GDT: 2022 WJC Gold Medal Game FIN vs CAN 6pm MT, 8pm ET 2022-08-20

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Canada needs to play a physical wave after wave forechecking attack.

The Finns struggled against the speed and aggression of the Canadian forecheck last game and we need more of that.

Stay out of the penalty box and build momentum off our physical attacking style of play.

The best way to neutralize the Finnish “system“ on NA ice is pucks deep and aggressive attack on the forecheck. East-west style play can be neutralized by their defensive shell that they play. As I mentioned, their D struggled last game with Canada’s speed and aggression which I’m hoping to see more of this game.

Should be a fun game. As always to our Finnish friends, looking forward to a fun game. Canadian heart and soul versus Finnish sisu is always a fun time. Two countries that love hockey as much as we do is only fitting that we meet for Gold.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very pessimistic predictions for Finland in this thread. Neither team is loaded by any stretch and there was never a juggernaut in this tournament.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Here I sit stuck in the Halifax international airport, flight back to B.C was delayed, then delayed again, then delayed one more time until they decided to just cut the bullshit and call the whole thing off, now I sit and wait to be chauferred to the ritzy delta marriot in gorgeous Dartmouth (ahem) all on Air Canadas prodigious dime, some food vouchers to boot!! check in is at 3 sharp atlantic time, quick little snooze and then get ready to take those dastardly Finns on full tilt.

If Canada wins tonight I might even break my alcohol fast and sidle up to the bar and say...........Gin and tonic barkeep, and put that on Finlands tab.

Let's go Canucks!!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
By some miracle Finland is in finals - probably thanks to Czechia.

I'd say that Finland has around a 10% chance of winning but hey, you never know what could happen in a single match.
:huh:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Here I sit stuck in the Halifax international airport, flight back to B.C was delayed, then delayed again, then delayed one more time until they decided to just cut the bullshit and call the whole thing off, now I sit and wait to be chauferred to the ritzy delta marriot in gorgeous Dartmouth (ahem) all on Air Canadas prodigious dime, some food vouchers to boot!! check in is at 3 sharp atlantic time, quick little snooze and then get ready to take those dastardly Finns on full tilt.

If Canada wins tonight I might even break my alcohol fast and sidle up to the bar and say...........Gin and tonic barkeep, and put that on Finlands tab.

Let's go Canucks!!

Wonder if some rural Nova Scotians have a trace of a Scottish dialect. I saw a clip of, I think it was people from Newfoundland? they sounded kinda Irish it was interesting.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Wonder if some rural Nova Scotians have a trace of a Scottish dialect. I saw a clip of, I think it was people from Newfoundland? they sounded kinda Irish it was interesting.
They sure do, funny you should mention that, my old high school english teacher happened to pass away when I was here on my vacation, his mother tongue was Gaelic., grew up in a small little community on the Island near Iona
Pretty rare these days to find actual Gaelic speakers in Cape Breton but wasn' t uncommon in his day.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If Finland wins this, Finland becomes the first country in history to win olympics, WHCs and WJC-u20s in the same year.

At least Finland has a solid history in the finals against teams that Finland lost against in the group stage.

Also, Finland is undefeated vs Canada in WJC-u20 finals.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
How could you be mad at a shutout against Canada? That would be considered a master class performance.
I’m always mad after seeing any teams play 1-0 hockey games. Hell, I’m mad even after 2-1 games. I very much dislike ultra defensive hockey. Defence is of course important, but there should be also good balance with the offence. I know that some people can enjoy games that end with scores like 1-0 or 2-1, but unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. I always feel like I completely wasted my time after watching games like that.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I’m always mad after seeing any teams play 1-0 hockey games. Hell, I’m mad even after 2-1 games. I very much dislike ultra defensive hockey. Defence is of course important, but there should be also good balance with the offence. I know that some people can enjoy games that end with scores like 1-0 or 2-1, but unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. I always feel like I completely wasted my time after watching games like that.

That's probably the more popular take. Personally I love the tension of a low scoring game and I grew up being a fan of Brodeur so I always appreciated the art of shutting another team out completely.

I like high scoring games aswell don't get me wrong. The one thing I didn't like about the high scoring in this years Stanley Cup playoffs was that teams would have like a 3 goal lead after one period and you already knew the game was over.

Reactions: Ippenator

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
For pure entertainment value I would have preferred a Canada v USA GMG, but a Canada v Finland matchup will do just fine. If Finland does take it, I'm hoping for more dancing videos from the Finnish PM. She rocks. :thumbu:
Don't expect any videos since no one seems to know this tournament is going on. If Finland wins, this would likely be the first time that essentially no one gathers at public squares to celebrate.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I think it should be a comfortable 5-1 win for Canada but certainly don't expect that to happen with Cameron as coach and it being 17, 18 and 19 year old kids.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
With prospects / age group tournaments, I indeed prefer high scoring games.

However, low scoring games make every goal much more important and impactful. If games are regularly ending like 5-4 or 7-5 then none of the goals really feel all that special. However, if the games are going 1-0 or 2-1 then just one goal could be the game and there's more suspense to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2