Blue Jays GDT: 2022 v13 | PLAYOFFS: Wild Card Rd | Gm #2: Sat, Oct 8 | vs SEA | 4:00pm ET/1:00pm PT | Ray vs Gausman

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully, management will be aggressive this winter. They will get us more pieces that we need, we win 100 games next year (especially with less division play) and win the East. It should be crystal clear what this team needs going into 2023.

The goal next year is to win the division, so good enough we bypass the damn wild card round.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
1665328714254.png

Reactions: Puckstuff

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Don't overrate Houston. They play in an easy division, Jays play the Yanks & Rays 19 times each. The aggregate year end stats are 100% misleading. In the end, the bullpens and the late game offense was their weakness. Even going back to last season, just seems that the Jays offense dries up against the opposition relievers.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How come young teams like the Cubbies and Astros went from sucking ass to immediately going deep and winning rings? But the Jays have to go through this first?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Horrible loss, but the talent is there. Vladdy had a down year and they still confidently made the playoffs. The wild card play in is a complete and utter crap shoot. Probably wouldn't have needed it if they canned Montoyo sooner. Management should be aggressive this upcoming offseason, realize that everyone's bullpen throws heat and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: ktownhockey

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The cockiness and immaturity on this team is validated by the fact management and coaching thinks it is something harmless and keeps the guys loose and therefore does nothing about it. I cringed a few games ago when Stripling was doing an interview and some idiot team mate put a banana peel on his head. At some point, Atkins should have put a stop to this. We know Schneiders viewpoint, since he is at the other end of the dugout ignoring the shenanigans.

If you really think about it, this team as currently constructed, would have been fodder against a team like Houston. This has spared them and us of the embarassment of having the world see:

-the immaturity and childishness of some on this team
-the glaring holes in our OF defence, bullpen, and SP depth
-the ineptitude of our coaching and manager
Pretty much. I don't mind the HR jacket. In the playoffs it's wierd but alright not a huge deal. Having fun in the club house is fine but man they went over the top. I didn't know about the banana peel thing thats kind of cringy.
The biggest reason for this callapse was management and coaching.
It's kind of ironic Atkins BP strategy imploded in his face in this game. He continues to ignore velocity and it caught up to him. I don't care if the BP did well in the season. It was never a playoff BP. Goes back to his deadline approach. It was terrible. He had a chance to improve areas but decided to go the cheap way.
Schnieder saved all his bad decisions for this series.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Pretty much. I don't mind the HR jacket. In the playoffs it's wierd but alright not a huge deal. Having fun in the club house is fine but man they went over the top. I didn't know about the banana peel thing thats kind of cringy.
It's kind of ironic Atkins BP strategy imploded in his face in this game. He continues to ignore velocity and it caught up to him. I don't care if the BP did well in the season. It was never a playoff BP. Goes back to his deadline approach. It was terrible. He had a chance to improve areas but decided to go the cheap way.
hopefully they dont lose 6 years in a row eh?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
How come young teams like the Cubbies and Astros went from sucking ass to immediately going deep and winning rings? But the Jays have to go through this first?

The Jays need that certified OG veteran or veterans that can call out bullshit and take this serious.

Before the back to backs, Jays were choke artists come post season time. Then they spent big money on big game players like a Jack Morris, Dave Stewart, Paul Molitor, , Dave Winfield, traded for a David Cone, Rickey Henderson who knew this is a business to win.

God bless Springer, he tried but he was injured. His big game reputation in the post season was there but not this year.

Reactions: ryno23

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I agree with you. I thought he had done a good job since taking over from Montoyo. But some of his decisions in this game makes you wonder if we should go forward with him. I mean, taking out a dealing Gausman for any reliever at that point in the game makes you wonder about his baseball acumen. To do it so that the hitter can switch and bat from his stronger side is even more egregious.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Shapiro = Shanahan
Atkins = Dubas
Vladdy = Matthews
Bichette = Marner
Teoscar = Nylander
Springer = Tavares

Culture = Culture

It's uncanny really.

Reactions: paulhiggins

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Shapiro = Shanahan
Atkins = Dubas
Vladdy = Matthews
Bichette = Marner
Teoscar = Nylander
Springer = Tavares

Culture = Culture

It's uncanny really.
How dare you, Marner plays defense and has an IQ in the triple digits. Also, the Leafs have been choking for far longer.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I know there are die hard supporters of this team here who will never agree with me but there is something seriously wrong with the attitude of the team's core. The egos here are beyond huge and the arrogance pours from the TV screen.

There is no denying the talent level but I'm not sure it's going to matter when the team acts like a bunch of frat boys at a party on most days. I don't see playoff success at any point in the future with this core. Too much ego and arrogance and not enough professionalism.
Agree….this was very noticeable. Montoya fueled that attitude a lot and it became entrenched. Schneider didn’t stand much chance in changing that. Can’t have that attitude when learning is important and professionalism brings out the best.

Reactions: MikeK

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

To be fair the Cubs didn’t win a championship in 100+ years and went 60 years making the playoffs 4 times.

Cubs lost in the NLCS in 2015 and won the WS in 2016. Since the WS win they won 4 more playoff games. So they won in year 2 of their window and did nothing much after that.

Houston made the playoffs in 2015 for the first time. They were up 2-1 in the series and in game 4 they scored 3 runs in the bottom up the 7th to go up 6-3. There pen needs 6 outs to advance to the ALCS but after a costly error in the 8th and 2 runs in the 9th, KC scores 6 unanswered runs to win 9-6. Houston loses in game 5 and KC advances to face the Jays in the 2015 ALCS.

Houston misses the playoffs in 2016 and then cheats to win in 2017. So not smooth sailing.

Cubs won in year 2 of their window. Houston won in year 3 of theirs. And the Jays will be entering their 3rd year.

Lot of teams have had heartache;
-Minnesota has made the playoffs 6 times in the last 17 years and lost all of the games they played; 0-15
-Cleveland made the playoffs once in 46 years. And recently after their WS run in 2016, they lost 3 times in the first round. Wasn’t until this year (arguably year 7 of their “window” or possibly a new window entirely they win a round.
-White Sox have made the playoffs 3 times since 2005 and lost in the first round in all of them winning only 3 games and missed the playoffs this year after starting year 1 of a window.
-Rangers made the playoffs 5 times in 20 years. They lost 2 WS (one being in epic fashion that they had in the bag if Nelson Cruz makes the final out). Lost a WC game. Then lost in the bat flip game and got swept by Toronto the following year. That’s heartache too.
-Oakland made the playoffs 6 times in the last 15 years and got bounced in the first round each time. Last 4 appearances they won 1 game.
-Seattle just ended a 20 year drought
-Angels made the playoffs once in the last 10 years with Trout and got swept
-Baltimore made the playoffs 3 times in 24 years. They had a good run in 2014 getting swept in the ALCS and lost in the first round in all the other opportunities
-Yankees last WS was 2009. 2010s is the first decade they didn’t win a WS.
-In their 24 year existence, Tampa lost 2 WS and was bounced in the first round the other 6 times.

-Detroit made the playoffs 5 times in 34 years. Losing in 2 WS. The worst is their last appearance in 2014. They lost in the first round to Baltimore, getting swept when your starters were; Justin Verlander, David Price and Max Scherzer.

Basically in the last 10 years only the Astros and Red Sox had grey sustained success in the AL. And both teams cheated to win their WS; Houston in 2017 and Boston in 2018. And in their other WS years, Boston had many known steroid users. Same goes for the Yankees.

The AL probably didn’t have a legit non cheater WS winner in 10* years.

If you include non WS winners, Tampa and Yankees could be included.

Last edited:

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Wonder if had this series been flipped, meaning we opened on the road in Seattle, would we have done differently? Can you imagine the home pressure the Mariners players would have been facing with the local energy of making the playoffs for the first time in 21 years.... It's pretty much like where the Jays were back in 2015...

I do think the crowd and energy in Toronto during the playoffs do kind of "spook" the players. Just thinking back to 2015, the Jays lost the first two home games against Texas in the ALDS, and thinking that had that been a 3-game series, they would have been sunk right of way.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Makes him much more important to keep for the long haul. All the great teams had guys just like that. Need to have someone to make sure the guys go for a curtain call after two huge homeruns. You see it with almost any good team there's ever been.

Can't have young stars fall out and have in-fighting that comes with everyone being overly anxious and upset all the time. Those teams end up fizzling out.

Good post, 10/10
He’s a heck of cheer leader and can throw ice water with the best of them.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I agree with you. I thought he had done a good job since taking over from Montoyo. But some of his decisions in this game makes you wonder if we should go forward with him. I mean, taking out a dealing Gausman for any reliever at that point in the game makes you wonder about his baseball acumen. To do it so that the hitter can switch and bat from his stronger side is even more egregious.
Yup. If anything Guasman should have been taken out with the bases loaded. Not when he got 2 clutch outs after that. Give him a chance to get out of it.

Reactions: kb and CabanaBoy5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad