2022 World Junior Championship has been cancelled (MOD: Stay on topic)

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Yeah because canada has never cheated before. They do anything to win.

Btw slovakia just trashed wjc in canada calling it a disgrace.

Shame on canada. Your country sucks.
One event goes wrong and suddenly keyboard warriors like this guy spout off. Too many of them in this thread. Plenty of valid criticism to go around, but bashing a country is juvenile (another kiddo added to my block list).

Some of the players comments are justified - others, not so much. For the most part, I'll disregard logistic and event planning criticism from teenagers. I believe most players would have complained about playing in another bubble. Only in hindsight when the event goes wrong, was a bubble was the perfect setup.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
And it only gets worse. Haha! What a waste of time this tournament has been for everybody.

Many Czech players were drunk and having some alcohol with them, also many Russian players were drunk. I do not know why the Czech side presented the story in a way they presented it.

Reactions: wacko2

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
One event goes wrong and suddenly keyboard warriors like this guy spout off. Too many of them in this thread. Plenty of valid criticism to go around, but bashing a country is juvenile (another kiddo added to my block list).

Some of the players comments are justified - others, not so much. For the most part, I'll disregard logistic and event planning criticism from teenagers. I believe most players would have complained about playing in another bubble. Only in hindsight when the event goes wrong, was a bubble was the perfect setup.

We get your patriotism bro but Canada woefully messed this one up. No ifs ands or buts. Whatever helps you sleep at night

Reactions: Anton13 and wacko2

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
A lot of blaming going around but the TEAMS actually decided months ago not to do the bubbles this year because is was too restrictive but when they realized Omicron could be a problem it was too late to change some things like reserve whole hotels.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
A lot of blaming going around but the TEAMS actually decided months ago not to do the bubbles this year because is was too restrictive but when they realized Omicron could be a problem it was too late to change some things like reserve whole hotels.
The Omicron isnt a problem. Its a blessing, obviously. If you get it you play better hockey (as we now have evidence of, lol) and asymptomatic and on top of that a better natural immunity vs. Covid I guess.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I’m so disappointed in literally every single thing that happened in this tourney after the first US game forfeiture.

Sucks for the fans, who really enjoy this hockey, and I *think* are starting to appreciate that these are kids. Sucks for the players who dream about this for years only to get it taken away due to poor administration. Sucks for Russians to have to have it end this way, because I would be super upset too, but also what they did didn’t help anything.

Let’s not make it suck worse by taking out our sadness and frustration on each other. People are at “fault” for this, but it’s not what those people wanted, they just wanted people to be safe.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Many Czech players were drunk and having some alcohol with them, also many Russian players were drunk. I do not know why the Czech side presented the story in a way they presented it.
Junioři si na návrat domů počkají. Kvůli chování Rusů byli vykázáni z letadla

Here is the Czech version which seems to be backed up by everything I've read so far. I have yet to see a tweet or anything saying the Czechs were smoking, drinking and not wwearing masks. However, I am happy to read about them.. can you send a link?

Also, didn't this happen in Buffalo after the Juniors too?

Drunk Russian juniors kicked off flight - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: kovnik

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Actually, when thinking about it how all those countries sent a team to Canada they trusted the Canadian organisers to be able to pull this off. Had they been told that the tournament might have to be cancelled midway would they have bothered to turn up at all for nothing?
Instead of blaming Canada why don't we look at the team that started the spreading of the virus. Obviously they didn't follow covid protocols.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
The fact they can't tell one from another is even more embarrassing. This is definitely poorly organized event start to finish.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
I don't understand why IIHF that is making millions off these tournaments can't hire charters to fly players from Europe to Canada to separate players from other passengers.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Junioři si na návrat domů počkají. Kvůli chování Rusů byli vykázáni z letadla

Here is the Czech version which seems to be backed up by everything I've read so far. I have yet to see a tweet or anything saying the Czechs were smoking, drinking and not wwearing masks. However, I am happy to read about them.. can you send a link?

Also, didn't this happen in Buffalo after the Juniors too?

Drunk Russian juniors kicked off flight - Sportsnet.ca
I read that Czech version, it is one-sided, all the blame is on Russians. You can read any Russian hockey media (here, here, here) and you will see some differences from the Czech version - Czech players tried to bring a beer to plane, some Czech & Russian players/coaches were drunk, Zubov smoked (he refused it, so I do not know), some Russians & Czechs did not wear their masks correctly, some Finn (looks like not a player) was so drunk he could not even sit. I do not know where the truth is, but the Czech version seems to be so one-sided... finally, Czechs & Russians left the plane due to masks, Finns flied home.

Btw, that Russian articles quoted the Czech version (Otakar Černý) as well. Plus they presented their version as addition.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I read that Czech version, it is one-sided, all the blame is on Russians. You can read any Russian hockey media (here, here, here) and you will see some differences from the Czech version - Czech players tried to bring a beer to plane, some Czech & Russian players/coaches were drunk, Zubov smoked (he refused it, so I do not know), some Russians & Czechs did not wear their masks correctly, some Finn (looks like not a player) was so drunk he could not even sit. I do not know where the truth is, but the Czech version seems to be so one-sided... finally, Czechs & Russians left the plane due to masks, Finns flied home.

Btw, that Russian articles quoted the Czech version (Otakar Černý) as well. Plus they presented their version as addition.
Thank you for the links!

Reactions: vorky

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
Seems Sweden's flight was eventful as well (though in a completely different way). A woman collapsed and was kept alive with CPR by the Swedish team doctor, a medical student and a flight attendant for almost an hour before they could make an emergency landing on Iceland. No word on whether the woman made it or not.

Efter uteblivna JVM-festen – dramatik på hemresan

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I don't understand why IIHF that is making millions off these tournaments can't hire charters to fly players from Europe to Canada to separate players from other passengers.
Perhaps Russia could send a well behaved team and then they can fly coach like the other teams. Clearly, they are the victims because they didn't have their own plane where they could do anything they wanted.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Seems Sweden's flight was eventful as well (though in a completely different way). A woman collapsed and was kept alive with CPR by the Swedish team doctor, a medical student and a flight attendant for almost an hour before they could make an emergency landing on Iceland. No word on whether the woman made it or not.

Efter uteblivna JVM-festen – dramatik på hemresan

That is scary. Hopefully the lady is alright. Respect to everyone who participated in helping her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad