2023-24 Calgary Wranglers Thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Aspirot has been one of the most underrated Wranglers this year, he's done it all. Plays big minutes, PP/PK...I said before, I hope we can offer him another contract next year.
Stromgren has really picked it up too

Good to hear the new guy (Morton) looked good. Getting this recent help and keeping the ECHLers in the league they should be in should hopefully keep us in a playoff spot. Another big game (rematch) for them tonight.

@Bounces R Way: did Morton play RW?
Center, Pelletier played RW

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Aspirot has been one of the most underrated Wranglers this year, he's done it all. Plays big minutes, PP/PK...I said before, I hope we can offer him another contract next year.
Stromgren has really picked it up too

Good to hear the new guy (Morton) looked good. Getting this recent help and keeping the ECHLers in the league they should be in should hopefully keep us in a playoff spot. Another big game (rematch) for them tonight.

@Bounces R Way: did Morton play RW?

He played center. Might be just a 1st pro game adrenaline but adding him and Pelts really improved the Wranglers offensive game. They actually looked like they had a discernable top 6 which they haven't for a while now.

Aspirot has definitely been solid, sticks up for his teammates as well which I like. Would definitely prefer re-signing him to another Oesterle.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers drop a 3-2 SO decision this time to the baby Oilers(Condors). Only caught a little more than the last half of it, they were outshot badly but wouldn't necessarily say outplayed. Had the scoring chances about even from what I saw.

Morton was again quality. Had his 1st pro goal and made smart 2 way hustle plays all over the ice. Just an initial impression but I like what I've seen so far, Flames might have something here bottom 6 wise.
Klapka had a nice goal where he stole the puck and stepped out to roof it and also a late OZ penalty with the game tied, so as is typical with him some good some bad.
Poirier was (rightly)benched after a brutal OZ blueline turnover to Holloway that gave the Condors a 2-1 lead. Also had a slick move in the SO, kid has hands and skates amazing but still a lot to cleanup.
Schwindt had a strong game, really uses his reach well. Just wish he would impose his big frame more on the forecheck.
Pelts was moving well and with confidence, think sending him down was the right decision.
Russian(ish) trio of Solovyov, Kuznetsov, and Grushnikov I thought were all pretty solid. Struggle making outlets and avoiding the forecheck sometimes.
the goalie Murphy was good, looked steady and composed. Gave up 3 straight goals in the shootout however.

Wonder if Ben Jones gets a callup at some point late in the season. b2b very solid seasons for the farm club and only 25 years old.

for the Condors really only Holloway stood out.
Stark contrast to how good him and Pelts look at this level and struggle to shine facing NHL competition.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wranglers drop a 3-2 SO decision this time to the baby Oilers(Condors). Only caught a little more than the last half of it, they were outshot badly but wouldn't necessarily say outplayed. Had the scoring chances about even from what I saw.

Morton was again quality. Had his 1st pro goal and made smart 2 way hustle plays all over the ice. Just an initial impression but I like what I've seen so far, Flames might have something here bottom 6 wise.
Klapka had a nice goal where he stole the puck and stepped out to roof it and also a late OZ penalty with the game tied, so as is typical with him some good some bad.
Poirier was (rightly)benched after a brutal OZ blueline turnover to Holloway that gave the Condors a 2-1 lead. Also had a slick move in the SO, kid has hands and skates amazing but still a lot to cleanup.
Schwindt had a strong game, really uses his reach well. Just wish he would impose his big frame more on the forecheck.
Pelts was moving well and with confidence, think sending him down was the right decision.
Russian(ish) trio of Solovyov, Kuznetsov, and Grushnikov I thought were all pretty solid. Struggle making outlets and avoiding the forecheck sometimes.
the goalie Murphy was good, looked steady and composed. Gave up 3 straight goals in the shootout however.

Wonder if Ben Jones gets a callup at some point late in the season. b2b very solid seasons for the farm club and only 25 years old.

for the Condors really only Holloway stood out.
Stark contrast to how good him and Pelts look at this level and struggle to shine facing NHL competition.
Thanks for the write up. Glad you see the same as I do in Poirier, kid has a ton of talent but he's very much a project defensively and will need as much time in the AHL as we can give him, by that I mean I until he's no longer waiver exempt

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Connor Murphy's on a nice run. Look's like he wants to stay
I'll guess that Pelletier went back to LW with Morton at C and Schwindt at RW?
That line of Stromgren/Jones/Klapka always seems to hit the scoreboard

I do wonder if Kerins & Niko are hurt or a healthy scratch. On D its been awhile since Lyle, Jardine and Pysyk played. Maybe only Lyle has a chance to even make this lineup now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Connor Murphy's on a nice run. Look's like he wants to stay
I'll guess that Pelletier went back to LW with Morton at C and Schwindt at RW?
That line of Stromgren/Jones/Klapka always seems to hit the scoreboard

I do wonder if Kerins & Niko are hurt or a healthy scratch. On D its been awhile since Lyle, Jardine and Pysyk played. Maybe only Lyle has a chance to even make this lineup now.
I'd prefer Lyle in the lineup to Oesterle.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Another OT loss. But the good news is they'll likely still make the PO's, even if it is one of the last spots.
Dansk put up good numbers, and 7 D still dressed, so Aspirot must still be playing W.
Same 7 guys for the past 3 games

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Another OT loss. But the good news is they'll likely still make the PO's, even if it is one of the last spots.
Dansk put up good numbers, and 7 D still dressed, so Aspirot must still be playing W.
Same 7 guys for the past 3 games
Yeah, Aspirot is still playing wing. The Wranglers started good last night, then collapsed. They were lucky to even get a point.

The good thing is teams 2-7 in teh Pacific are all within 8 points and have played 60 or 61 games (so 11 or 12 games left), so the first round best of 3 will at least be a pretty even matchup.

Our remaining sked has us playing San Diego (1x), San Jose (2x), Coachella (2x), Bakersfield (2x) and Abbotsford (4x)... San Diego and San Jose are the worst 2 teams in the division, Coachella by far the best, Bakerfield is 5th, and just ahead of us and Abbotsford 7th and just behind us.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wranglers win big 8-4 over the San Diego Gulls

Mitch McLain scored a hatty for us and former Flame Glen Gawdin had one for the Gulls

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With the Jurmo signing, it really has me thinking about next year. Jurmo, Brzustewicz and Honzek should all be going pro, and if we sign Lipinski and Boltmann they could as well.

The blueline should be solid. Poirier, Kuznetsov (RFA), Grushnikov and Lyle (RFA) all should be returning. The aforementioned Brzustewicz and Jurmo should be joining the team. Poolman, Apirot, Pysyk and Oesterle are all UFAs, I think Piilman will be back and possibly be named captain of the team next year. I also suspect Hanley will be waived and start the season in the AHL. Solovyov is waiver eligible so I suspect he'll be on the big club.

The defense could look something like this:
Poirier - Hanley (?)
Kuznetsov - Poolman (?)
Grushnikov - Brzustewicz
x: Jurmo, Boltmann

Up front, I suspect none of Pelletier, Zary or Coronato will be with the AHL club. Stromgren, Morton, Bishop, Kerins, Ciona and Nikoleyev (not that I expect him to play much, I could even see him being loaned to a European club) are all under contract for next season. Schwindt, Klapka, Damiani & Jones are all RFAs. Parker Bell and Samuel Honzek should be going pro. Lipinski is also AHL eligible, but is currently unsigned. I would not be surprised to see Mitch McLain return, Brett Sutter will probably return if he decides not to retire.

Forwards could look something like this:
Honzek - Morton - Schwindt
Jones - Damiani - Klapka
Stromgren - Kerins - Ciona
Bishop - Sutter (?) - McLain (?)
x: Nikolayev

In goal... your guess is as good as mine. Will Markstrom or Vladar get traded? Will Vladar be waived and demoted? Could Vladar be bought out? Could Connor Murphy get a contract offer? Will Dansk return?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
On D you're pretty close to my thoughts as well

Solo having a regular slot as the 6th
Hanley being the floater between leagues to start, and possibly waivered
Poirier, Kuz, Grush, Brzust, + 2 of Poolman/Aspirot/Lyle Then Jurmo/Boltman as depth for injuries

AT forward I don't think Honzek gets 1st line, or even 2nd. He may even go back to the WHL to get his breakout season.
Stromgren/Jones/Klapka have been a great line lately, Stromgren's gonna have a good year next year and will be top 6
Bishop is a contender for Captain, Hunt/Rooney could be AHL and contenders too

Biggest questions is in net. Will Vladar accept an AHL spot? Dansk I'll guess is gone, and Murphy has earned a spot. Is one of the young Russian goalies ready to be the next guy? We might need some depth here.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
If we are gonna play greer and hunt over coronato then coronato needs to be send down... The kid should he playing, esp with the wranglers in a playoff chase

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we are gonna play greer and hunt over coronato then coronato needs to be send down... The kid should he playing, esp with the wranglers in a playoff chase
He probably will be, but the Wranglers were in California, they are on their way home now.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I was wondering if/when Jardine would be released. No room for him now.
Bell I'd guess will impress a bit, but I'm really not expecting too much from him this year - or even next. Same with Jurmo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No shock about Jardine. Also looking forward to seeing Bell, I liked what I saw from him in the couple games he had with the Wranglers last season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers pick up a 2-0 win over the Western Conference leading CV Firebirds in the 2nd game of a b2b after getting shellacked 7-3 the night before.

The goalie Murphy was good, Calgary played well defensively but he shut down a lot of chances by not allowing any rebounds.
Continue to like Morton a lot, scored the game winner on a nice shot from the circle. Made strong smart plays in all 3 zones.
Probably the best Damiani game I've watched so far, nice speed with this player and carried the puck well.
Stromgren has really picked it up in the later half of his first NA pro season, scored the 2nd goal. Might be turning into something after all.
Klapka a total PIA, had most of the Firebirds chasing him around. Very physical in this game.
Poirier was healthy scratched and the defense looked a lot better, make of that what you will.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Klapka a total PIA, had most of the Firebirds chasing him around. Very physical in this game.
This is nice to hear. I've always had a soft spot for PIA players, and Klapka being a big heavy guy being a pain to play against while still putting up decent points is nice. Imagine a 3rd line guy who can score, and play physical as hell. Something we've needed in the past as well, and always useful to have.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Not Wranglers yet, but Lipinski had 3 A lastnight in G1 of the playoffs. He was also by far the best FO guy on either team . He won 22/34 draws. Of all the new rookies for the Wranglers next year, I'm looking forward to seeing him continue to develop.
Honzek also had a goal, and did not take a single FO. You'd think he'd take a few even as a winger

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not Wranglers yet, but Lipinski had 3 A lastnight in G1 of the playoffs. He was also by far the best FO guy on either team . He won 22/34 draws. Of all the new rookies for the Wranglers next year, I'm looking forward to seeing him continue to develop.
Honzek also had a goal, and did not take a single FO. You'd think he'd take a few even as a winger
Watch Lipinski end up the better pro lol

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
This is nice to hear. I've always had a soft spot for PIA players, and Klapka being a big heavy guy being a pain to play against while still putting up decent points is nice. Imagine a 3rd line guy who can score, and play physical as hell. Something we've needed in the past as well, and always useful to have.
I don’t think klapper plays that physical, at least not as much as you would expect an Ivan drago looking mfer to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad