Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Drafting Brad Richards (along with signing Martin St Louis) saved this team. As a result of those moves, the 2004 Cup bought them time/goodwill, ownership & management tried driving it into the ground right after, but then the arrival of Stamkos, Hedman, Vinik, & Yzerman turned the ship back around and haven't looked back since.
Probably wouldn't even be a Lightning fan without St. Louis. Well, aside from Khabibulin. St. Louis was probably my favourite player at the time and I thought Khabibulin had a cool mask :laugh:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Losing the 2001 draft lottery to f***ing Atlanta and losing out on Kolvachuk/Spezza and getting Svitov instead. Still stings.

Once Richards arrived in 2000, things got a hell of a lot easier to stomach. 98-00 was absolutely f***ing brutal though.
Getting Kovalchuk means no Stamkos & Hedman. Kovalchuk might mean no 2004 Cup and thus unlikely shot at the 2020 and 2021 Cup for the Lightning. Previous failures/misfortune set the events in motion for future successes. Butterfly effect is strong.

Reactions: Rschmitz and Hoek

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Getting Kovalchuk means no Stamkos & Hedman. Kovalchuk might mean no 2004 Cup and thus unlikely shot at the 2020 and 2021 Cup for the Lightning. Previous failures/misfortune set the events in motion for future successes. Butterfly effect is strong.
i mean, yeah, maybe. but he's right, early aughts drafting was abysmal. shit, we didn't get good at drafting until we had no choice with stammer and hedman.

Reactions: Rschmitz and Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I find it hard to relitigate past drafts and trades immediately after the cups we won because of that. Who's to say it wouldn't have pushed us into the territory of being too good to tank but not good enough to win the cup because of guys eating cap and missing out on our other stars... Tough question. But it sure would've made the team a lot easier to watch if we weren't quite so abysmal at acquiring talent back then.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The post cup dismantling would have happened regardless of who we drafted or how we did thanks to the CBA and internal cap. Since we are talking about the butterfly effect though, maybe we end up with the #1 pick in 2015 and we have McDavid-Kucherov right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Drafting Brad Richards (along with signing Martin St Louis) saved this team. As a result of those moves, the 2004 Cup bought them time/goodwill, ownership & management tried driving it into the ground right after, but then the arrival of Stamkos, Hedman, Vinik, & Yzerman turned the ship back around and haven't looked back since.

Those moves had nothing to do with saving the team or winning the Cup. Signing Andreychuk and ripping the C of Vinny was what saved this franchise from being Atlanta or Arizona. That's why he has a statue out front and not that bum Lecavalier.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Those moves had nothing to do with saving the team or winning the Cup. Signing Andreychuk and ripping the C of Vinny was what saved this franchise from being Atlanta or Arizona. That's why he has a statue out front and not that bum Lecavalier.

I know this was tongue in cheek but taking the captaincy away from Lecavalier was the best thing that ever happened for his career, and a big reason why I didn't like seeing Stamkos with the "C". Injuries obviously hurt his production but I believe the extra burden of captaincy probably hurt as well.

Moving forward I will always want the captaincy to be handed to a bottom line plug.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I know this was tongue in cheek but taking the captaincy away from Lecavalier was the best thing that ever happened for his career, and a big reason why I didn't like seeing Stamkos with the "C". Injuries obviously hurt his production but I believe the extra burden of captaincy probably hurt as well.

Moving forward I will always want the captaincy to be handed to a bottom line plug.
Come on down Tanner!

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Torts had to turn Vinny into a team player and two way player for.the lightning to win!

+ McDounagh 🤦‍♂️
Mcd should be roughly thr same amount of salary as jeannot, sheary, and one or two of fleury, Perbix, and dehann. That trade broke our solid defense and lead to the zero depth spiral on defense.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Who are the top RFA on defense this summer? That should be a top priority for the retool. Move some pieces, w.e just get D depth that isn't a rotating door of scrub 6/7 dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad