Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This year is a write off at this point. JBB might try for a push/spark to get them into the playoffs but the level of play from everyone isn't clicking this year. Hedman is having a good offensive year, kind if mid on the defense. Hagel is producing well, and Kuch is obviously in god mode. Stamkos could just be due to contract distraction stuff, I can almost guarantee that. Not sure what's up with Point and Vasy this year, specially Vasy.

Next year is when they have to tell the roster and coaching stuff enough of this coasting or lack of effort bullshit. One last ride, get your act together. If they still underperfom then they gotta shake things up with coaching staff, maybe of our big contracts are moved and maybe JBB is relieved of duties.
I don't think it's gonna get that bad. JFBB will get his own coaching hire before we dismantle the entire club. I don't even think it will get THAT bad either. I don't think Coop has lost the room at all. I think they hinge on his every word. But I think the team is completely checked out of the regular season and the rest of the NHL has the book on his coaching recipe. He just needs to do something different and he has always done well with that.

The only beef I'm gonna have with Coop is if we run the 3-1-1 death by structure every second he possibly can next year when it has barely worked at all this year. Everyone knows how to beat it now and we're not gonna reconstruct a 2001 dead puck era team that plays well enough to keep on doing it

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It depends on this year. Say we clowned in 5 games this year after pulling teeth to get Hanifin and at mid point next year we go 18-23-2 with all that talent and blow 7 leads and lose in the process. At the very least the question of "Whats going on and how are you fixing it" is gonna come up
Don't buy it. Honestly JBB took a gamble on a lot of guys this year (and honestly thats the position we're in, what we have to do) and the majority of this falls on him for the moment. I had high hopes that we'd at least get some half-assed offense out of guys like Sheary and Motte but even that hasn't really come to fruition, almost nothing they attempted personnel-wise in the bottom six actually worked out this year except Glendening. Most of the kids they've called up have been more effective on a night to night basis.

It depends on this year. Say we clowned in 5 games this year after pulling teeth to get Hanifin and at mid point next year we go 18-23-2 with all that talent and blow 7 leads and lose in the process. At the very least the question of "Whats going on and how are you fixing it" is gonna come up
Thats a whole lot of "what ifs", right up there with "what if the team bus crashed in Calgary"

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Don't buy it. Honestly JBB took a gamble on a lot of guys this year (and honestly thats the position we're in, what we have to do) and the majority of this falls on him for the moment. I had high hopes that we'd at least get some half-assed offense out of guys like Sheary and Motte but even that hasn't really come to fruition, almost nothing they attempted personnel-wise in the bottom six actually worked out this year except Glendening. Most of the kids they've called up have been more effective on a night to night basis.

Thats a whole lot of "what ifs", right up there with "what if the team bus crashed in Calgary"
This. We knew we had to make a bunch of smaller moves and take chances due to cap constraints. The moves just didn't work.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
This. We knew we had to make a bunch of smaller moves and take chances due to cap constraints. The moves just didn't work.
Almost none of them, my friend. I have no issues admitting I was the guy pumping tires at the potential of this bottom six at the start of the year, I thought for sure having guys like 21/91/86/38 in front of something like Sheary-Cirelli-Jeannot would at least produce somewhat. Instead, the only two in the bottom half that have done something useful has been Essy and Glendening. Brutal.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
When is the last time a true puck possession guy who drives the play (like Marty and Point) has played alongside Stamkos? Not including Point. Was it Drouin?

To be honest, other than Drouin, I don't think we've had a player like that since Marty - other than Point obviously.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
When is the last time a true puck possession guy who drives the play (like Marty and Point) has played alongside Stamkos? Not including Point. Was it Drouin?

To be honest, other than Drouin, I don't think we've had a player like that since Marty - other than Point obviously.
Stamkos has had a revolving door of lineamates, usually multiple in a season. We haven't had a truly talented winger to plant him with long-term to gain any chemistry with

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Does the Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov line to end 2017-18 count or no?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Does the Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov line to end 2017-18 count or no?
I don't really view Kucherov as a puck possession guy like Marty or Point. I think he is more of a passer and quick decision maker. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Miller I honestly don't remember his game that well. Was he a big possession guy?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I don't really view Kucherov as a puck possession guy like Marty or Point. I think he is more of a passer and quick decision maker. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Miller I honestly don't remember his game that well. Was he a big possession guy?
Miller flashed moments of that but he deferred quite a bit to the other top guys. He's much more puck dominant in Vancouver where he became a top guy.

Reactions: Renopucker

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
mantha has a 5.7 milly cap hit and will be expecting a raise next season. i dont expect vegas to keep him longer than the post season.
Do we want to keep jeannot at 3 million or sheary at 2 million? If he walked who cares. We got rid of two players not bringing anything we don't have and replaced them with a top 6 power forward to try to win in the playoffs.

Florida got Taresenko at 50% retained for less than we paid for useless Jeannot. What a bad trade that was.

Reactions: The Gongshow

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Do we want to keep jeannot at 3 million or sheary at 2 million? If he walked who cares. We got rid of two players not bringing anything we don't have and replaced them with a top 6 power forward to try to win in the playoffs.

Florida got Taresenko at 50% retained for less than we paid for useless Jeannot. What a bad trade that was.
Mantha and Tarasenko combined got less of a return than Jeannot did...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This board is awful at letting go off players we've had in the past, lol.
It really is. I still want Gourde back hahahaha. I have no attachment to DeAngelo though. The last thing the city of Tampa needs is yet another person who won't shut up about politics

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Mantha and Tarasenko combined got less of a return than Jeannot did...
That would have solved our top 6 and bottom 6 problems. Mantha and taresensko with point/stamkos and
Kuch and Hagel with Point/Stamkos. Bottom 6
Cirelli Paul esymont
Motte glendenning and chaffee/Watson/sheary
Terrible trade for Jeannot last year.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So to keep track

2024 draft picks

TB 1st rd pick (Hagel trade)
TB 2nd rd pick (Jeannot trade)
TB 3rd rd pick
TB 4th rd pick (Paul trade)
TB 5th rd pick
TB 6th rd pick
CHI 7th rd pick
(Perry trade)
MIN 7th rd pick (Maroon trade)
TB 7th rd pick (ANA-EDM trade)

2025 draft picks

TB 1st rd pick (Jeannot trade)
TB 2nd rd pick
TB 3rd rd pick
TB 4th rd pick
EDM 4th rd pick
(ANA-EDM trade) *2026 if EDM wins cup
TB 5th rd pick
TB 6th rd pick
TB 7th rd pick
MIN 7th rd pick
(Bogosian trade)

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
So to keep track

2024 draft picks

TB 1st rd pick (Hagel trade)
TB 2nd rd pick (Jeannot trade)
TB 3rd rd pick
TB 4th rd pick (Paul trade)
TB 5th rd pick
TB 6th rd pick
CHI 7th rd pick
(Perry trade)
MIN 7th rd pick (Maroon trade)
TB 7th rd pick (ANA-EDM trade)

2025 draft picks

TB 1st rd pick (Jeannot trade)
TB 2nd rd pick
TB 3rd rd pick
TB 4th rd pick
EDM 4th rd pick
(ANA-EDM trade) *2026 if EDM wins cup
TB 5th rd pick
TB 6th rd pick
TB 7th rd pick
MIN 7th rd pick
(Bogosian trade)
Now would be a really nice time to move CDH for a 2024 4th. Cap space back in business and we gained two 4ths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad