Prospect Info: 2023 14th Overall - Brayden Yager

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
You know I'm just being difficult as usual.

If they were gonna keep this pick... Yager is at least the KIND of player I wanted them to take so it's not like I'm clawing out my eyes over here. And fair point re: trades. Frankly there wasn't much tempting out there the Penguins could have realistically been in on prior to the draft. And what was didn't look great to me. Hell no trades all fist round yesterday.

In general I agree with the notion that this league is just borrrrrringggggggg and we love to be entertained.
I'm beginning to think I'm just not aggressively negative enough for this place.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just spend the weekend watching clips of Rico Fata and Sebastien Caron with Elliott Smith playing on repeat and you'll catch up in no time.
That doesn't help me know enough to shit on draft picks and be able to explain how every move the GM makes is the worst move ever and anyone who thinks otherwise is a Low-IQ Wank Pheasant who should be cleaning truck stop bathroom stalls with their tongues.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I've rethinked my position since yesterday. It takes a lot of risk and guts to go from a guy known for an elite shot to a guy who plays a 200ft game so late in his junior career. Along with the drop in offensive numbers that come with it. He's probably atleast 3 years away from having a potential impact at the NHL level, but it will be fun for fans to watch his development and see what direction he goes.
There was no drop in offensive numbers. His assist totals soared this season - the only reason he was available at our pick was because the goal-scoring declined slightly. But all the tools that made him such a highly regarded goal scorer a year ago are still there.

And he’s been a strong two-way player since I watched him play in his minor hockey days. He has the inherent strong will to defend and the smarts to back it up that many offensive play drivers simply lack.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Was that before he was drafted? I couldn't remember. I thought that was post draft. The Penguins never even got him officially in their system before he was traded.
I think his stock was falling before the Pens drafted him. I thought the knee injury was post draft

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
My big concern with Yager is size, frankly, not talent.
I dont know about that. I really don't see the "talent" even in the highlights ge looks vanilla, at best. Nothing is screaming "skill" imo. Watch Benson for example and then you can clearly see the skill, creativity and vision. I just don't see that with Yager.

Maybe not a coincidence best case is Sutter/Mccann. Boring to say the least. And aciura when said they were told to "swing for the fences" how they then settle for Yager instee of Perreault for example is just utter BS

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That shot is a talent in and of itself. I don’t think he’s going to be a creative force per se, but a lot of these crafty talented playmakers never really seem to pan out for us either.

Reactions: Jacob

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
That shot is a talent in and of itself. I don’t think he’s going to be a creative force per se, but a lot of these crafty talented playmakers never really seem to pan out for us either.
Yeah maybe. Looks a lot like Legare tho. And of the shot is THAT good, it's a nit alarming he only out up 28 goals. I know he worked on other areas, but that shouldn't come at the expense of scoring, it should build on top of it

Reactions: Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I mean, if the kid's absolute floor is Penguins-era McCann, that's still a pretty good pick, given how little our 1st rounders tend to work out.
By the time he’s ready, if he’s on the top line and actually is like McCann, I’ll take 30+ goals. Sid and G will be gone most likely, so he’ll have a chance to play in all areas.

I’m really hoping some of these kids pan out. I’ll need some Z Generation games to at least be interesting.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I dont know about that. I really don't see the "talent" even in the highlights ge looks vanilla, at best. Nothing is screaming "skill" imo. Watch Benson for example and then you can clearly see the skill, creativity and vision. I just don't see that with Yager.

Maybe not a coincidence best case is Sutter/Mccann. Boring to say the least. And aciura when said they were told to "swing for the fences" how they then settle for Yager instee of Perreault for example is just utter BS
Sutter and McCann are two very different outcomes.

If Yager turns into a two way 40 goal scorer, like McCann. We should all be thrilled.

Reactions: Al Smith

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
/u/WinnipegGoldeye on Reddit just pointed out that an anagram of 'Brayden Yager' is 'any greybeard' :laugh:

A lot of this will be determined by our No. 3 center. We know it will not be David Kampf (phew). Is O'Reilly an option? Are we going after a younger player (Roslovic? Morgan Geekie? Alex Turcotte?), or are they going for a former Leaf (Kerfoot? Acciari?).
Mikael Granlund is an option.
At least for now.
Ironically or not, Seattle McCann could have been Pittsburgh McCann too if we hadn't done the dumb move of trying to protect Carter over him.
Nah. There's no chance McCann shoots 19.1% in Pittsburgh.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I don’t think Granlund is going anywhere unless we pick up a 3C somewhere…he’s center insurance…unfortunate though it is

Reactions: Jacob

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hopefully this guy and Pickering can be ready sooner rather than later and inject some youth into a very old lineup.

Hahaha
04 and 05 were easy picks, I wanted Toews in 06 and Trouba in 12. Wanted either Wood or Danielsson this year.
I wanted Trouba or Forsberg. I'd love to know what was going through their heads when they picked Pouliot.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The draft is a crapshoot anyway, let's see who actually IS a good player vs a bust.
Yep. I wonder if they actually talk to these kids and see what they really truly aim to do.
Party all day and night and chase puck bunnies or do they hit the gym and train...
Sometimes you wonder about how picks play out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad