2023-24 CBJ "Buy/Sell" game

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sell, because the early winds are blowing to Werenski hard. Severson is also up there because of contract

Andrew Peeke gets traded at some point this season

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Sell, because the early winds are blowing to Werenski hard. Severson is also up there because of contract

Andrew Peeke gets traded at some point this season

Buy. And the return might be less than we would have wanted last season.

Buy/sell - Torts absolutely loses his mind over a blown call during the first CBJ game.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Buy! It's nice to be able to count on some things in this crazy, mixed-up world!

Buy/sell - By mid-season Sillinger is taking regular shifts at center in Columbus.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Buy! It's nice to be able to count on some things in this crazy, mixed-up world!

Buy/sell - By mid-season Sillinger is taking regular shifts at center in Columbus.
Buy but only due to inevitable injuries that will hit this team.

Buy/Sell: Laine and Werenski both miss significant time with injuries.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Buy/Sell: Laine and Werenski both miss significant time with injuries.
Buy. Another thing you can count on in this crazy, mixed-up world. Past history indicates this is a strong likelihood.

Buy/Sell: Rumors of sweeping front office changes will be circulating before the end of the regular season. One of us will make a thread about it with a poll of the possible replacements. The Bus will disagree with all of them. Too specific? Just go with the first sentence.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I think this team should be sold.
Watch what you ask for. Do you know what a new ownership would do for the future? Would the new owners even keep the team in Columbus?

From the outside it appears that CBJ ownership has not been involved as much as maybe they should be but they have never handcuffed a CBJ GM by not allowing them to do what they want or spend as much as they need. It would be one thing if they weren't spending money or were simply getting in the way but they're not and a new ownership group doesn't guarantee anything.

Changes need to be made. I don't think it's as extreme as this.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Watch what you ask for. Do you know what a new ownership would do for the future? Would the new owners even keep the team in Columbus?
the popular take here is that the haslams should buy the team after seeing what they've done for the crew since taking over. they've also finally turned around the browns on the field but not without a ton of drama along the way.

the assumption being that if the haslams were to buy the team, they would stay here.

they've been willing to spend big for the browns and the crew to put a winning product out there. i don't think it's completely fair to say the current ownership group won't spend on some things (players, facilities) but i think there are some areas where they do cheap out (coaches, front office, buyouts, sunk costs) that would no longer be an issue.
From the outside it appears that CBJ ownership has not been involved as much as maybe they should be but they have never handcuffed a CBJ GM by not allowing them to do what they want or spend as much as they need.
i mean, they forced the horton-clarkson trade on the front office. if it was the haslams in charge, they would have probably eaten the horton contract and used the LTIR cap space. the mcconnells decided they'd rather spend $5.8m on a terrible player than spend $10m for a LTIR player + a valuable replacement player.

CBJ ownership also shouldn't get a pass on the babcock stuff, either. there have been rumors for years that they were too cheap to pay a top-tier coach. they bought low on torts and tried to do the same thing with babcock, who had much more baggage.

there was also speculation that they wouldn't fire the front office as they wanted to avoid paying more guys to not do their jobs.

they get full marks for letting the front office spend on free agents, but the big market/deep pocket teams get advantages outside of roster expenses by being able to eat money to catalyze necessary non-roster changes.

in other words: this ownership hates eating money just as much, or possibly more than it hates losing. that wouldn't be an issue with the haslams.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
the popular take here is that the haslams should buy the team after seeing what they've done for the crew since taking over. they've also finally turned around the browns on the field but not without a ton of drama along the way.

the assumption being that if the haslams were to buy the team, they would stay here.

they've been willing to spend big for the browns and the crew to put a winning product out there. i don't think it's completely fair to say the current ownership group won't spend on some things (players, facilities) but i think there are some areas where they do cheap out (coaches, front office, buyouts, sunk costs) that would no longer be an issue.

i mean, they forced the horton-clarkson trade on the front office. if it was the haslams in charge, they would have probably eaten the horton contract and used the LTIR cap space. the mcconnells decided they'd rather spend $5.8m on a terrible player than spend $10m for a LTIR player + a valuable replacement player.

CBJ ownership also shouldn't get a pass on the babcock stuff, either. there have been rumors for years that they were too cheap to pay a top-tier coach. they bought low on torts and tried to do the same thing with babcock, who had much more baggage.

there was also speculation that they wouldn't fire the front office as they wanted to avoid paying more guys to not do their jobs.

they get full marks for letting the front office spend on free agents, but the big market/deep pocket teams get advantages outside of roster expenses by being able to eat money to catalyze necessary non-roster changes.

in other words: this ownership hates eating money just as much, or possibly more than it hates losing. that wouldn't be an issue with the haslams.
So you must either be an owner, work in the CBJ front office, know the Haslams personally, know the key people the Haslams would hire to run the team and their strategies, an in the know current CBJ insider or this is just your personal conjecture. I don't know which one it is but I will focus on two of your own words (assumption and speculation). Personally I am skeptical about the reality of some of these conclusions.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
So you must either be an owner,
if i was rich enough to own a pro sports team i would pay someone a good salary to make sure i never, ever visited an internet message board for the rest of my life
Personally I am skeptical about the reality of some of these conclusions.
the haslams specifically bought the columbus crew in order to keep the team from relocating. they also did a training camp scrimmage thing with the browns at ohio stadium a while back.

they've clearly had a longstanding interest in columbus as a professional sports market. they've been absurdly successful with the crew – they bought a team that was being run into the ground and now a few years later they're an MLS powerhouse with the nicest stadium in the league.

my point is that people want the haslams, specifically, to buy the team because their dedication to winning, willingness to spend big and affinity for the columbus market would be a marked improvement over what we're able to observe with the current ownership group.

that's the difference between saying "i want the haslams to buy the team" instead of "the mcconnells need to sell the team" – the former implies that they'd be staying in columbus and getting deeper pockets.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
if i was rich enough to own a pro sports team i would pay someone a good salary to make sure i never, ever visited an internet message board for the rest of my life
Can I have this job :D
the haslams specifically bought the columbus crew in order to keep the team from relocating. they also did a training camp scrimmage thing with the browns at ohio stadium a while back.

they've clearly had a longstanding interest in columbus as a professional sports market. they've been absurdly successful with the crew – they bought a team that was being run into the ground and now a few years later they're an MLS powerhouse with the nicest stadium in the league.

my point is that people want the haslams, specifically, to buy the team because their dedication to winning, willingness to spend big and affinity for the columbus market would be a marked improvement over what we're able to observe with the current ownership group.

that's the difference between saying "i want the haslams to buy the team" instead of "the mcconnells need to sell the team" – the former implies that they'd be staying in columbus and getting deeper pockets.
When I originally responded to someones post about the need to sell the team I responded with "watch what you ask for". You responded to my post by listing a bunch of assumptions of what the current owners do, have done or would do in the future compared to what a Haslam ownership would do. People (including you and I) could or could not want a new owner but you continue to make general assumptions like the ones above that hold no water. My point was that you have no idea what the Haslams or any other new owner would do with this team, how much they would spend on this team or how deep their pockets would be or what their strategies would be. It would be like me posting that the Haslams are going to buy the team, move the team to Cleveland and move the Monsters to Columbus.

Anyway time for me to move on because I doubt this will ever happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00