2023-24 Champions League, Europa League, & Conference League Draw Thread

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not an easy draw compared to what exactly? Sure, we can say there are no easy draws, but how many teams in the pot would you say were easier than Porto?

And this is totally fine but come on. LFC got an arguably better version (not super relevant but still) of Porto multiple times, and we’re always told how easy it was so I’m just curious. You’ll probably starch them like we did.

Also speaking of easy draws, City getting Copenhagen is really funny. Not because of the match up, but the irony of all the Utd fans (not necessarily on here) saying City got it easy. I’d gladly go to a game in Copenhagen for the record. Might not be so hard to get tickets.

I'm not saying it's an objectively "hard" draw, but it feels like the kind of team we have trouble with. A couple of years ago I would've kissed our campaign goodbye in advance. So for me this will be a real test of how far we've come. It's the kind of team you want to keep stifled. If you let them get a whiff of success, they'll be all over you, and I still have misgivings about our defensive breakdowns, much as we've improved defensively.
That said, they're the kind of team that varies quite a lot from year to year and I can't say I have a good idea of where they're at right now

Reactions: Savant

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'm not saying it's an objectively "hard" draw, but it feels like the kind of team we have trouble with. A couple of years ago I would've kissed our campaign goodbye in advance. So for me this will be a real test of how far we've come. It's the kind of team you want to keep stifled. If you let them get a whiff of success, they'll be all over you, and I still have misgivings about our defensive breakdowns, much as we've improved defensively.
That said, they're the kind of team that varies quite a lot from year to year and I can't say I have a good idea of where they're at right now
Certainly better than us drawing Barca/Bayern in the round of 16 for 5/7 years. But can't take Porto lightly as you said.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Certainly better than us drawing Barca/Bayern in the round of 16 for 5/7 years. But can't take Porto lightly as you said.
But Arsenal couldn't draw either.
Porto is a fairly weak team among those which are left.
I think for group winner, Copenhagen was easiest and PSG was toughest.
Arsenal got a rather easy opponent, but City got the cake.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I don't know, they're proven Manchester-killers :D

• Haha
Reactions: Evilo

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Yeah, I just meant compared to when we were drawn against Barca/Bayern in the round of 16 seemingly every year between 2010-2017.

Definitely a favorable draw for Arsenal this time. While Porto shouldn't be taken lightly, I'm expecting we beat them fairly comfortably.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Great draw for Arsenal. Although last time I said that they lost to Monaco lol
I'm foggy on the exact details, but that one was painful. I think we gave up the late third goal in the first leg against them at home and then couldn't complete the comeback in Monaco - came up short by flubbing some chances and only winning 2-0.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Great draw for Arsenal. Although last time I said that they lost to Monaco lol

Like back in 2015? I have a vague recollection of seeing that game in a pub in London where they had a half-price Guinness happy hour, but I could be way off

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal went out of Europa to Sporting lol. If we can lose to Sporting, even if it was on penalties and major injuries, we can absolutely lose to Porto.

Reactions: maclean

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm foggy on the exact details, but that one was painful. I think we gave up the late third goal in the first leg against them at home and then couldn't complete the comeback in Monaco - came up short by flubbing some chances and only winning 2-0.
Yup nailed it. Home leg was terrible and then we dominated the second half of the second leg and just couldn't find the goal we needed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's tasty for La Liga teams, potential to see 4/4 advance

Would've been more fun for the BuLi too, although Leipzig could upset Real if they bring their A-game for all 200 minutes.

Barca-Napoli is the only other really exciting draw other than Real-Leipzig. Inter-Atleti is a toss up too, but that should be ugly for the neutrals.

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sociedad and Dortmund seem to me to be the most affordable for the runners-up.

Will be interesting to see if Dortmund's CL form stays better than their league form after the break. So far they've been a much better team...although matches with 3 other "big" teams played into the more defensive/counter style they are built to play this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Freiburg & Frankfurt have manageable draws but will need to play well to get past Lens & other-Union (respectively).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You know all to well what happens at the Bernabeu on a UCL night :laugh:

giphy.gif

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
The other one was against AC Milan, got crushed in the 1st leg like 4-1 and then beat them in the 2nd leg like 3-0 but lost on away goals or something.
We had a knack for it - I think they did it against Bayern in the same time frame too. Lost the first leg, then dominated the second leg only to come up short on away goals.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad