2023-24 Calgary Wranglers Thread

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I wonder what we have in Sam Morton.

Anyone have a scouting report?

His toothless half grin reminds me of a young Paul Stastny, but I'm sure his mug is where the similarities end.

What's his game like?

Hobey baker finalist is nice credentials - and it would seem he's had a smooth transition to the pro game.

Pretty solid all around player, reminds me a little of Derek Ryan. Bit bigger and a better shot but I think Doc had better hands.

Seems to have a good understanding of the C position, so that's already a rarity for us. Has played some W for the Wranglers as well. Could be a decent bottom 6 swiss army knife type if he pans out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
46 save shutout for Wolf in a 2-0 win.
Schwindt scored from Klapka and Pelletier, then Coronato added an unassisted empty netter in the final minute.

wranglers-win-gif.752532

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Great game from Wolf and the other goalie was stellar as well.

Schwindt had a real strong performance I thought, nice finish on the breakaway off a great pass from Klapka. Center with his size and speed could be useful next season. Liked the chemistry between Pelts and Coronato too. Kuznetsov again was everywhere, really like the way he moves.

Poirier was a bit of a mess. I like the player but I don't think he's ever going to be low event.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Great game from Wolf and the other goalie was stellar as well.

Schwindt had a real strong performance I thought, nice finish on the breakaway off a great pass from Klapka. Center with his size and speed could be useful next season. Liked the chemistry between Pelts and Coronato too. Kuznetsov again was everywhere, really like the way he moves.

Poirier was a bit of a mess. I like the player but I don't think he's ever going to be low event.
Did you hear anything about Ciona, Kerins, Lyle, Grush? Injury or healthy scratches?

Just adding Coronato & having Solo back gives them so much more depth. Those are 4 decent players not making the cut.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Did you hear anything about Ciona, Kerins, Lyle, Grush? Injury or healthy scratches?

Just adding Coronato & having Solo back gives them so much more depth. Those are 4 decent players not making the cut.

Think they were just healthy scratches. Cull went fairly veteran heavy with the lineup.
Not really what I want to see personally but his job isn't to appease the fanbase, it's to win hockey games.

Probably see a couple changes for game 2. Wolf was peppered and the puck was in the Wranglers zone a lot.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
We have a lot of Dmen down there.

Wasn't Jurmo brought over? Brewsky came up, Morin, Grushnikov - none of these guys have a real chance of playing in the playoffs without some injuries.

That said the Wranglers look a lot better with some of the guys the Flames could send down, e.g., Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf, Solo

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers win 4-3 to close out their best of 3 series against Tucson 2-0.

^^^ William Stromgren tho

Solovyov was a monster in this one. Coronato was pretty good, Pelletier was not. Liked Morton again, he gets inside on players well and made several nice pickpockets in the neutral and offensive zone. Klapka had 2A. Oesterle had some good plays but also let the Roadrunners back in it with a whiff in front of his net. Wolf was of course great, he is most of what makes this farm team run.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wranglers are playing Coachella in Round 2

Fri. May 03, 2024 - 7:00PM
CV @ CGY
Sun. May 05, 2024 - 4:00PM
CV @ CGY
Wed. May 08, 2024 - 7:00PM
CGY @ CV
Fri. May 10, 2024 - 7:00PM*
CGY @ CV
Sun. May 12, 2024 - 3:00PM*
CGY @ CV

I believe the times are that of the host team

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What is with these AHL playoffs format, best of 3 series, then best of 5? I assume best of 7 is next?

What's next, best of 9?

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
What is with these AHL playoffs format, best of 3 series, then best of 5? I assume best of 7 is next?

What's next, best of 9?

AHL Playoffs are 5 rounds with some teams of the 23 qualifying teams getting byes into the second round. To offset this, early rounds have been decreased in length.

Best-of series round lengths are 3-5-5-7-7. No best of 9, sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad