2023-24 FPHL Season Thread

NEPA Ice

Mar 17, 2022
On another note...there were comments about the "levels" of minor league hockey. There seems to be some confusion on what would constitute Low-Level A, High-Level A, and Level AA. I think people get confused with the MLB model.

With MLB, the minors are fully designed for player development with independent leagues providing opportunities for those who have been optioned out of this path, hoping to somehow get back in the sights of MLB scouts. But the progression typically starts with Low-A, and the up through AAA, with the emphasis on player development first and secondarily on building a winning team.

In hockey, development starts with Juniors rather than a Low-Level A (FPHL). Juniors may be able to jump right to AHL or NHL (McDavid, Eichel, Bedard), although many continue to develop through different levels of college hockey. After that, any development typically occurs in ECHL, AHL, overseas leagues, or possibly (and all of them hope for this) to the NHL.

But the FPHL and SPHL are not stops along a development pathway, and as such it may confuse folks to call them Level A minor league teams. They're actually more like the baseball players in the Frontier, American Association, and Atlantic Leagues than the typical baseball A team. Although the FPHL calls itself a Single A "prospect" league, I don't think the guys in the league have many developmental prospects other than moving to the SPHL. And yes- there are some that go higher, but again it's not like the A-AAA developmental pathway some may think it is.

AND THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'M SAYING YOU CAN'T ENJOY AND ROOT FOR TEAMS IN THESE LEAGUES. Watch then with your family, or buy a ticket and grab a beer with your friends on a Saturday night! Watch "the boys" play and root for them. That doesn't bother me in the least.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I wish to sincerely apologize to all who may have been offended. After watching several FPHL games on YouTube I see that this provides an action packed, exciting entertainment option for many, with skills appropriate for lower level hockey. I promise to no longer answer any questions posed by those who frequent this thread.
Thanks for stepping up.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
On another note...there were comments about the "levels" of minor league hockey. There seems to be some confusion on what would constitute Low-Level A, High-Level A, and Level AA. I think people get confused with the MLB model.

With MLB, the minors are fully designed for player development with independent leagues providing opportunities for those who have been optioned out of this path, hoping to somehow get back in the sights of MLB scouts. But the progression typically starts with Low-A, and the up through AAA, with the emphasis on player development first and secondarily on building a winning team.

In hockey, development starts with Juniors rather than a Low-Level A (FPHL). Juniors may be able to jump right to AHL or NHL (McDavid, Eichel, Bedard), although many continue to develop through different levels of college hockey. After that, any development typically occurs in ECHL, AHL, overseas leagues, or possibly (and all of them hope for this) to the NHL.

But the FPHL and SPHL are not stops along a development pathway, and as such it may confuse folks to call them Level A minor league teams. They're actually more like the baseball players in the Frontier, American Association, and Atlantic Leagues than the typical baseball A team. Although the FPHL calls itself a Single A "prospect" league, I don't think the guys in the league have many developmental prospects other than moving to the SPHL. And yes- there are some that go higher, but again it's not like the A-AAA developmental pathway some may think it is.

AND THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'M SAYING YOU CAN'T ENJOY AND ROOT FOR TEAMS IN THESE LEAGUES. Watch then with your family, or buy a ticket and grab a beer with your friends on a Saturday night! Watch "the boys" play and root for them. That doesn't bother me in the least.

I agree with all of this. There's no way to compare hockey minor leagues to any sport I am aware of. The prospects with NHL chances will almost never fall below AHL or at the most ECHL levels. And when I saw ECHL I mean the one in a hundred ECHL player that somehow gets up to the NHL. It is so rare I don't think it really qualifies.

Junior/college hockey is the "real" baseball minor league system where the teenage prospects play. At most the below AHL teams are feeder systems up and down for the other minor leagues and NOT with any chance of making it to the NHL.

Contrast this with baseball and it simply stops being a valid comparison. Baseball starts kids in A or AA and works them up and down but the goal is eventual AAA/MLB status. Hockey? No. It is either AHL or NHL to start with the very rare case of a kid being in an ECHL team and eventually getting to the NHL.

So in actuality the best way to view is the ECHL is the "NHL" for guys in their 20's and 30's who just aren't good enough for the NHL or even AHL and the SPHL is the "AAA" and the FPHL is the "AA" or "A" if you want to view it that low. There are multiple examples of professional minor league players whose entire careers rotate between those three leagues.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Just for the record ... While "actual FPHL talk" may be a refreshing change of pace in this forum, it is not expressly encouraged by anyone but the Hockey Puritans posting here. Without tangential excursions, this and the other forums wallowing in the "ECHL, PWHL, and other Minor Pro Leagues" section of these Boards would lose their allure. :popcorn:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Too bad you can't find some game-worn gear from the SPHL's short-lived Vermilion County Bobcats team. But rumor has it those jerseys were burned along with the future of Danville, IL hockey. 😢

vermilion-county-bobcats-SPHL.jpg

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011

it was an absolute slaughter. 11-1 for those that don't know. My beloved River Dragons are just outright dominating the league. My favorite moment of the game was Asselin from the Zydeco team trying to get Hunter Bersani to fight him.

Hunter Bersani is staying with a family here in Columbus, Georgia. Their house burned down and that family, and Hunter, lost everything they had in the house. So tonight's game was very much a feel good moment from the community which has helped in a gofundme for him and the family. Hunter was the "win the jersey off the back" raffle player as well.

Hunter had at least one goal tonight, literally everyone I think that hit the ice for the Dragons got a point. And in the third when we were up 8-0 this little piss ant Asselin tries everything to get Bersani to fight him. When he failed to get a fight he actually did the chicken dance, point at Bersani, resume chicken dance, point at Bersani ...all the way to the penalty box.

I've seen some tone deaf things in hockey before but this took the cake. Everyone in the FPHL I'm sure was aware that Hunter is homeless and lost all his stuff in the house fire...and this random schmuck down 8-0 wants to fight him. Unreal.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Hunter had at least one goal tonight, literally everyone I think that hit the ice for the Dragons got a point. And in the third when we were up 8-0 this little piss ant Asselin tries everything to get Bersani to fight him. When he failed to get a fight he actually did the chicken dance, point at Bersani, resume chicken dance, point at Bersani ...all the way to the penalty box.

I've seen some tone deaf things in hockey before but this took the cake. Everyone in the FPHL I'm sure was aware that Hunter is homeless and lost all his stuff in the house fire...and this random schmuck down 8-0 wants to fight him. Unreal.
The next time you take umbrage at someone who disparages the FPHL, pause & remember that these sorts of displays of childish ignorance contribute heavily to the continuing reputation of the League at large within the sports world. Even if your beloved River Dragons are not a guilty party in such incidents, the team & their fans will bear the bad press.

NEPA Ice

Mar 17, 2022
Wow...11-1 Columbus over Baton Rouge. Now that's what I call hockey, baby!!! Too bad though that I watched this game on YT rather than the 37-1 USPHL Premiere beating the Metro Jets put on the Columbus Mavericks last night...that was the real score, by the way. That would have been awesome to watch.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Wow...11-1 Columbus over Baton Rouge. Now that's what I call hockey, baby!!! Too bad though that I watched this game on YT rather than the 37-1 USPHL Premiere beating the Metro Jets put on the Columbus Mavericks last night...that was the real score, by the way. That would have been awesome to watch.

That's a real score in a hockey game? 37-1? Holy Moses!

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
The next time you take umbrage at someone who disparages the FPHL, pause & remember that these sorts of displays of childish ignorance contribute heavily to the continuing reputation of the League at large within the sports world. Even if your beloved River Dragons are not a guilty party in such incidents, the team & their fans will bear the bad press.
One bad apple or a few does not spoil the lot.

I'm not going to excuse such boorish behavior but it is the exception not the rule. At least when it comes to the River Dragons. I have never seen them behave like jackasses and the opposing teams rarely pull such an oafish stunt like Asselin did.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
One bad apple or a few does not spoil the lot.

I'm not going to excuse such boorish behavior but it is the exception not the rule. At least when it comes to the River Dragons. I have never seen them behave like jackasses and the opposing teams rarely pull such an oafish stunt like Asselin did.
You're overlooking the point. NVM

Reactions: NEPA Ice

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Reactions: The Hobgoblin

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
We had a return to normalcy tonight with our 15th straight win. Only a normal score of 4-1 this time. The Zydecos played much, much harder tonight and I applaud them for their effort after the 11-1 debacle the night before.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
River Dragons on the road. We won Friday night 8-0 to extend the winning streak to 16 straight games and clinched a playoff spot.

Sadly tonight we lost 5-4 to Motor City Rockers. I couldn't see the game due to family reasons but fellow RD fans are going nuts about the refs saying we should have won 4-3 but I didn't watch the game so I can't comment on it.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
The River Dragons are having a monthly meet the fans event at a local Chik Filet this coming week. Going to go with Mrs. Hobgoblin and see if Justin McDonald will sign our jerseys.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Went to my first FPHL game last weekend, Columbus against Carolina. I was surprised at how well attended it was considering it was 5th tier pro hockey in a small southern town. It was 1 v 2. But still. They were into it. I was impressed.

I see now that Columbus averaged 3500 last year. That's very solid support.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
River Dragons on the road. We won Friday night 8-0 to extend the winning streak to 16 straight games and clinched a playoff spot.

Sadly tonight we lost 5-4 to Motor City Rockers. I couldn't see the game due to family reasons but fellow RD fans are going nuts about the refs saying we should have won 4-3 but I didn't watch the game so I can't comment on it.
As a Danbury fan, I can also say that the River Dragons should have also won this past Friday :cool:

Reactions: The Hobgoblin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad