GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Seems like it's more likely to be the former. Thompson-Cozens is a great 1-2 punch up the middle and Dahlin and Power are anchoring the top 2 pairings. Quinn (at least pre-injury), Peterka, Benson, and Kulich seem like a very solid group of winger prospects with Savoie also on the way. It's kind of a ridiculous prospect pool...

Dang I just realized that the Sabres have Benson. Makes me sad, theyre too rich in prospects. I had thought he was a Jets prospect lol

• Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Tell me you know nothing about his last few seasons while he was part of this team without telling me, sheesh.

He was coming off surgery the season he was traded to us, and had no training camp, got injured late into the season and still played 3 rounds until he was eventually fully knocked out for the final game or games.

Second season, no offseason training and training camp again plays until covid shuts down the league.

3rd season was a covid season so very limited training while off and no real training camp. And got injured late into that season so no training.

4th season stayed relatively healthy for the entire season, went into the offseason with the ability to train properly.

5th season and final one goes back to normal self.
Insane jump off one comment, I didn't say any of that. I've simply heard he doesn't take off season training seriously throughout his career. I even left room for that to not be true.

Also...you can train on your own in the off-season regardless of COVID. I was referring to rumors that he doesn't do anything in the off-season until camp which may not even be true.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Dang I just realized that the Sabres have Benson. Makes me sad, theyre too rich in prospects. I had thought he was a Jets prospect lol
The other thing I just realized is that they have Thompson, Cozens, Power, Dahlin, and Samuelsson locked up for 37-38M combined for at least the next 7 seasons...even with Skinner's 9M x4 year albatross on the books, their cap is in great shape

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Insane jump off one comment, I didn't say any of that. I've simply heard he doesn't take off season training seriously throughout his career. I even left room for that to not be true.

Also...you can train on your own in the off-season regardless of COVID. I was referring to rumors that he doesn't do anything in the off-season until camp which may not even be true.
If only there was a way to research these things before posting. If only…..

Erik+Karlsson+offseason training

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Zach Benson with two points so far tonight against the Isles. He’s so, so, so, so good. As far as I’m concerned, he should stay in the NHL all year this year. The things he could use improvement on—top speed, strength, shot velocity—are things he’ll develop just as well in the NHL as he would the WHL or better.

He’s 100% ready to play at NHL speed and he has absolutely no fear of engaging physically against guys six inches and fifty pounds bigger than him. His hockey IQ is off the charts, and his style of play is translating extremely well.

Sigh.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Zach Benson with two points so far tonight against the Isles. He’s so, so, so, so good. As far as I’m concerned, he should stay in the NHL all year this year. The things he could use improvement on—top speed, strength, shot velocity—are things he’ll develop just as well in the NHL as he would the WHL or better.

He’s 100% ready to play at NHL speed and he has absolutely no fear of engaging physically against guys six inches and fifty pounds bigger than him. His hockey IQ is off the charts, and his style of play is translating extremely well.

Sigh.
At the end of the day he's still a tiny winger which is typically not the wisest asset to target with a premium pick like 4th overall. I realize Smith may also end up being a winger but there's at least a chance he sticks at center that doesn't exist with Benson.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
At the end of the day he's still a tiny winger which is typically not the wisest kind of asset to target with a premium pick like 4th overall. I realize Smith may also end up being a winger but there's at least a chance he sticks at center that doesn't exist with Benson.
The guy in your avatar is also a tiny winger. That’s what I think Benson will become.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You think Benson is 5'10"? He looks Gaudreau sized on the ice.
Benson literally measured at 5”9.75” at the combine. He looks shorter than he is because he has a short neck.

I’ve stood next to Pavelski, there’s no way he’s more than 5’10”, I don’t care what he’s listed at.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Benson literally measured at 5”9.75” at the combine. He looks shorter than he is because he has a short neck.

I’ve stood next to Pavelski, there’s no way he’s more than 5’10”, I don’t care what he’s listed at.
Pavelski could also play center while Benson very likely never will. Smith was the optimal pick from a value perspective. Maybe Benson becomes a 40 goal scorer like Pavelski and makes us look dumb but that probably won't happen.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pavelski could also play center while Benson very likely never will. Smith was the optimal pick from a value perspective. Maybe Benson becomes a 40 goal scorer like Pavelski and makes us look dumb but that probably won't happen.
Moving the goalposts…

Pavelski hasn’t played center in a decade. He’s a winger. And Benson’s defensive acumen and hockey IQ is so good, I think he could definitely play center in a pinch once he gets his man strength like Pavelski.

I get why Smith was the pick. I predicted it two months out. Benson is and will always be better, in my opinion.

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Moving the goalposts…

Pavelski hasn’t played center in a decade. He’s a winger. And Benson’s defensive acumen and hockey IQ is so good, I think he could definitely play center in a pinch once he gets his man strength like Pavelski.

I get why Smith was the pick. I predicted it two months out. Benson is and will always be better, in my opinion.
How many centers of Benson's size are there currently in the NHL? I hope the Sabres try it because it would be hilarious to watch him line up against Matthews, Barkov or Larkin in that division.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How many centers of Benson's size are there currently in the NHL? I hope the Sabres try it because it would be hilarious to watch him line up against Matthews, Barkov or Larkin in that division.
How many centers Pavelski’s size are there in the NHL? I’m not saying Benson will be a center, just that he as much a center as Pavelski has been over the last decade. Stylistically, Benson’s best comparison is a hybrid of Brayden Point and Brad Marchand. One of those guys is a 5’10” centerman.

Again, I repeat, Pavelski has at best a half inch on Benson in height, and it’s not fair to compare Benson’s weight at 18 to Pavelski’s weight in his 30’s. If you’ve watched as much of Benson over the last year as I have, you would see why I make the comparison. Not that Benson plays the same style as Pavs, but that he has the same intangibles, work ethic, and hockey IQ that convinced me he’ll succeed as much as Pavs has.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Meier was benched for the entire 3rd period tonight then Ruff called him out after the game. Including playoffs he has 18 points in 35 games for the Devils.

Only 8 more years on that contract!

• Wow
Reactions: Chinaski89

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
for our sake let's hope he gets cooking so we can that extra 1st / Push the pens down the standings
I don't think they really need Timo to do that. He's like their 10th most important player.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
timo's having a slow start to the season. it's probably just him on one of his slow streaks before exploding but it'd be a heck of a piece of hockey irony if we end up winning this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad