Speculation: 2022 Trade Deadline Targets

Biggest need at the TDL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Need to look at pure rentals for the bottom 6 and to be honest moving Joseph, Katchok, Raddyish is acceptable. However if you can get by moving a pick even better. The cap accumulated missing Kuch alone already should cover any cap issue as long it is a pure rental.
One thing ng that must be addressed is depth goaltending. That's a no brained and will probably be addressed in the off-season. If Vasi goes down it's a crap shoot right now. Yes our top six are back but having to score 5 or 6 a night to cover for these AHL tenders is untenable. The Defense is fine the top six fine and Perry, Maroon and Bellmare are fine the other three do not provide much. All in all really good shape but a twerk can be done to be better.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I'm not overrating or underestimating anything. I know it would cost a lot to get Severson with the retention, and I already said there would be more than a few teams interested(hence why Tampa might lose the bidding war). I could see Tampa offering Foote, 1st and one additional smaller piece, and if that wasn't enough, oh well, so be it. While Tampa doesn't have any perceived "blue chip" prospects at the moment perhaps, they still have assets that could be used to complete a trade.

Savard was ranked by more than a few analysts and experts as the clear #1 ufa target at his position last deadline. At least Tampa, Winnipeg, and one other team were in on him, and JBB did what he had to in order to get him. The fact that he took a pay cut the following season with a different team has nothing to do with his value at the prior deadline.

Additionally, the fact that Severson is due a raise also means little to my argument, as acquiring him now is meant for giving the team the best roster possible for 2 seasons. Whether the team can re-sign him after the '22-'23 season is secondary to improving the team now. Most likely Brisebois goes after a dman with term that may be cheaper depth, or just another ufa addition, but Severson would be a good, albeit expensive add.

You don't seem to understand valuation. Because you read an expert thought Savard was the best player at his position doesn't set the market for him. The fact that he took a paycut to keep playing shows how GMs actually value the skills he brings to a team. Same deal with Severson, although he's going to get a raise -- that tells us what GM's think he brings to the team. Not some expert ranking of players.

And still you're not properly valuing the full extra year double retention.

I gave you another benchmark to go by. Severson for 1.5 years at $1m per is definitely more valuable/costly to acquire than Coleman for 1.5 years at $1.8m per. Yet you think we can get Severson for less (a first and Cal Foote) than what we paid for Coleman (a first and Nolan Foote). If you don't see that disconnect, I don't know how to help you.

We've already traded away this year's 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounder and next year's 2nd rounder. The prospect cupboard is bare. As I said originally and continue to say, it's unlikely we have the assets to get Severson on double retention.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
in a shocking development even to me, based up my historically dunking on him as often as possible, i have to post to say that rutta is playing the best hockey of his career and it's hard to imagine that any bargain bin RHD replacement we could afford would be better suited to playing in our system as a replacement.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You don't seem to understand valuation. Because you read an expert thought Savard was the best player at his position doesn't set the market for him. The fact that he took a paycut to keep playing shows how GMs actually value the skills he brings to a team. Same deal with Severson, although he's going to get a raise -- that tells us what GM's think he brings to the team. Not some expert ranking of players.

And still you're not properly valuing the full extra year double retention.

I gave you another benchmark to go by. Severson for 1.5 years at $1m per is definitely more valuable/costly to acquire than Coleman for 1.5 years at $1.8m per. Yet you think we can get Severson for less (a first and Cal Foote) than what we paid for Coleman (a first and Nolan Foote). If you don't see that disconnect, I don't know how to help you.

We've already traded away this year's 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounder and next year's 2nd rounder. The prospect cupboard is bare. As I said originally and continue to say, it's unlikely we have the assets to get Severson on double retention.

I understand fine, and I’m done discussing it with you, thanks. To be clear, it wasn’t “an expert” on Savard, it was basically every analyst out there putting him at the top of last year’s ufa class in terms of RD. His valuation at that time meant nothing to what his hypothetical valuation was going to be 4 or 5 months later, as the situation was considerably different. If you don’t get that, not sure what else to say. Unless you’re a GM or have inside knowledge, I’ll value what those who have some inside sources and do this day in and day out have to say over a random forum poster in terms of player valuation.

I have also said numerous times that Tampa could offer a 1st+Foote+smaller piece, and if that’s not enough, oh well. The double retention would also likely require 2 picks or pick+prospect, but Tampa can pay that and potentially recoup some assets in other trades that may have to happen sooner rather than later. I never said Severson was a likely add, but would be a good target. Please continue to post the same things for the 4th time if you’d like, but I’m done responding to you about it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We don't really need to upgrade the defense. Bogosian has been fine when healthy and Rutta is doing a lot better these days. If you're gonna make any moves on defense then deal Sergachev for magic beans or a clear upgrade. For whatever reason people still think he's gonna turn into Cale Makar and we just need to be patient. It's over 300 career games and 2 Cup wins. We've BEEN patient.

Reactions: Stammertime91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They were aggressive in the last couple deadlines. I didn't think we would land Savard last year but it turned out to happen and help out at d in the playoffs. He wasn't as big of an acquisition as Coleman and Goodrow turned out to be but it was a big move. I think we got him more so so other teams couldn't grab him. Could see more moves like that not necessarily on d but just things we add to help add to already strong team. Really as long as our d, goaltending and top end is productive we are tough to beat in the playoffs. Strengthen any of those and will be real tough to beat come playoffs.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
The once well stocked cupboard is getting pretty bare. Having to share an affiliate with Florida last season should have been a wake up call that there is not a lot in the pipeline, but this talk of continuing to trade picks shows that did not happen. But hey, live for today and let the next generation of Lightning fans worry about the future.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah I’m not against standing pat and go with what we’ve got. Unless it’s a bargain and clear cut upgrade or we have another LTIR situation on our hands. Keeping some draft picks for a change wouldn’t be the worst thing going forward. Selling the future for immediate success has to stop at some point.

On the other hand we’ve been pretty successful in acquiring solid and long term pieces via trade and free agency and our likely low draft picks due to our position in the standings at season’s end sure won’t land us the next Hedmans or Stamkos’ out there. I’m glad I’m just a fan and not GM I guess.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
The once well stocked cupboard is getting pretty bare. Having to share an affiliate with Florida last season should have been a wake up call that there is not a lot in the pipeline, but this talk of continuing to trade picks shows that did not happen. But hey, live for today and let the next generation of Lightning fans worry about the future.

Count me in the camp of “Go with what you got”.

At some point soon we need to start having all picks in all rounds. Especially ‘23.

IMO we’re one more rotation up from having nothing in the pipeline

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm of the same mindset as last year. If there's an opportunity to make the team better and we have to give up prospects/picks, we should go for it. Next year Point's extension kicks in and we lose Palat. Who knows what happens when Cirelli/Sergachev are up. This could be our best shot at winning for a couple years. It's going to be difficult to pull off with our cap situation though.

I understand not wanting to end up like Chicago, LA, or even Pittsburgh. We eventually have to generate depth from within to support the core, and nobody wants to waste prime years of Kucherov, Point, Hedman, and Vasy with a retool. But if we win the three-peat, it would all be worth losing a first round pick who might not even pan out.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think Chychrun and Crouse are on the table for us as long as a 1st, Joseph, Sergachev and maybe a guy like Fortier are.

If you're that damn worried about the defense then look at where the weakness is. It's not McDonagh and Hedman. It's sure as shit not Cernak. Bogosian and Rutta are exactly what we pay them for and it's worked for years with Rutta. Foote is a bottom pairing guy who probably needs as much time as we can give him to improve. I'm not hating on him on purpose. I f***ing love Serg's swagger but if we have needs on defense it comes from the fact we still can't f***ing count on him. Hedman-Rutta, McDonagh-Cernak, Chychrun-Bogosian, Foote is a 7th defender. Palat walks next year as a UFA and we sign a guy like Pavelski or Kessel for pennies on the dollar because they're Cup chasing and they ought to know damn well who gets paid around here and why.

If you're going to improve then ACTUALLY do it like we did with Coleman and Goodrow

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I understand fine, and I’m done discussing it with you, thanks. To be clear, it wasn’t “an expert” on Savard, it was basically every analyst out there putting him at the top of last year’s ufa class in terms of RD. His valuation at that time meant nothing to what his hypothetical valuation was going to be 4 or 5 months later, as the situation was considerably different. If you don’t get that, not sure what else to say. Unless you’re a GM or have inside knowledge, I’ll value what those who have some inside sources and do this day in and day out have to say over a random forum poster in terms of player valuation.

I have also said numerous times that Tampa could offer a 1st+Foote+smaller piece, and if that’s not enough, oh well. The double retention would also likely require 2 picks or pick+prospect, but Tampa can pay that and potentially recoup some assets in other trades that may have to happen sooner rather than later. I never said Severson was a likely add, but would be a good target. Please continue to post the same things for the 4th time if you’d like, but I’m done responding to you about it.

Again, topping whatever experts' lists doesn't tell you what a guy is worth. Those lists consist of their estimates, and are limited to guys who their teams are willing to part with. It could be the case (and was the case) that there simply was no one available who was high-value like Severson. What is complicated about this? g to part with doesn't make a guy valuable. I mean, I could offer you your choice of any car at the Copher U-Pull-It junkyard -- are you gonna pay top dollar simply because you get the "best" car on the list?

We can see what the league thought of him by what they were willing to actually pay him, immediately thereafter. Unless you're saying that he was such a bust with us that he killed his value during the playoffs.

Severson at a $1m cap hit would cost us a good bit more than Coleman did. It is very unlikely we could scrape that together.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I'm of the same mindset as last year. If there's an opportunity to make the team better and we have to give up prospects/picks, we should go for it. Next year Point's extension kicks in and we lose Palat. Who knows what happens when Cirelli/Sergachev are up. This could be our best shot at winning for a couple years. It's going to be difficult to pull off with our cap situation though.

I understand not wanting to end up like Chicago, LA, or even Pittsburgh. We eventually have to generate depth from within to support the core, and nobody wants to waste prime years of Kucherov, Point, Hedman, and Vasy with a retool. But if we win the three-peat, it would all be worth losing a first round pick who might not even pan out.

The problem is, if we don't three-peat after having dealt more of the future away, at what point does that turn around and bite us hard where we sit?
In addition, if the pipeline does dry up and the team falls flat, do we blame the Coach and let him go, when he is the one who is stuck having to deal with the hand he is dealt?
I realize we could go on all day with the "What ifs", but sooner or later, the organization and the fans are going to have to start to realize that may well be happening far sooner than any of us had hoped.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
in a shocking development even to me, based up my historically dunking on him as often as possible, i have to post to say that rutta is playing the best hockey of his career and it's hard to imagine that any bargain bin RHD replacement we could afford would be better suited to playing in our system as a replacement.
More than likely our trade deadline will becoming of the IR like McD or anyone else that gets hurt.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
i notice JBB will part with draft picks but not roster players or prospects we currently have
And that is a questionable move. Like was said before the cupboard is bare. The kids that we have had up really do not have potential to replace the top 6 which will have to be done eventually. JBB needs to be drafting smart or he could find hissself in a position of a suckage when Kuch, Stammer, Palat, Killorn, Point retire or move on. Even though Point is not going to be 30 until 26 and should be the last to go its not all that far away to be developing his replacement and there are crickets chirping in Syracuse.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
And that is a questionable move. Like was said before the cupboard is bare. The kids that we have had up really do not have potential to replace the top 6 which will have to be done eventually. JBB needs to be drafting smart or he could find hissself in a position of a suckage when Kuch, Stammer, Palat, Killorn, Point retire or move on. Even though Point is not going to be 30 until 26 and should be the last to go its not all that far away to be developing his replacement and there are crickets chirping in Syracuse.
Syracuse should be getting some guys next year. Sammy Walker, Declan McDonnell, Jack Thompson, Jaydon Dureau, Jack Finley, Nick Perbix & Cole Guttman.

There's also the options of bringing in Eamon Powell, Alex Gagne, McKade Webster, Nick Capone, & Max Crozier, but at least on the stat line, I'd like to see more.

TB does pretty well with 7th round picks. Huutanen is above a ppg at 18 y.o., Walker, & McDonnell.

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
Syracuse should be getting some guys next year. Sammy Walker, Declan McDonnell, Jack Thompson, Jaydon Dureau, Jack Finley, Nick Perbix & Cole Guttman.

There's also the options of bringing in Eamon Powell, Alex Gagne, McKade Webster, Nick Capone, & Max Crozier, but at least on the stat line, I'd like to see more.

TB does pretty well with 7th round picks. Huutanen is above a ppg at 18 y.o., Walker, & McDonnell.
Really hope we do end up signing Walker and he doesn't walk out from our rights on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad