Prospect Info: 2022 World Junior Championships

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Tournament is tainted now, just an insane decision to not have the teams in a bubble. It's a relatively short tournament and bubbles have proven to work. I don't wish ANYONE to get COVID, but the IIHF deserves this to happen to the Canadian team so they can get that level of backlash

Reactions: ru4reals

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Easy to say this now in hindsight, but why would you keep all goaltenders together when you have CV and the isolating together issue? Either keep them separate or have an emergency 3rd GT kept offsite ready to join in case of a CV issue. Oh well
So if it was the goalies could they still not just play 6 on 5?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I watched the first 2 periods of the Sweden 3-0 game and frankly I was pissed at how the Slovak coach handled Chromiak! Here was a kid that scored twice the game before against the USA and then barely sees the ice for 40 minutes? Never watched the third but had the audio on. If I coached Chromiak he'd be playing 30-35 minutes a game in the World Juniors...something screwy in St Louie
Although Slovak coaching has sucked this tournament in regards to various player usage, Chromiak was terrible last night. He barely helped the Slovak defenders break the puck out and would instead just sit at the blue line waiting for our defenders to get him the puck (half of whom are playing in their first ever WJC and 16 or 17). When he would get the puck on those occasions and get a partial break, he failed to convert on any of his chances. Myklukha has to constantly do the heavy lifting on transitions because Martin is waiting for a breakaway. He’s supposed to be the best player on this team and yet for long stretches he looks like the 5th or 6th best player as he waits for the chance to score instead of going to create a chance for himself.

In the third period he showed why he didn’t get a letter over Faith or Nemec. Slovakia gets a 5 minute powerplay and for 3 minutes he demands the puck for a shot and consistently whiffs or just holds the puck and skates around than begrudgingly passes the puck around the perimeter more. He than sulks around the ice for the rest of the game, setting a terrible example for a team that has 9 players who are 17 or younger. He genuinely seemed like he didn’t care. Compare that to Slafkovsky or Dvorsky, a 17 and 16 year old, who are going all out defensively and also skating their hearts out to the end of the game.

I know he’s not a first rounder but he just signed an NHL contract and has AHL experience. He should be the best player and he certainly can be for Slovakia because he is the most skilled and physically mature player on the team. He should be setting an example for this team, not creating more distractions.

Reactions: King'sPawn

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Starting to re-think my position that the Kings ought trade either or both of their first round picks in 22 & 23, 22 is looking like it has quality at least in the top 15-20, and 23 looks like it might one day draw comps to 2003 & 2015.

Reactions: kinghock

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
It cant get more crowded at center.. you hurt development if you keep this up... and just assuming guys can move to wing is a bad idea as you can see Vilardi wasnt shy about being disappointed about it. Centers grow up centers they learn faceoffs and how to be the 3rd D down low.. Wingers grow up working the top half of the D zone and quick to get speed for a rush.. its a different mentality. What do we have Fagemo and Kaliyev? Who else is developing at wing I cant think of anyone else. It seems like a crisis to be this center heavy.
Wasn't the issue that Vilardi notoriously didn't think he had to work on faceoffs in practice?
(citation: "He struggled in the faceoff dot, winning less than 46% of all draws, which came under scrutiny when he noted that he didn’t feel like he needed to work on his faceoffs in practice.")

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brandt Clarke:

54c.jpg

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Weird how they were able to get through the tournament a year ago when things seemed much worse. I guess the bubble really did work.

Definitely needed to bubble this one too. Feels like last year was worse for hospitalizations etc...but it is worse for simply getting the virus this year.

I'm two shots down and hadn't got it yet but two close contacts later on Christmas and I'm expecting a positive test tomorrow. If we can tell that the vaccine isn't stopping infections from the new variant, then you need to bubble it up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Weird how they were able to get through the tournament a year ago when things seemed much worse. I guess the bubble really did work.

Yeah. Apparently the players were sharing rooms and sharing the hotel with the general public.

Apparrently officials have also tested positive.

Just sloppy planning and execution.

Though in all honesty, this is appropriate considering they canceled the women's WJC and didn't even try to accommodate them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad