2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don’t think Grans is any good but Charlie said recently the Flyers probably aren’t gonna call-up Andrae again this year.

I will preface this by saying I am not 100%, but believe the following is the case by putting the pieces together from a few decent sources...

From what I understand:

They are happy with way Andrae has played in AHL... but don't want him coming back up to the NHL, not quite handling it like at start of year and then being disrupted and going back down.

I *think* the management team did not want him to start in the NHL even with his camp and pre-season meaning he "deserved" it... but Torts enjoyed the grit and battle he had and wanted him on the opening night roster.

I believe if Torts had his "full" way then Andrae would be up before multiple guys who already are.

Tuomaala is also, I believe, on the "No call-up" list.

They really dont want to rattle his confidence (Tuomaala) by NHL exposure I think...

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What if he was the second best prospect in the pool behind Michkov?

He arguably is? I’m not familiar enough with Ciernik. I’ve been a big Barkey fan since last season’s playoffs, but it’s a bit damning a statement too for a *cough* rebuild in year 3.

Barkey has everything other than tweener physical tools. I don’t know if those will cap him. But the skill and brain are legit legit. He has a lot of deception and wiggle on his edges though in tight areas. If he wins at the next level, despite the size and average speed, it’s because of that.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
3 pts in a playoff spot with 2 games in hand and playing worst team in the division. They no doubt will get trounced tonight as IL lacks any kind of coaching knowledge. He'll have them laying down taking pucks to the face......

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
NHL exposure, or Tortorella exposure?

He apparently got really low on himself over the last couple of years... had never really faced the adversity of not being one of the best players where he was playing, and got to Liiga and just, well, I guess was shocked by the step up level wise and his confidence crumbled.

And this year feels confident, playing well... so I can't imagine they want to have him exposed to the NHL (when he is certainly not NHL level quite yet) and then have his season disrupted, play only a few minutes, and then likely be sent back down anyway.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
What is with Gendron? Is he hurt? He really tailed off in Feb/Mar and has not played since 3/6

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
He apparently got really low on himself over the last couple of years... had never really faced the adversity of not being one of the best players where he was playing, and got to Liiga and just, well, I guess was shocked by the step up level wise and his confidence crumbled.

And this year feels confident, playing well... so I can't imagine they want to have him exposed to the NHL (when he is certainly not NHL level quite yet) and then have his season disrupted, play only a few minutes, and then likely be sent back down anyway.

There are some in here who could never admit the Flyers handled even a small part of a player’s development well, but this seems like a proper patient approach with Samu.

It’s also not like the big club is really lacking for skilled wingers right now and Tuomalaa likely wouldn’t be playing the type of role where he’d get that feeling of confidence if he was called up anyway.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Sounds like Hunter McDonald is on his way to Lehigh Valley.
Was this tweeted somewhere?

So for clarity and my own education, Flyers still need to sign him? They are very high on him so wondering why they wouldn't have yet.
The Phantoms have signed defenseman Hunter McDonald to a PTO.

McDonald, 21 a 6th rounder of the 2022 Draft is making his pro debut tonight being paired with another 6th round pick Ethan Samson.

The hulking 6-4 blueliner McDonald just completed his second season at Northeastern University where he scored 1 goal with 5 assists for 6 points in 23 games played. In his NCAA career, McDonald played 58 games in two seasons with the Northeastern Univ. Huskies scoring 2-18-20 with 88 PIM.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There are some in here who could never admit the Flyers handled even a small part of a player’s development well, but this seems like a proper patient approach with Samu.

The current AGM, who drafted Tuomaala, stuck him in the AHL at age 18. The same people who mocked that move have no interest in Tuomaala seeing NHL time this season.

Tuomaala has 20/41 points on the PP. And only 5 of his 14 goals are at 5v5. For a pure shooter and PP1 player, 101 shots in 59 games is quite low. I think it's a foregone conclusion he needs to not only repeat these numbers but improve upon them next season to move up a level. Tuomaala is producing at the same rate per game as Desnoyers last season, and there's room for regression too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad