2023-24 FPHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Starting with a source unknown to me, but it seemed worth a listen as the annual Silly Season has kicked off ...

Screenshot_20230522_181832_YouTube.jpg

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
IGNITE SPORTS ANNOUNCES BRAND DEPARTURE

May 15, 2023

COLUMBUS, GA - Ignite Sports and Entertainment COO Jeff Croop announced today that President and General Manager Scott Brand is departing from the organization. ...

Brand served as the president and general manager for Ignite Sports’ properties including the Columbus River Dragons, Columbus Chatt-a-Hoots and Chattahoochee Monsters since their inception. ...

“Within the next couple of days my new sports home will be announced- if you know please don’t post anything, let’s allow the new locaiton to release it. As important as it is to me to take on a new challenge - ‘There’s no such thing as bad markets, only bad marketeers’ - I get to be closer to my family with what I hope is my final career stop. Those who work in the sports world know we don’t get to celebrate a lot of birthdays, holidays or family moments. This opportunity will allow me more chances to enjoy such things.” ...

Read more at: News: IGNITE SPORTS ANNOUNCES BRAND DEPARTURE - Ignite Sports and Entertainment

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The Wyethville expansion is just "huh?"

But I see it's all an effort to offset the losses of Delaware and maybe Elmira.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

And to remind the SPHL that the Fed won't stick to conventional wisdom when it comes to hockey markets. With so many FHL/FPHL teams having come & gone over (lucky) 13 seasons, there's no shame left in giving a sleepy little county seat that few folks have ever heard of a go for however long it lasts.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
So do we even know for sure how many teams are confirmed for 2023-2024? So much still up in the air.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

A local news site did some hard digging at your statement with equally stated surprise. The person who wrote the article used comparisons with actual demographics, statistics, and analyzed on a micro and macro level.

Someone get that author an HFB account!

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I fell off the hockey train over the last 5 years. Now I'm picking my interest back up and I'm truly amazed this league is still up and running. Especially considering how they still run the all thing so "smoothly ".

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Reactions: mk80

HockeyDude16

Dec 23, 2021
Not that it was left in rough condition, it's been in rough condition.
I highly disagree with this take. First Arena is still in pretty damn good condition. Needs some maintenance but it's really not that bad of an arena. There are far worse arenas in rough condition then Elmira.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Arena conditions aside, it sounds as though Elmira will get an expansion team for next season. Which league, you ask? Why, none other than the illustrious FPHL, of course!
The new FPHL team, which will be named in the coming weeks, will be started by the league and an IDA management group. Financially, the IDA will be supporting the the team and venue along with potential help from the city of Elmira and Chemung County. Margeson says that this is the best move forward for the community.
Source: New FPHL team coming to First Arena

Now, I know what you're thinking. Haven't they already tried this and failed? Is this the definition of insanity and such? But this is totally different, because now the losses go straight to the government. Foolproof.

Last edited:

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Arena conditions aside, it sounds as though Elmira will get an expansion team for next season. Which league, you ask? Why, none other than the illustrious FPHL, of course!

Source: New FPHL team coming to First Arena

Now, I know what you're thinking. Haven't they already tried this and failed? Is this the definition of insanity and such? But this is totally different, because now the losses go straight to the government. Foolproof.
Guess on if the arena is going to be a sentient blob of mold by the time this team leaves.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I highly disagree with this take. First Arena is still in pretty damn good condition. Needs some maintenance but it's really not that bad of an arena. There are far worse arenas in rough condition then Elmira.

You can't disagree with facts. There may be other arenas in rougher* condition than* Elmira's arena, but that doesn't mean Elmira's arena isn't in rough condition.

The scoreboard has had documented issues going back to the Elmira Jackals era.
The sound system has had documented issues going back to the Elmira Jackals.
The bathrooms.
HVAC and dehumidifiers.
Lack of ADA compliance.
Door locks.
Pest control.
Emergency exits.
Fire code violations.
Out of date concessions areas.
The roof.
The mold.

All are documented and existed before the Mammoth were in town. There is a reason there have been strong calls to tear down the place since 2021.

So once again, there may exist dumps worse than First Arena. But that certainly doesn't preclude First Arena from being classified as a dump itself.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyDude16

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Does the new team in Wytheville even have a rink yet? They are planning on playing out of a rodeo barn that does not even have concrete floors and the ability to make ice. Let alone locker rooms and stands and all the other small things you need for hockey.

Going to be a mighty big renovation and only 4 months to complete it all.

NEPA Ice

Mar 17, 2022
Does the new team in Wytheville even have a rink yet? They are planning on playing out of a rodeo barn that does not even have concrete floors and the ability to make ice. Let alone locker rooms and stands and all the other small things you need for hockey.

Going to be a mighty big renovation and only 4 months to complete it all.
Maybe they can play good old fashioned street hockey on the barn floor like I did when I was a kid.

HockeyDude16

Dec 23, 2021
You can't disagree with facts. There may be other arenas in rougher* condition than* Elmira's arena, but that doesn't mean Elmira's arena isn't in rough condition.

The scoreboard has had documented issues going back to the Elmira Jackals era.
The sound system has had documented issues going back to the Elmira Jackals.
The bathrooms.
HVAC and dehumidifiers.
Lack of ADA compliance.
Door locks.
Pest control.
Emergency exits.
Fire code violations.
Out of date concessions areas.
The roof.
The mold.

All are documented and existed before the Mammoth were in town. There is a reason there have been strong calls to tear down the place since 2021.

So once again, there may exist dumps worse than First Arena. But that certainly doesn't preclude First Arena from being classified as a dump itself.
You realize a lot of those issues were fixed and have been worked on right? Also the strong calls to tear down the arena where from a guy was making empty threats. It was quite clear when it went from "Tear It Down" to "Hey We Got Donner" I'm not saying there wasn't stuff that needed to be fixed but it wasn't even close to condemned status.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You realize a lot of those issues were fixed and have been worked on right? Also the strong calls to tear down the arena where from a guy was making empty threats. It was quite clear when it went from "Tear It Down" to "Hey We Got Donner" I'm not saying there wasn't stuff that needed to be fixed but it wasn't even close to condemned status.

That main reason they wanted it torn down was and still sort of it because it isn't a financially worthwhile venture due to lack of profitability. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are still serious and persistent HVAC issues? The arena also lacks many amenities and is at the bare minimum after the upgrades. Of course it wasn't close to condemned status. They wouldn't be able to have the twin rinks or even be able to host other events if it was that bad. But being run down to the point of being condemned isn't the reason it would get torn down. Anything that's been released, and anyone with half a brain cell who has been to the arena, makes it blatantly obvious that the amount of money that would need to be sunk into the facility to make it profitable again is almost a non-starter and they're hesitant to run it to be unprofitable, something they've done in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad