Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Biggest indictment of BriseBois this season has been not finding better options to fill the scoring void created by Sheary being a blackhole.

Biggest indictment of Cooper this season has been not scratching Sheary more consistently to light a fire under his ass AND send a message to this dressing room that you need to perform to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: Zwui21

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I just don't think they'll be able to get any solid depth with the amount of big contracts they have now. It's just a revolving door of 4th liners we're trying to put on the 3rd line and even the 2nd line

Not to mention we're still missing a legit top 6 winger and have issues on D.

A contract or two has to go in order to create a full team tbh. Otherwise it's just more of this for a few more years

Sometimes in order to retool, tough decisions need to be made

Reactions: Byrddog and Outl4w

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Damn I didn't know you could get a quality bottom player just for 3rd. You can even get a middle six winger like Tarasenko for that price. You can also re-sign players without overpaying them. Like the Panthers did with Forsling. And now Hanifin will re-sign for only 7 million in Vegas? Well, now you can spend all your money on Stamkos.

#FireJBB

Reactions: Outl4w

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I just don't think they'll be able to get any solid depth with the amount of big contracts they have now. It's just a revolving door of 4th liners we're trying to put on the 3rd line and even the 2nd line

Not to mention we're still missing a legit top 6 winger and have issues on D.

A contract or two has to go in order to create a full team tbh. Otherwise it's just more of this for a few more years

Sometimes in order to retool, tough decisions need to be made
They'll have e 11.6 million and change, with the ability to gain another 1.5-2 5 depending on how much they would spend on replacing Jeannot and Sheary(in theory). If Hanifin doesn't end up with Tampa, there will be other dmen that could make it to ufa and be available(Peace, Skjei, Walker etc). Either Stamkos takes something in the 5 range or he's gone imo, and then the team can acquire a dman and use the small amount left over as needed to fill bottom 6 spots. If Stamkos walks, they can use the 5 and change on a different ufa forward or forwards as needed to address the middle 6.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
"Why would we add, we're not making the playoffs"

Now.

"Why didn't JBB go out and sign guys?"

:biglaugh:
Hanafin was a little different because adding him wasn't really about this year. Now that he's off the table, unless something similar is out there, I still think the best move is to either stand pat or trade periphery pieces for assets that can be flipped in the off-season, or next year.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Cooper does weird things. Why is Cirelli, who has 25(!) career PPP, still playing on the 1st PP? Not Hagel or even Paul, who was very good at the start of the season. Why isn't Hagel playing on the 1st line? He and Kuch dominated games. Hagel has 54 EVP points, Stamkos has 24.
This team would already be in the playoffs if he hadn't screwed up the lines and special teams. That alone would be enough.
So what's going on? Has he lost his mind? Maybe he was paid by MacKinnon? Other options? Feel free to discuss, I went to work

Reactions: ccman68

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hanafin was a little different because adding him wasn't really about this year. Now that he's off the table, unless something similar is out there, I still think the best move is to either stand pat or trade periphery pieces for assets that can be flipped in the off-season, or next year.

Hey don't try to use your brain, its black and white with some people.

Hanafin would've made no sense as a rental either, it was only worth taking a shot had he been willing to sign. With Vasy as horrible as he is this year there was no point spending on rentals.

Reactions: DFC

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Stamkos - Cirelli - Duclair
Jeanott - Paul - Chaffee
Eyssimont - Glenn

The top two lines at least look like top two lines now.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Stamkos - Cirelli - Duclair
Jeanott - Paul - Chaffee
Eyssimont - Glenn

The top two lines at least look like top two lines now.
I'd like to see Duclair swapped with Hagel. Maximize his offensive capabilities and keep Hagel with Cirelli for chemistry.

Duclair - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Cirelli - Stamkos
Jeannot - Paul - Eyssimont
Sheary - Glendening - Chaffee

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I'd like to see Duclair swapped with Hagel. Maximize his offensive capabilities and keep Hagel with Cirelli for chemistry.

Duclair - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Cirelli - Stamkos
Jeannot - Paul - Eyssimont
Sheary - Glendening - Chaffee
That could work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad