never really took off like was expected of him. I don't think he's a legit NHL prospect, maybe a guy that can play a middle 6 role on an AHL team in time. He's a good skater though and has a better than you'd think shot that he's very willing to use.
Maybe he can get Josh Anderson (the bad one) to mentor him? :sarcasm:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
There is a good one?
Well, one was a 3rd round pick in 2016 that was a former top pick in the WHL which I suspect was the sole reason for his selection by the Avs. He never even sniffed the NHL and has been retired since 2020.

That is what I call - "non-scouting" and I hope whoever banged the table for that guy has been fired since then.

The other was a 4th round pick in 2012 is highly overpaid, in my opinion but he's at least an NHL player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, one was a 3rd round pick in 2016 that was a former top pick in the WHL which I suspect was the sole reason for his selection by the Avs. He never even sniffed the NHL and has been retired since 2020.

That is what I call - "non-scouting" and I hope whoever banged the table for that guy has been fired since then.

The other was a 4th round pick in 2012 is highly overpaid, in my opinion but he's at least an NHL player.
I do think that the Avs put weight into how highly regarded players were going into their junior draft (at least with mid to later round picks). There is Anderson, but you also have Travis Barron, Saigeon, Pepin, Mutala, Burzan, Miner, and Foudy were all former junior 1st round picks. Beaucage was a 2nd round. I think the theory is that they were talented enough early to be some of the best at their ages, and that can be refined earlier. I disagree with that whole thought process, but that is my theory.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Still lots of big strong old school in the org

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I do think that the Avs put weight into how highly regarded players were going into their junior draft (at least with mid to later round picks). There is Anderson, but you also have Travis Barron, Saigeon, Pepin, Mutala, Burzan, Miner, and Foudy were all former junior 1st round picks. Beaucage was a 2nd round. I think the theory is that they were talented enough early to be some of the best at their ages, and that can be refined earlier. I disagree with that whole thought process, but that is my theory.
It is an exceptionally flawed way of thinking and my personal take on it is that it's either just plain LAZY or these people don't really know what they are looking at - take your pick, either way you slice it, it's freakin' horrible!

You would think that even picking an average person out of a crowd in places where they don't even watch hockey like 'Uganda' or 'Arizona' and having them make draft picks of players purely based on their names would yield similar or maybe even better results than what the Avs have been able to do with their 3rd to 7th round picks.

• Haha

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is an exceptionally flawed way of thinking and my personal take on it is that it's either just plain LAZY or these people don't really know what they are looking at - take your pick, either way you slice it, it's freakin' horrible!

You would think that even picking an average person out of a crowd in places where they don't even watch hockey like 'Uganda' or 'Arizona' and having them make draft picks of players purely based on their names would yield similar or maybe even better results than what the Avs have been able to do with their 3rd to 7th round picks.
I mean... I'd say the results show they may not know what they are looking at. :laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Today I looked a bit closer at Chicago's prospect pool and noticed that Isaak Phillips has been trending very well. Good thing the Avs traded up only to take Ryder Rolston a couple of picks ahead of Phillips and who they gave away for two months of Söderberg. Would have been pretty handy to have a big mobile LHD in the system.

Reactions: Zandar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Today I looked a bit closer at Chicago's prospect pool and noticed that Isaak Phillips has been trending very well. Good thing the Avs traded up only to take Ryder Rolston a couple of picks ahead of Phillips and who they gave away for two months of Söderberg. Would have been pretty handy to have a big mobile LHD in the system.
@S E P H and I were huge fans of that kid.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Avs wanted Stienburg to go pro this year, can he sign with anyone after this season or are the rules different cause of Covid?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs wanted Stienburg to go pro this year, can he sign with anyone after this season or are the rules different cause of Covid?
He is in his +4 so any time he leaves school, the Avs have a chance to sign him, but there is a deadline. After that deadline, he can become a UFA.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

IMG_20220915_170706.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Real gearshift seeing people worried about that here.:naughty:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think another year of college will be good for Stienburg. I'd like to see him develop his offense a little more before turning pro, don't want to see him become a Bowers where the offense just never came around to earn a call up. I know scoring isn't going to be his calling card in the NHL, but you need SOME skill even in a 4th line role.

At any rate, I don't think it will hurt him to go for another year. I'd like to see him signed after that, though. I'll be interested to see if some of his habits translate as well to pro hockey as I think they will.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad