2022 World Junior Championship has been cancelled (MOD: Stay on topic)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I've seen several posters use personal Covid experiences to attempt to solidify their arguments on here that Covid is extremely dangerous and hasn't been blown out of proportion to any extent.

I have Covid right now, my only symptoms are an itchy throat and a mild cough, it feels like an extremely mild cold, it's run through nearly a dozen family members at this point and the most severe symptom that's transpired was a mid grade fever, basically everyone infected has mild symptoms or none at all.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say that Covid is a joke as it clearly impacts people differently, but I figured I would share my own current experience with covid since I've went through this page and read several "horror stories".

This was a complete and total failure by the IIHF & Canada, I can't see things changing anytime soon as long as they continue testing asymptomatic individuals, this is how life is going to go on.

Reactions: wacko2

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I've seen several posters use personal Covid experiences to attempt to solidify their arguments on here that Covid is extremely dangerous and hasn't been blown out of proportion to any extent.

I have Covid right now, my only symptoms are an itchy throat and a mild cough, it feels like an extremely mild cold, it's run through nearly a dozen family members at this point and the most severe symptom that's transpired was a mid grade fever, basically everyone infected has mild symptoms or none at all.

Now I'm not going to sit here and say that Covid is a joke as it clearly impacts people differently, but I figured I would share my own current experience with covid since I've went through this page and read several "horror stories".

This was a complete and total failure by the IIHF & Canada, I can't see things changing anytime soon as long as they continue testing asymptomatic individuals, this is how life is going to go on.
Agreed. It was politics and maybe worriedness that canceled the tournament, not Covid. ( My personal experience was the serious version of the virus, in 2020 long before the vaccines and Omicron, that was something else.. In thoose days you got really sick and THEN tested yourself.. )

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Agreed. It was politics and maybe worriedness that canceled the tournament, not Covid. ( My personal experience was the serious version of the virus, in 2020 long before the vaccines and Omicron, that was something else.. In thoose days you got really sick and THEN tested yourself.. )

Maybe my family have just been lucky but the cases I referenced included some pre vaccination as well.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Maybe my family have just been lucky but the cases I referenced included some pre vaccination as well.
Im not an expert. It has gotten to the point though, you got to do like you do. Look around for yourself. Think rational. Ignore media for a few secs. Learn about how other viruses in history behaved.. Here we are with the Omicron-variant, congrats to you and your family now probably beeing immune to Covid because of it and that with out much suffering obviously.

Reactions: TimeZone

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

That's great and I'm glad that was the case. The same can't be said for the multiple 30 and 40 year olds we've had to intubate and bring to the ICU... unprecedented before COVID-19. This is, of course, with alpha and delta variants and peri-vaccine introduction. I don't think anyone denies that Omicron appears to be milder on a population level. Whether the sheer number of people infected with it threatens to overwhelm hospitals is a different thing (eg. let's say 1/10th the virulence but 10x as many infections will yield the same result, I simplified it a lot) but positive things out of South Africa so far.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I read that Czech version, it is one-sided, all the blame is on Russians. You can read any Russian hockey media (here, here, here) and you will see some differences from the Czech version - Czech players tried to bring a beer to plane, some Czech & Russian players/coaches were drunk, Zubov smoked (he refused it, so I do not know), some Russians & Czechs did not wear their masks correctly, some Finn (looks like not a player) was so drunk he could not even sit. I do not know where the truth is, but the Czech version seems to be so one-sided... finally, Czechs & Russians left the plane due to masks, Finns flied home.

Btw, that Russian articles quoted the Czech version (Otakar Černý) as well. Plus they presented their version as addition.
Now it's a battle between our medias.lol Czechs have brought in Finns and Slovaks to confirm we are good.haha

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle... more action at the airport than the rink at this years juniors!

Rusové obvinili národní tým. Pravda je ale na české straně, potvrzují ostatní výpravy | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Now it's a battle between our medias.lol Czechs have brought in Finns and Slovaks to confirm we are good.haha

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle... more action at the airport than the rink at this years juniors!

Rusové obvinili národní tým. Pravda je ale na české straně, potvrzují ostatní výpravy | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje
I read the article, but I do not care what journalists write, they have their agenda. The most important here is the reaction of OFFICIAL representatives of the Czech & Russian hockey federations. Mr Černý (Czech side) BLAMED 100% Russians, without any hesitation, while the Russian side said NOTHING.

Btw, when they cancelled the WJC, as I saw it the most vocal was some 3rd tier goalie from Slovakia while the real stars were silent.

It says a lot.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I read the article, but I do not care what journalists write, they have their agenda. The most important here is the reaction of OFFICIAL representatives of the Czech & Russian hockey federations. Mr Černý (Czech side) BLAMED 100% Russians, without any hesitation, while the Russian side said NOTHING.

Btw, when they cancelled the WJC, as I saw it the most vocal was some 3rd tier goalie from Slovakia while the real stars were silent.

It says a lot.
It actually seems like a lot of people are blaming the Russians for this one. Second time too (Buffalo).

You posted three articles of Russians saying Czechs were just as bad... That's not nothing as you say.

However... It is not hard for me to picture a bunch of Czechs getting loud and drunk.lol.

Regarding Slovak goalie . I think he was their starter, no? They had a really strong team this year... Similar to group that got silver at hlinkas.

They should be good next year too.

Also .. I've read a lot of criticism from Russia about how canda dealt with this.

I'm not sure the Russians are as quiet as you think about the airport and tournament.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It actually seems like a lot of people are blaming the Russians for this one. Second time too (Buffalo).

You posted three articles of Russians saying Czechs were just as bad... That's not nothing as you say.

However... It is not hard for me to picture a bunch of Czechs getting loud and drunk.lol.

Regarding Slovak goalie . I think he was their starter, no? They had a really strong team this year... Similar to group that got silver at hlinkas.

They should be good next year too.

Also .. I've read a lot of criticism from Russia about how canda dealt with this.

I'm not sure the Russians are as quiet as you think about the airport and tournament.
You did not get my point. Of course, the Russian media cover the story. I wrote it in one of my previous posts (when I posted the links). Now, I was talking about statements of the OFFICIAL representatives of the Czech & Russian hockey federation. You posted an article with a video where Mr Černý blames the Russians. He is the official representative of the Czech hockey federation. Did you see the same statement (blaming Czechs) by the Russian hockey federation guy/PR U20 manager (or Zubov or other coach)? If you read this, feel free to post. All I read is a statement by the FHR where they say something like we will communicate with all involved (Air Canada, IIHF, other U20 Teams) for cancelled flight. The main reason by Air Canada, the reason why we were not allowed to fly, was the incorrect wearing of the masks, all members of our delegation were wearing the masks, but some incorrectly according to Air Canada.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You did not get my point. Of course, the Russian media cover the story. I wrote it in one of my previous posts (when I posted the links). Now, I was talking about statements of the OFFICIAL representatives of the Czech & Russian hockey federation. You posted an article with a video where Mr Černý blames the Russians. He is the official representative of the Czech hockey federation. Did you see the same statement (blaming Czechs) by the Russian hockey federation guy/PR U20 manager (or Zubov or other coach)? If you read this, feel free to post. All I read is a statement by the FHR where they say something like we will communicate with all responsible (Air Canada, IIHF, other U20 Teams) for cancelled flight. The main reason by Air Canada, the reason why we were not allowed to fly, was the incorrect wearing of the masks, all members of our delegation were wearing the masks, but some incorrectly according to Air Canada.
Well, what did the official Russian representive say? Did anyone ask him? What did Zubov say to Russian Media?

From your links I read he has been a smoker since 14 and he did smoke. From one interview I swear I saw Zubov say he hasn't smoked in 3 years.lol

It's a shitshow... I'm sure the truth is in the middle. Second time for Russia though trying to leave North America after a tourney. Any other nation have this problem? US team in Nagano breaking TV's perhaps.lol

Reactions: Jussi

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Well, what did the official Russian representive say? Did anyone ask him? What did Zubov say to Russian Media?

From your links I read he has been a smoker since 14 and he did smoke. From one interview I swear I saw Zubov say he hasn't smoked in 3 years.lol

It's a shitshow... I'm sure the truth is in the middle. Second time for Russia though trying to leave North America after a tourney. Any other nation have this problem? US team in Nagano breaking TV's perhaps.lol
That is the point, the Russian official representatives did not feel the need to blame others.

Yes, I read it as well that Zubov stopped smoking 3-years ago. I do not know.

Here is what he said after landing in Moscow.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That is the point, the Russian official representatives did not feel the need to blame others.

Yes, I read it as well that Zubov stopped smoking 3-years ago. I do not know.

Here is what he said after landing in Moscow.
It's all kind of funny...

He says he doesn't smoke and others are saying he had a hidden vape in his sleeve.lol

I'm wondering if he's being brilliant because he considers smoking and vaping as 2 different things?

we'll probable know.

See you at the Olympics.. your boys are now big favs with the Finns.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
It's all kind of funny...

He says he doesn't smoke and others are saying he had a hidden vape in his sleeve.lol

I'm wondering if he's being brilliant because he considers smoking and vaping as 2 different things?

we'll probable know.

See you at the Olympics.. your boys are now big favs with the Finns.
Nuorten Leijonien GM kertoo kohulennon tapahtumista – poliisit saapuivat koneelle

Finnish GM here confirming that from his viewpoint it was russians misbehaving and czechs getting mixed up with them.

And czechs getting an apology later on for the mishap.

But i guess it's just an agenda.

Reactions: Jussi and Czechboy

RBbandit

Jan 4, 2020
Nuorten Leijonien GM kertoo kohulennon tapahtumista – poliisit saapuivat koneelle

Finnish GM here confirming that from his viewpoint it was russians misbehaving and czechs getting mixed up with them.

And czechs getting an apology later on for the mishap.

But i guess it's just an agenda.

You are correct Czechs and Finns have agenda to bring down the competition. :) Holly crap this championship is gold from the beginning to the end. Whoever is guilty of misbehaving on the plane, this is just pure gold.

Reactions: Jussi and Czechboy

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
That's great and I'm glad that was the case. The same can't be said for the multiple 30 and 40 year olds we've had to intubate and bring to the ICU... unprecedented before COVID-19. This is, of course, with alpha and delta variants and peri-vaccine introduction. I don't think anyone denies that Omicron appears to be milder on a population level. Whether the sheer number of people infected with it threatens to overwhelm hospitals is a different thing (eg. let's say 1/10th the virulence but 10x as many infections will yield the same result, I simplified it a lot) but positive things out of South Africa so far.

A lot of positive data everywhere, data that would most certainly be even more positive if every individual like myself reported their positive test results/asymptomatic individuals were accounted for in the data.

The new restrictions are absurd, of all the colds/flus I've had over the course of the last half a decade or so, this would rank near the bottom as a borderline, extremely mild cold. My most severe symptom right now is a case of the sniffles. The fact that four positive tests for this cancelled an entire tournament is absolutely mind boggling to me, as I imagine would be the case for just about any individual under 60 in even remotely decent shape.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Think this cancellation was less about COVID and more about what it's always about. With the capacity restrictions and no food and beverage sales the tournament got a lot less profitable. Which is an even worse reason to cancel.

The organizers deserve a lot of blame and hopefully for the sake of this tournament aren't ever allowed anywhere near it again.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I read that Czech version, it is one-sided, all the blame is on Russians. You can read any Russian hockey media (here, here, here) and you will see some differences from the Czech version - Czech players tried to bring a beer to plane, some Czech & Russian players/coaches were drunk, Zubov smoked (he refused it, so I do not know), some Russians & Czechs did not wear their masks correctly, some Finn (looks like not a player) was so drunk he could not even sit. I do not know where the truth is, but the Czech version seems to be so one-sided... finally, Czechs & Russians left the plane due to masks, Finns flied home.

Btw, that Russian articles quoted the Czech version (Otakar Černý) as well. Plus they presented their version as addition.
The claim in the Sport-Express article you linked:

"At the same time, drunken representatives of the delegation were in other teams. According to our information, one of the staff members of the Finnish national team literally could not sit still and fell on his side. Then, forgive me for the details, he vomited under his feet. The Finnish national team also gathered for the exit, but then the Canadian carrier left it on board."

The Finnish team's GM Kimmo Oikarinen rebukes the claim:

"Well no. We were on a plane and the Russian management team was called to its door. It took a while and then came the announcement that the machine was being emptied. We got out of the plane and took the team together. I went to ask what my mood. I was immediately told on behalf of Securitas and Air Canada staff that you have nothing to worry about, you will soon be back on the plane, Oikarinen says.

We were not told anything else at that point. We got back on the plane pretty quickly. Two hours before landing in Frankfurt, the plane's purser personally thanked me for how great a team you have and you can see how professional a hockey team is when you know how to behave and act really well, Oikarinen says."

[From Google Translate but I can't be arsed to clean up the small errors it does. The key parts seem to be correctly translated.]

Source: Nuorten Leijonien GM tyrmää venäläismedian väitteen Suomen osallisuudesta juopottelujupakkaan – "Purseri kävi minua henkilökohtaisesti kiittämässä"

So maybe just leave Finns out of this dispute, even if a Russian sports tabloid made up a detail... Note how elsewhere they refer to sources by name, but this claim about a Finnish staff member barfing in the plane was just "according to our information" there. (Our tabloids are nearly as bad but MTV is a notch above that level. Clickbaity but not making stuff up.)

Reactions: Czechboy and Jussi

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The claim in the Sport-Express article you linked:

"At the same time, drunken representatives of the delegation were in other teams. According to our information, one of the staff members of the Finnish national team literally could not sit still and fell on his side. Then, forgive me for the details, he vomited under his feet. The Finnish national team also gathered for the exit, but then the Canadian carrier left it on board."

The Finnish team's GM Kimmo Oikarinen rebukes the claim:

"Well no. We were on a plane and the Russian management team was called to its door. It took a while and then came the announcement that the machine was being emptied. We got out of the plane and took the team together. I went to ask what my mood. I was immediately told on behalf of Securitas and Air Canada staff that you have nothing to worry about, you will soon be back on the plane, Oikarinen says.

We were not told anything else at that point. We got back on the plane pretty quickly. Two hours before landing in Frankfurt, the plane's purser personally thanked me for how great a team you have and you can see how professional a hockey team is when you know how to behave and act really well, Oikarinen says."

[From Google Translate but I can't be arsed to clean up the small errors it does. The key parts seem to be correctly translated.]

Source: Nuorten Leijonien GM tyrmää venäläismedian väitteen Suomen osallisuudesta juopottelujupakkaan – "Purseri kävi minua henkilökohtaisesti kiittämässä"

So maybe just leave Finns out of this dispute, even if a Russian sports tabloid made up a detail... Note how elsewhere they refer to sources by name, but this claim about a Finnish staff member barfing in the plane was just "according to our information" there. (Our tabloids are nearly as bad but MTV is a notch above that level. Clickbaity but not making stuff up.)

The source was Ponomaryov (forward on Russia). More specifically, he said it was a Finnish player and it occured in the flight waiting area in front of everybody.

Allhockey.ru: Пономарев: игроку финнов стало плохо, он буквально "выдал всё из себя"

Reactions: vorky

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The source was Ponomaryov (forward on Russia). More specifically, he said it was a Finnish player and it occured in the flight waiting area in front of everybody.

Allhockey.ru: Ponomarev: the Finnish player felt bad, he literally "gave everything out of himself"
That's a materially different claim so I doubt Ponomaryov is the source Sport-Express refers to.

And I doubt any passenger (be it player, staff member, or other) throwing up in the waiting area is just let on the plane. Heck, the Corona infections in the teams have just canceled the entire freaking tournament.

So I'll wait for a bit of corroboration for this new version of the story before I believe it.

(The GT rendering:

Striker of the Russian youth team Vasily Ponomarev commented on the story at the Calgary airport. The Russian team (as well as the Czech one) was disembarked from the plane , which was heading for Frankfurt am Main. The media are discussing various versions of what happened, ranging from staff complaints about incorrectly worn medical masks and ending with alcoholic intoxication of hockey players, as well as the coach's smoking in the wrong place.

“I was sitting at the end of the plane, where the flight attendants were sitting. When I boarded the flight, I did not see what was going on there. They ask to leave. Why - I still do not understand. The Russian national team did not have alcohol on board. The Finnish player felt bad? Yes. Only it did not happen on the plane, but in the waiting room. He literally "gave everything out of himself." fact, everyone saw him. ”He was then put back in place.

Of course, it is very unpleasant that this happens. I would not like this to be repeated in the future. If we were unjustly dropped off, I am sure that they will surely figure it out, everything will fall into place and everything will be fine ", Ponomarev said.)

Last edited:

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Hey guys I know I'm late to the party, but does anyone know where I can watch the full length games that actually aired?

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
As (mild) as this shit is. It's f***ing my chest up, gor bronchitis and thats like 3 weeks after positive test.

I think mild isn't the proper term, milder compared to Delta? 1000%

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I hope everyone is okay in the KHL. I also recall a lot of posters blaming 'Canada' and saying this would never happen in their country.

Reactions: Gold Standard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad