Blue Jays GDT: 2022 v13 | PLAYOFFS: Wild Card Rd | Gm #2: Sat, Oct 8 | vs SEA | 4:00pm ET/1:00pm PT | Ray vs Gausman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
i was shouting “ don’t do that” at my TV when Vladdy pushed Teoscar out to take a bow after the second homer. Yes be excited, but the game was far from over. Frankly I was ,ore worried it would be poster material for today.

This team can be fun loving, but they need to get a little more serious. And Bo plays like the hot dog that runs over the girls position in co-Ed softball. He can hit but he’s awful defensively.
I’m not surprised. He’s the cheerleader, that’s his role.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
I don’t know guys. Up 9-5 in the 8th with your two best relievers left. This isn’t on Schneider, Mayza or Tapia.

Had the opportunity and the players couldn’t get it done. Pretty much 4 singles lost you the lead.

Also yesterday, your start mostly shows up, you pen shows up and your defense shows up. But you offense doesn’t.

tonight you starter shows up. Your hitting shows you. Your defense is ok. But the pen doesn’t.

Just terrible timing to lose one element at the worst time.
1. It should've never been 8-5. It was 8-1, momentum is very real. By allowing that hr to Santana it gave the Mariners life and confidence.

2. When you're up 8-1, why is Tapia still in the game? You don't need more runs, you need outs.

3. Why do you pay Gausman $110 million only to pull up before 100 pitches for a guy that inspires no confidence from anybody. Berrios was on the playoff roster to sight-see? He was never starting any of the games in this series, why not put him down in the pen just in case? It was a must win game for the Jays but you'd never know it based on how they played it.

4. I'm all for having fun while playing ball but one of Gurriel or Teo needs to go ASAP. Gurriel mainly...dumb on defence, streaky hitter, wasn't even available this playoffs and has the maturity of a toddler when it comes to serious games. He's one of the older guys on position players and yet he's one of the most immature. At the end of the day, guys like Vladdy, Bo, Kirk, Moreno, Espinal all look at older players like Chapman, Teo and Gurriel. One on hand you have captain serious which is fine, on the other hand, Teo and Gurriel who are never serious other than when they're upset which is a problem bc w the make-up of the team Teo and Gurriel will have more sway and voice with the latin players.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm just here to say that the bullpen didn't take an at bat in game 1. They didn't leave players stranded in game 1.

This team is really poor in many ways. If you compare them to the 90's back to back champion Blue Jays they don't even come close.

Yeah the bullpen is not great at all, but do they deserve all the blame?
The 90’s superstars were baseball players. Can you imagine Alomar putting a jacket on after hitting a HR, in a WC series no less.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I just did the split data search from rotowire and posted his ERA lines above. This honestly changes the discussion on this loss. Santana also confirmed, .265 ba vs lefties, .178 ba vs righties. Of course the argument "he has less power in the situation" has as much to do with facing far fewer left handed pitchers as anything else. The argument also doesn't fly when the bases are loaded and a long single or double could cost you dearly.

If the Jays were playing the stats, I couldn't argue with his decision to go with Mayza. It was late in Gausmans day and data is everything in baseball. Far more relevant than in any major sport.

To not get this matchup right...I don't even know what to say to that observation. It's Baseball 101. No wonder ESPN ripped him.
I called it immediately, dumb move even without the underlying stats. While some were arrogantly cackling in here that it was the right move, it has been proven foolhardy. I can understand if Gausman had had 3 straight hits against him or his splitter was no longer working, but that was not the case. It was a boneheaded move, among many, by an interim, inexperienced manager. To not acknowledge this is foolish. Quite frankly, when placed with his other moves in this game, he does not deserve to have the interim tag removed.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I do think this team and the core have had their praises sung a bit too much in their time here. Rogers owning both the team and the sports network they play on doesn't help as they're constantly blowing smoke up the teams ass, but also the Jays are the darling team of Canada. Everyone from coast to coast loves the boys of summer, and I'd reckon across Canada they Jays are more popular than the Raptors despite both teams being the only Canadian ones in their respective major leagues (give the Raptors another decade or two and that might change though). So unlike the Leafs, despite playing in the same city, they don't face as much criticism or scrutiny as they probably should. I also never got this arrogant vibe from the Raptors core en route to a Championship, or from the Leafs core despite both them and the Jays score being roughly the same ages. I think the Leafs core going to the playoffs early and often and losing has kept them from being overly confident like the Jays. Plus most of this country and media is just as eager to tear down the Leafs as build them up, whereas building up the Jays is a constant project by Rogers.

The likes of Vladdy, Bo, Lourdes, Kirk, Manoah, and Romano have all been hyped up to no end by Rogers. They've pushed the "this is our year" thing hard, desperate to re-live the 2015-2016 Jays who were exciting, contended, and won in the playoffs and had the whole country behind them and buying merch and jacked up ticket prices. Despite all the propaganda they can't will the Jays into a playoff run, and as such have only two sold out playoff games to show for their effort.

And as far as cockiness goes, maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but I've never cared for how the Jays treat middle of the season wins compared to the Raptors or Leafs. Every bloody time they win at home Vladdy or someone has to come out with the tub of water and soak whoever Hazel or Arash is interviewing. Like come on, it's the middle of July, grow up. I'm not an "I hate fun" guy, the jacket for instance is more than fine, the goofing off in the dugout is fine, but Christ let's save the post-game dunking for wins in actual important games, something this team hasn't managed to do in four tries now. Don't recall the Lowry and DeRozan/Leonard Raptors celebrating every regular season win like this, nor the Leafs, not that they’re examples to hold up for playoff success.
Thank you. This might be the post of the year right here. I could even talk about the way how Atkins is treated compared to Dubas but thats a different topic all together.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Thank you. This might be the post of the year right here. I could even talk about the way how Atkins is treated compared to Dubas but thats a different topic all together.
The cockiness and immaturity on this team is validated by the fact management and coaching thinks it is something harmless and keeps the guys loose and therefore does nothing about it. I cringed a few games ago when Stripling was doing an interview and some idiot team mate put a banana peel on his head. At some point, Atkins should have put a stop to this. We know Schneiders viewpoint, since he is at the other end of the dugout ignoring the shenanigans.

If you really think about it, this team as currently constructed, would have been fodder against a team like Houston. This has spared them and us of the embarassment of having the world see:

-the immaturity and childishness of some on this team
-the glaring holes in our OF defence, bullpen, and SP depth
-the ineptitude of our coaching and manager

Last edited:

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
1665322208718.png

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Even though
Atkins and Dubas shouldn't be compared in regards to treatment.

1. Dubas inherited Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Andersen and Rielly. Atkins literally only inherited 16 year old Vladdy Jr and an old core that was regressing fast.

2. Dubas already capped out his roster which is why the Leafs can't upgrade their needs like they need to. The Jays haven't gotten to that point yet, they still have a significant amount of money they can spend to upgrade their roster before they "max out".

3. If Atkins at the end of next year (when Vladdy only has 2 years left) still has no playoff success, then sure you can say he's been as bad as Dubas right now (Matthews has 2 years left).

4. Atkins has actually built sustainable playoff teams before coming to Toronto (his Cleveland teams were dominant considering how little resources they had compared to other contenders) Dubas only has exp with OHL teams.

5. After Matthews, Marner and Nylander made the jump to the NHL, the prospect pool has not returned an elite prospect let alone a star player. Leaf fans save me the talk about Knies...what you'll learn the hard way is he's a medium size fish in a small ass pond (that being the leaf farm system). Atkins system has the top prospect in all of baseball along with numerous other top 100's and this is years after Bo, Vladdy and co came up.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Blaming the team for having fun and cheering for each other is such a ridiculous argument. Seattles bullpen is apparently really good, but we hit them as well. They simply strung more hits together when it mattered. This is still a very good team that needs a few adjustments.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Blaming the team for having fun and cheering for each other is such a ridiculous argument. Seattles bullpen is apparently really good, but we hit them as well. They simply strung more hits together when it mattered. This is still a very good team that needs a few adjustments.
Im all for cheering for each other and having fun in the dugout, but some on this team take it too far and lack professionalism. The fact they have some good pieces further accentuates the need for change in their demeanour and how they approach the game mentally. Gatorade baths every win, putting edibles on their heads, slapping the back of the head of players, etc are all symptomatic of a team not yet ready to succeed.

Yesterdays game was more than the other team stringing more hits together. Glaring mistakes by players on the field and managerial decisions exacerbated an incomprehensible collapse that has only once been surpassed in baseball playoff history. Do not minimize how disastrous and disappointing this game was. Yeah, we have a good team, and adjustments have to be made to personnel and to the attitude of some on this team.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
It was 8-1. f***ing idiots.

God knows the Leafs will find a way to top that choke this year, as they cant be outdone.

Good riddance, Toronto sports man.

Reactions: Anthrax442

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The 90’s superstars were baseball players. Can you imagine Alomar putting a jacket on after hitting a HR, in a WC series no less.
You do know the Mariners put on a dumb helmet after ever HR they hit against us right? We didn't lose the series because of the damn jacket lol every team in baseball has a "thing" now after a home run we aren't unique and the moaning about it is just more annoying then the actual jacket itself now.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
I’m not surprised. He’s the cheerleader, that’s his role.

Makes him much more important to keep for the long haul. All the great teams had guys just like that. Need to have someone to make sure the guys go for a curtain call after two huge homeruns. You see it with almost any good team there's ever been.

Can't have young stars fall out and have in-fighting that comes with everyone being overly anxious and upset all the time. Those teams end up fizzling out.

Good post, 10/10

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
To accentuate how incomprehensible this loss was, Seattle was the first team in playoff history to come back from being down by 7 on the road. Mind blowing how they allowed this to happen? There better be repercussions.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To accentuate how incomprehensible this loss was, Seattle was the first team in playoff history to come back from being down by 7 on the road. Mind blowing how they allowed this to happen? There better be repercussions.

Run prevention should the key theme for this off-season. We need to get better at that. Bullpen has to get deeper.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I do think this team and the core have had their praises sung a bit too much in their time here. Rogers owning both the team and the sports network they play on doesn't help as they're constantly blowing smoke up the teams ass, but also the Jays are the darling team of Canada. Everyone from coast to coast loves the boys of summer, and I'd reckon across Canada they Jays are more popular than the Raptors despite both teams being the only Canadian ones in their respective major leagues (give the Raptors another decade or two and that might change though). So unlike the Leafs, despite playing in the same city, they don't face as much criticism or scrutiny as they probably should. I also never got this arrogant vibe from the Raptors core en route to a Championship, or from the Leafs core despite both them and the Jays score being roughly the same ages. I think the Leafs core going to the playoffs early and often and losing has kept them from being overly confident like the Jays. Plus most of this country and media is just as eager to tear down the Leafs as build them up, whereas building up the Jays is a constant project by Rogers.

The likes of Vladdy, Bo, Lourdes, Kirk, Manoah, and Romano have all been hyped up to no end by Rogers. They've pushed the "this is our year" thing hard, desperate to re-live the 2015-2016 Jays who were exciting, contended, and won in the playoffs and had the whole country behind them and buying merch and jacked up ticket prices. Despite all the propaganda they can't will the Jays into a playoff run, and as such have only two sold out playoff games to show for their effort.

And as far as cockiness goes, maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but I've never cared for how the Jays treat middle of the season wins compared to the Raptors or Leafs. Every bloody time they win at home Vladdy or someone has to come out with the tub of water and soak whoever Hazel or Arash is interviewing. Like come on, it's the middle of July, grow up. I'm not an "I hate fun" guy, the jacket for instance is more than fine, the goofing off in the dugout is fine, but Christ let's save the post-game dunking for wins in actual important games, something this team hasn't managed to do in four tries now. Don't recall the Lowry and DeRozan/Leonard Raptors celebrating every regular season win like this, nor the Leafs, not that they’re examples to hold up for playoff success.
IMO Rogers shoving the Jays down Canada's throat hurts them. I equate to wrestling, when they push a guy as champ so much that fans turn on him. They built up this team as if they were the best in baseball. Tune into Sportsnet Central and there never is any in depth talk about any other MLB team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hopefully, management will be aggressive this winter. They will get us more pieces that we need, we win 100 games next year (especially with less division play) and win the East. It should be crystal clear what this team needs going into 2023.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Guys for the love of all things good. That loss was absolutely brutal and we are all pissed about. But please I beg you leave the leafs garbage out of here. We aren’t all leafs fan and there are plenty of places to complain about them elsewhere. That stuff makes this thread even harder to read

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
You don't pull your horse starter that early with a huge lead for an average reliever. Ever. This would never happen 20+ years ago. These days, mediocre statisticians in sports are simply a disaster. They seem to follow a pre-determined strategy for pitching changes and don't deviate. Obviously Seattle got a couple of cheap hits but thats what making contact instead of striking out allows. This loss is on Schneider.

Next season, you need to have a high strikeout RP for 7th/8th. Pearson could be that guy but he's unreliable. They really need to make 1 or 2 trades. Unfortunately the biggest obstacle for this team is the division they play in. Making it out of AL East is extremely difficult.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad