Blue Jays GDT: 2022 v13 | PLAYOFFS: Wild Card Rd | Gm #2: Sat, Oct 8 | vs SEA | 4:00pm ET/1:00pm PT | Ray vs Gausman

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Never get too cocky . When I saw that jacket thing and all that dancing I was like oh oh.
Yeah, too much goofing around like a bunch of 12 yr. olds was getting on my nerves sometimes, but I'm ok with the home run jacket

It's good to have some fun in any sport, but you have to know when it's time to get down to business and act like adults

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Jays need that certified OG veteran or veterans that can call out bullshit and take this serious.

Before the back to backs, Jays were choke artists come post season time. Then they spent big money on big game players like a Jack Morris, Dave Stewart, Paul Molitor, , Dave Winfield, traded for a David Cone, Rickey Henderson who knew this is a business to win.

God bless Springer, he tried but he was injured. His big game reputation in the post season was there but not this year.

One of the painful realities of rebuilding a franchise from ground in any sport up is you really have to get through those phenom early years and balance that kind of high flying, brash personality of a team with a real blue collar, get to business focus. City of Toronto can't wait to hand over the keys to the city to those big glamorous offensive producers, but the maturation process is really a whole painful process.

Reactions: CherryToke

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Who do you guys think is in and out next year?
I'd be looking for a new manager ASAP who won't make the same stupid mistakes Schneider made on Saturday, and then part ways with Tapia, Biggio and White.

Then hopefully they can acquire a good late innings lefty relief pitcher, and another good starter (preferably a lefty) ....and be on the lookout for a lights out closer because I'm not sold on Romano as a closer anymore, but he'd be a damn good late innings reliever.

Then tone down all the 12 yr. old goofing around shit, and start acting like adults on a mission to win the World Series.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
First order of business is the catching spot. Ideally you have a starter, and a capable but cheap backup. We have 2 starters and a star prospect. Trading Moreno is easy call if you keep Kirk/Jansen. Otherwise its a wasted asset. I find Kirk's game calling still in question, Moreno is raw still and Jansen the best of the 3. How to balance Kirk/Jansen at same time while keeping the offense up at DH slot. This is a problem against good teams. Not sure I have a solution. But Kirk cannot hit 4th. 50-60 RBIs in a high leverage spot is terrible. He should hit 2nd. But this spot is a difficult one to address.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
First order of business is the catching spot. Ideally you have a starter, and a capable but cheap backup. We have 2 starters and a star prospect. Trading Moreno is easy call if you keep Kirk/Jansen. Otherwise its a wasted asset. I find Kirk's game calling still in question, Moreno is raw still and Jansen the best of the 3. How to balance Kirk/Jansen at same time while keeping the offense up at DH slot. This is a problem against good teams. Not sure I have a solution. But Kirk cannot hit 4th. 50-60 RBIs in a high leverage spot is terrible. He should hit 2nd. But this spot is a difficult one to address.
Kirk is the one to deal IMO, he just had an excellent season and I too have question marks about his defense and game calling, plus I dont have any faith on that body holding up long term while we have a very good catcher in Jansen and a stud prospect in Moreno ready to put in. Kirk would be a great asset to flip to try to add an impact player elsewhere.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kirk is the one to deal IMO, he just had an excellent season and I too have question marks about his defense and game calling, plus I dont have any faith on that body holding up long term while we have a very good catcher in Jansen and a stud prospect in Moreno ready to put in. Kirk would be a great asset to flip to try to add an impact player elsewhere.

Counterpoint could be that it was a career year for Jansen, Kirk is only turning 24 (Jansen is 27), and Jansen has seemingly had more trouble staying healthy than Kirk.

Could come down to which guy has the most value. Jays probably like all three of them.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I do think this team and the core have had their praises sung a bit too much in their time here. Rogers owning both the team and the sports network they play on doesn't help as they're constantly blowing smoke up the teams ass, but also the Jays are the darling team of Canada. Everyone from coast to coast loves the boys of summer, and I'd reckon across Canada they Jays are more popular than the Raptors despite both teams being the only Canadian ones in their respective major leagues (give the Raptors another decade or two and that might change though). So unlike the Leafs, despite playing in the same city, they don't face as much criticism or scrutiny as they probably should. I also never got this arrogant vibe from the Raptors core en route to a Championship, or from the Leafs core despite both them and the Jays score being roughly the same ages. I think the Leafs core going to the playoffs early and often and losing has kept them from being overly confident like the Jays. Plus most of this country and media is just as eager to tear down the Leafs as build them up, whereas building up the Jays is a constant project by Rogers.

The likes of Vladdy, Bo, Lourdes, Kirk, Manoah, and Romano have all been hyped up to no end by Rogers. They've pushed the "this is our year" thing hard, desperate to re-live the 2015-2016 Jays who were exciting, contended, and won in the playoffs and had the whole country behind them and buying merch and jacked up ticket prices. Despite all the propaganda they can't will the Jays into a playoff run, and as such have only two sold out playoff games to show for their effort.

And as far as cockiness goes, maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but I've never cared for how the Jays treat middle of the season wins compared to the Raptors or Leafs. Every bloody time they win at home Vladdy or someone has to come out with the tub of water and soak whoever Hazel or Arash is interviewing. Like come on, it's the middle of July, grow up. I'm not an "I hate fun" guy, the jacket for instance is more than fine, the goofing off in the dugout is fine, but Christ let's save the post-game dunking for wins in actual important games, something this team hasn't managed to do in four tries now. Don't recall the Lowry and DeRozan/Leonard Raptors celebrating every regular season win like this, nor the Leafs, not that they’re examples to hold up for playoff success.
If I could like this post a million times, I would.

Very well said on all fronts.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I'd be looking for a new manager ASAP who won't make the same stupid mistakes Schneider made on Saturday, and then part ways with Tapia, Biggio and White.

Then hopefully they can acquire a good late innings lefty relief pitcher, and another good starter (preferably a lefty) ....and be on the lookout for a lights out closer because I'm not sold on Romano as a closer anymore, but he'd be a damn good late innings reliever.

Then tone down all the 12 yr. old goofing around shit, and start acting like adults on a mission to win the World Series.
Excellent post, I agree with everything you said there, particularly the manager and juvenile behaviour. Romano could still be the closer if we can not find anyone else but ideally our bullpen would be stronger with Romano in the 8th and a solid closer for the ninth.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad