2023-24 Calgary Wranglers Thread

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Watch Lipinski end up the better pro lol
I don't think it's that outlandish...you hope Honzek has more top 6 upside, but that solid bottom 6 C who takes the key FO's & matchups is really important too.
Lipinski could end up the best player from our last 2 drafts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With the Wranglers win Friday and San Diego's loss Saturday, the Wranglers have clinched a playoff spot. We still have a shot at home ice in round 1 and 2

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers pick up a comfortable 5-2 win over the baby Oilers. Seemed like mostly a talent diff to me, not a lot going on for Bakersfield.

Connor Murphy was in goal and played pretty well.
William Stromgren had another multi point game with a G and 2A, really been excellent since the start of March.
Kerins had another goal and some guy named Wedman beat the living shit out of a Condor.
Bell made his pro debut, didn't do much other than throw a cpl hits.
Pelletier had an assist and had a nice finish on a breakaway:

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Not Wranglers yet, but Honzek scored the lone goal for Vancouver lastnight and Lipinski went 21/28 on FO's.
Giants are 1 game away from being eliminated. I want to see them win at least a rnd, but it would be nice to get them on the Heat for a run too. Just don't know how they get in with all the bodies there now.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not particularly important, but Bell made his pro debut and played 2 games last season after Tri-City was eliminated.

oh right ya I forgot about that

Not Wranglers yet, but Honzek scored the lone goal for Vancouver lastnight and Lipinski went 21/28 on FO's.
Giants are 1 game away from being eliminated. I want to see them win at least a rnd, but it would be nice to get them on the Heat for a run too. Just don't know how they get in with all the bodies there now.

Vancouver just isn't good. I've been half watching that series and they're getting dominated.
I think they could maybe get some games. If they're not better than Wedman or Gallant that's not a good sign :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm a little late to the party, but the Wranglers signed David Silye (C) and Seth Eisele (G) to ATOs.

Both are 25.

Silye finished 2nd in scoring for the Wisconsin Badgers... although he had a weird college career, he went to 3 different schools; started at Clarkson as a freshman, then went to U of Minn Mankato for his sophomore and junior years where he was a teammate of Morton, then went to Wisconsin for his senior year. In his junior year he led the Mavericks in points, so it's not like he wasn't getting quality ice-time.

Eisele spent 3 years with Lake Superior State, then his senior year with Nebraska-Omaha. He put up solid numbers but never got a chance to start.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
What kind of crazy schedule is this? The Wranglers finish the season with 4 straight vs Abbottsford.
And then there's a chance they play them 1st rnd!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What kind of crazy schedule is this? The Wranglers finish the season with 4 straight vs Abbottsford.
And then there's a chance they play them 1st rnd!
That's pretty much how they finished last year too, it's because they're close to each other and minimizes travel. Wranglers had their last 3 regular season games vs Abbotsford, they they played in the Wranglers first playoff series. Only difference is Calgary had a bye in round 1 last year.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if any, or all will be in the lineup Thursday
By my count they have 12 extra bodies over the 18 skaters needed to dress. There just isn't room for everyone. It'd be nice to see them get into a game or 2, but I hate to see all the line changes & broken chemistry just before playoffs.

Pelletier, Jones, Schwindt, Klapka, Stromgren, Bishop, McLain, Morton, Sutter should dress for every game - outside the odd rest day
Kerins, Damani, Ciona, Wedman, Gallant....all depending on the matchup
Then you have the new guys in Silye, Bell, Honzek, Lipinski all getting a taste of Pro

So at least 6 forwards will not make the lineup.

We also have 11 D currently: Poolman, Solo, Oesterle, Asp, Kuz, Poirier, Grush, Lyle, Pysyk. Jurmo, Morin. So scratch another 5 from here, although Lyle has missed the past couple months so who knows if he'll even be back.

Nikolaev is currently with Rapid City, so I don't see how he, or any of the other ECHLers come back
I don't get the Silye signing, especially with the CHL guys due to come up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
By my count they have 12 extra bodies over the 18 skaters needed to dress. There just isn't room for everyone. It'd be nice to see them get into a game or 2, but I hate to see all the line changes & broken chemistry just before playoffs.

Pelletier, Jones, Schwindt, Klapka, Stromgren, Bishop, McLain, Morton, Sutter should dress for every game - outside the odd rest day
Kerins, Damani, Ciona, Wedman, Gallant....all depending on the matchup
Then you have the new guys in Silye, Bell, Honzek, Lipinski all getting a taste of Pro

So at least 6 forwards will not make the lineup.

We also have 11 D currently: Poolman, Solo, Oesterle, Asp, Kuz, Poirier, Grush, Lyle, Pysyk. Jurmo, Morin. So scratch another 5 from here, although Lyle has missed the past couple months so who knows if he'll even be back.

Nikolaev is currently with Rapid City, so I don't see how he, or any of the other ECHLers come back
I don't get the Silye signing, especially with the CHL guys due to come up.
10 extra bodies if everyone is healthy per the AHL roster page (I added Lipinski and Honzek as they aren't on there yet), Solovyov was recalled. It's all about playoff depth, and giving prospects a chance to experience a pro game; development is more important than winning in the AHL.

It's also worth noting that Silye is a RHS center, something we don't have much of. In fact Daminai is the only other, as it's clear they prefer Schwindt on the wing. The only other RHS forward besides those 3 is Klapka. That of course will increase when Coronato joins the team after the Flames season is done.

When the playoffs roll around, I'd like to see...

Pelletier - Morton - Coronato
Stromgren - Jones - Klapka
Kerins - Damiani - Schwindt
Bishop - Sutter - McLain

Then have Honzek as the 1st injury replacement as the experience could be very good for his development

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Lipinski & Morin got into their 1st pro games - anyone watch?

Bishop has missed the past few games, hopefully he's back for playoffs

The massive collapse is almost over. The Wranglers will likely finish 7th and play the #2 seed 1st rnd

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wranglers will face Tucson or Ontario in Round 1, If the Reign get a point tomorrow it will be them, otherwise it's the Roadrunners

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Wolf, Coronato & Solo all back with the Wranglers (almost called them Heat, lol)
Yesterday's lineup pretty close to what we'll see G1, but likely Sutter in for Honzek.

After being well below .500 in 2024, let's see if we can win a round with a better lineup.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Watched both the games against Abbotsford this weekend. Was pretty even overall despite the Wranglers losing both, the Schwindt line with Pelletier and Stromgren were excellent in the first one. Honzek had some good moments, had some nice plays off the boards. Seemed too hesitant to hold on to the puck. Another couple goals for Sam Morton. Thought Kuznetsov was our best dman.

Wranglers seem to have inherited the Flames problem of having an inordinate amount of goal mouth scrambles where they should score but don't.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Reign lost today, so the Wranglers will open up the playoffs in Tucson in a best-of-3 against the Roadrunners. All 3 games will be on the road.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
1713746701360.png

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I wonder what we have in Sam Morton.

Anyone have a scouting report?

His toothless half grin reminds me of a young Paul Stastny, but I'm sure his mug is where the similarities end.

What's his game like?

Hobey baker finalist is nice credentials - and it would seem he's had a smooth transition to the pro game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad