Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd be fine with making a run at Dylan Strome. Essentially an upgrade over Roslovic
He's not. Roslovic has at least shown flashes of being capable in some defensive-like roles, like the PK. Neither Strome can do even that much.

Seriously, if we go for either Strome brother during free agency, so much goodwill I was feeling from the draft is going to shrivel and die. Friends Don't Let Friends Acquire stromes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Copp or Trocheck would be okay but only if we're sending Sillinger down. We don't have the offensive minutes to add another center like that without knocking someone else out of the lineup.

I also have my doubts about Malkin. He'd make some nice highlights but mostly frustration, and that's not what we need. We have enough fancy boys, we need someone who has energy and can drive play.

Which brings me back to Nazem Kadri. I know he's old too but I really think this guy has #1C talent and he doesn't look like he's slowed down one bit. It would have to be a shorter deal (nothing 4+ years) but I would throw money at him for a 2-3 year compact.

And forget position - you have to make a big bid on Johnny Gaudreau. There's a decent chance that none of our young players will ever be as good as he is. Or maybe KJ will become as good as he is, after learning from his childhood favorite himself.

You just know at his age Kadri is not looking at a short term deal.

& as great as Gaudreau is he could have the same affect on contracts as Tavares had in Toronto

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Probably but we're in a position to throw a lot of short term money at a guy and invite him to bet on himself.

Would you bet at his age?

Who’s going to offer him the same money when he’s 34-35?

Rumours have it that NY teams will be aggressive for him

Reactions: Halberdier

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Copp or Trocheck would be okay but only if we're sending Sillinger down. We don't have the offensive minutes to add another center like that without knocking someone else out of the lineup.

I also have my doubts about Malkin. He'd make some nice highlights but mostly frustration, and that's not what we need. We have enough fancy boys, we need someone who has energy and can drive play.

Which brings me back to Nazem Kadri. I know he's old too but I really think this guy has #1C talent and he doesn't look like he's slowed down one bit. It would have to be a shorter deal (nothing 4+ years) but I would throw money at him for a 2-3 year compact.

And forget position - you have to make a big bid on Johnny Gaudreau. There's a decent chance that none of our young players will ever be as good as he is. Or maybe KJ will become as good as he is, after learning from his childhood favorite himself.
Copp/Jenner (one of them would play winger), Roslovic, Sillinger, Kuraly. To wingers, we must trade two minimum.

Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Copp/Jenner (one of them would play winger), Roslovic, Sillinger, Kuraly. To wingers, we must trade two minimum.

Signing a 2C so we can slide a 2C to the wing is about the same as signing a winger. I doubt it is going to justify the cost - Copp is probably looking for something like a 5 or 6 year deal, we should avoid that.

Reactions: Cowumbus

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@majormajor Napríklad:

Voráček -- Jenner -- Laine
Copp -- Roslovic -- Bjorkstrand
Johnson -- Sillinger -- Chinakhov
Texier -- Kuraly -- Bemstrom

Aj keď Tex/Bemmer alebo všetko môže byť súčasťou obchodu, podobne ako Nyquist (netešil by som sa, ale...). Takže, nezabudni, že Jarmo chce na súpisku posilu. Okrem toho, ak naozaj chce D. Stromea, myslíš si, že je to niečo iné?

Do PO:
naši mladí chlapci budú tiež starší a skúsenejší.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would I? No, I went sharply downhill around age 34. :laugh:

But some people have a lot of faith in themselves.

He’s rumoured to get a contract with 8.x aav today.
This is his 1st and only 1C worthy season(playing on a monster offensive team) and I can’t see him getting ever a better offer than that.

Malkin at 35y took 6.1M and he’s a legend in the game

I’m really curious to see what Jarmo wants to do today, I can’t see him just do nothing.

Lot of rumours on top guys still getting paid but the secondary having to settle for more team friendly contracts.
So guys like Copp/Strome/Palat/Marchment, what are they going to get and who’s Jarmo after.
Burakovsky will also enter the market at 27y, I highly doubt he’d be a team friendly contract but he’s one to look at as well.

Or after McDonagh and Chychrun rumours could he pay for Leddy as a veteran Dman

Last edited:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think it’s clear Jarmo wants to add something on the backend and will find a piece there — hopefully one with size and some snarl.

I could certainly see a quantity for quality type trade or guys moved for futures to trim down the logjam at wing.

Other than that and getting Laine signed I think it will be quiet and the team will roll with what we have which I’m perfectly fine with.

Guys like Gaudreau are not coming here.

It’s not a tank (before Visqi spontaneously combusts) but the best thing in my mind is we play hard but still finish low in the standings and add one more really high end offensive prospect (preferably a center) which the 2023 draft appears to be stacked with (if you go by Pronman’s early rankings — only 2 D in his top 23). Would also like to see them add another 2023 first.

Let guys like Jiricek, Ceulemans, Mateychuck bake for another year and then re-evaluate next year.

This team will really start turning the corner when guys like Johnson, Sillinger, Jiricek, Mateychuck, Ceulemans, Marchenko, Tarasov and whomever we get in 2023 become core players in this lineup in addition to Werenski, Laine, Bjorkstrand, Jenner, and Elvis.

We are not a free agent destination and must restart/reload/re-whatever through the draft. They’ve done a good job of that the last two years and need to continue to do so. Stay the course << this is where I think JD adds the most value as he knows there are no shortcuts.

The team will tell everyone (including UFAs) when it’s ready to be supplemented by some high end external pieces and even then it will be a challenge to attract the top of the class guys. Regardless, that time is not now.

Last edited:

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Not just that. Weegar was pretty awful defensively and cost practically a goal or two with clear mistakes every game. I wouldn’t want him in Columbus.

I recall a game they lost with virtually no time left where he got out of position behind the net leaving the front open for the winning goal. Yeah that was pretty awful, I will agree.

Reactions: Ippenator

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thank you all for the discussion throughout the months. I'm sure itll be an exciting day today where we get to add a few new faces one way or another. But like for the draft, we'll keep things clean and start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad