GDT: 2022 WJC Gold Medal Game FIN vs CAN 6pm MT, 8pm ET 2022-08-20

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Give it a rest with your soft euroteams and what could happen in the future.

If we play ten best-on-best tournaments Canada takes 10/10. Would it hurt to admit that Canada could roster up 5-8 teams to a tournament and each team would be the favourite to win the whole thing?

What you are saying is that Canada's number 8 team would be the favorite to win over the number one team of USA, Russia, Sweden or Finland... :facepalm:

It's posts like that why this forum is not worth spending much time on.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Great game and battle of two good teams. Congratulations to Canada.

Still I have to say that I don't like 3 vs 3 game in overtime in these kind of tournaments. Why can't we continue to play normal ice hockey after 60 minutes? What is the reason to hurry the end of the game?

It's probably because they don't want the spectators at the arena getting home at 4 AM during the night if there would be multiple OT periods. I agree that 3vs3 is very bad way to end these kind of games. I think that 4on4 should be better, if 5on5 is out of the question.

I'd love to see something like this:

Locker room break after the regular time.

5on5 10 min OT.

No locker room break after that.

4on4 10 min OT.

No locker room break after that.

3on3 20 min OT or 3on3 10 min. Maybe 3on3 for forever if the winner hasn't been found or followed by a shootout if we really want to be sure that the game ends sooner than later. It would be very rare to see a shootout this way anyways.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland still losing (twice) when you consider the Canadian players not on this roster does not bode well for Finland in this rivalry.

With the players missing Canada could two better teams or one monster team.

You are right but also remember Canadian home crowd, North-American sized rink, best tournament schedule (Finland playing Slovakia before the first Canada feeting and Canada resting).

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Looking at it objectively it’s obvious that the 2018 and 2022 Olympics don’t hold the same weight as the 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 Olympics due to the best players in the world from all sides not being there.

World Juniors
Canada - 19 Gold
Finland - 5 Gold

Olympics
Canada - 3 gold best vs best, 9 overall.
Finland - 0 gold best vs best, 1 overall.

WC
Canada - 27 gold
Finland - 4 gold
This. Any discussion is over lol. How is Finland even remotely close? They aren’t @finnish fans have tantrums

Reactions: Samhockey3

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I have to say that Gord Miller always seems at his best in these junior tournaments especially in the more intense games
He’s pretty great, though he can be a bit repetitive on his talking points. He’s certainly an encyclopedia of hockey information and they do sometimes lose focus on the game, but it’s less of a problem when the game is intense (as you mentioned).

Mike Johnson is good as well, though Ray Ferraro would be my first choice for WJC colour man. Craig Button can give you insights from a hockey organization’s perspective, but it’s better to have had an actual player to get the real in-depth insight, such as Ferraro or Johnson.

What are people’s thoughts on the American guys that cover these games or any of the European broadcasting teams?

zimmy61

Aug 17, 2009
Congrats Finland on a game that literally could have gone either way and one I honestly thought we were going to lose once it hit OT. I used to always root for you guys as the underdog anytime Canada got knocked out of a tournament, now I'm terrified when I see your country crossing our path in a bracket.

Reactions: Ippenator

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's meaningless only when Canada loses. Gold is gold and we have more gold so no reason to be mad! I get that you're happy when you finally get something to celebrate after a long year, way to go!
At best, Finland is 5th in terms of overall gold medals in junior hockey championships and 1 gold medal at olympics with 0 nhl players

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
At best, Finland is 5th in terms of overall gold medals in junior hockey championships and 1 gold medal at olympics with 0 nhl players
Yes Ludwig i was talking about this year, obviously Finland isn't even close to overall gold medals. But overall gold medals during the last 10 years looks a bit more interesting, check it out Ludwig.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
What you are saying is that Canada's number 8 team would be the favorite to win over the number one team of USA, Russia, Sweden or Finland... :facepalm:

It's posts like that why this forum is not worth spending much time on.

No not our H team (8 team) I think the furthest down the list we could go where Canada could still beat other countries top teams is our C team realistically, after that it starts getting sketchy.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yes Ludwig i was talking about this year, obviously Finland isn't even close to overall gold medals. But overall gold medals during the last 10 years looks a bit more interesting, check it out Ludwig.
Last 10 years :

Canada -

4 World Junior Gold ('15, '18, '20, '22)
3 World Championships ('15', '16, '20)
1 Best vs Best Olympic Gold ('14)
1 World Cup of Hockey ('16)
Total : 9 Golds all levels.

Finland -

3 World Junior Gold ('14, '16, '19)
2 World Championships ('19, '22)
0 Best vs Best Olympic Golds
0 World Cup of Hockey
Total : 5 Golds all levels.

Canada with 1 gold shy of double. But its obvious that Finland has been the clear cut #2 for the past 10 years.

Reactions: THE JAM

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s pretty great, though he can be a bit repetitive on his talking points. He’s certainly an encyclopedia of hockey information and they do sometimes lose focus on the game, but it’s less of a problem when the game is intense (as you mentioned).

Mike Johnson is good as well, though Ray Ferraro would be my first choice for WJC colour man. Craig Button can give you insights from a hockey organization’s perspective, but it’s better to have had an actual player to get the real in-depth insight, such as Ferraro or Johnson.

What are people’s thoughts on the American guys that cover these games or any of the European broadcasting teams?

I like Ferraro too, good eye and he's got a personality. But Johnson is the most insightful guy with the best eye for the play. There isn't a single analyst in hockey I'd take over him.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Last 10 years :

Canada -

Finland -

0 World Cup of Hockey

Canada with 1 gold shy of double. But its obvious that Finland has been the clear cut #2 for the past 10 years.
Yes again i didn't deny that Canada isn't number one, i just said it looks more interesting as in Finland being clear number 2. In terms of success it's Canada and then Finland quite clearly.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yes again i didn't deny that Canada isn't number one, i just said it looks more interesting as in Finland being clear number 2. In terms of success it's Canada and then Finland quite clearly.
Oh ya Finland is easily the best after Canada, you've been better than Sweden, Russia, Czechs and US for a while now at basically all levels. It always used to be Russia as the opponent in our way, but they seemed to have taken a drop off for a number of years now, so now its been Canada-Finland as the most common final at all levels.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Last 10 years :

Canada -

Finland -

0 World Cup of Hockey

Stop it they can’t handle facts they get too upset. I wouldn’t keep chirping if these guys didn’t say Finland is better per capita lmao

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
But per capita Finland is by far the best hockey nation in the world
I wouldn't say by far, Sweden is up there aswell. But how would team Alberta do (roughly same amount of population)? Think about it.

Again, Canada is the best and nobody is denying that. But Finland and Sweden are doing the best job per capita, although it doesn't matter and it's just necessary for us to be competitive against Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00