NINO NIEDERREITER could plan
V. NICHUSHKIN
Ben Chiarot

Please please come here
FILIP FORSBERG

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Valeri Nichushkin would be great but he`s UFA after the season and what is important, Colorado would never trade him.
I like Ilya Mikheev too but it`s similar case.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How many do we really need? I wouldnt want to fill up the depth chart too much with kids starting to push for time. I could see one, maybe two signings. We dont really need wingers but were also not in a position where we should overpay for a center on the backhalf of his prime. Jarmo learned his lesson on Horton, doubt we see another BIG free agent signing. Imagine we'll pick up some depth, but if we acquire a top center, I imagine it would be through trade.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
You make your bid on Gaudreau and Filip Forsberg, and if they don't come they don't come.

Little to no interest on the rest. They'll almost all be overpaid.
I'll add Hertl to this list. Forsberg would be my 1st target, then Gaudreau, and then Hertl.

While I'm dreaming, after striking out on those 3, I'll make an offer on Hampus Lindholm.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'll add Hertl to this list. Forsberg would be my 1st target, then Gaudreau, and then Hertl.

While I'm dreaming, after striking out on those 3, I'll make an offer on Hampus Lindholm.
Forsberg, Gaudreau and Hertl are unreal IMHO because Columbus isn't a team where they would want to play. I don't understand why Columbus and Ohio are so underrated.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I wouldn't want any from that list. It will take massive overpayment (which doesn't necessarily concern me) and massive term (which concerns the Hell out of me). I mentioned this in another thread, the three free agents I'd be most interested in are Old Guy Centers- Giroux, Malkin, Bergeron. I'm looking for an established Vet that can center the top line for the next 1-3 years to let the kids grow up a little without facing the other team's top lines or being forced to produce at a top line level. Giroux interests me the most- he's a playmaker, younger than the others, and is ELITE in the faceoff circle. That seems like a perfect fit for Laine. I also think an "Old Guy" is far more likely to sign as a UFA in Columbus than a younger guy. Is it going to take $10m+ to sign any of these guys? Maybe, but I'm OK with that. We have the perfect combination of cap space and an available spot on the top line open next to a guy who could score 40 goals. This would also give us tremendous opportunity to move Jake around wherever he's most useful- top line with Laine and Giroux or move him down to help out the kids.

I don't know what Phila, Pittsburgh, or Boston are going to do with their aging vets, but I don't think any of them can afford $10m x 3. We can do that and it positions us perfectly for three years from now when our kids will start needing RFA deals. I don't know whom else we'd be bidding against. Who has enough cap space, needs a top line center, has an elite winger, is on the rise up not the way down, and is willing to take a chance on an aging vet?

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Laine-Sillinger-Voracek
Johnson-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist/Domi-Roslovic-Marchenko
Robinson-Kuraly-Texier
Bemstrom/Chinkahov
Werenski-Peeke
Gavirkov-Boqvist
Bean-Christiansen?
Merzlikins
Tarasov

Some decisions to be made on Laine, Nyquist, Domi, Roslovic. It sounds like Johnson and Marchenko will be both at least be in camp next fall. That could muddy the waters a bit for Bemstrom and Chinakhov, to say nothing of Foudy, TFW, etc.

So, to me, unless they unload 3 of those 4 forwards I mentioned, I don't see them swinging big on a forward. It's time to let those young guys take the reins. I suppose you could make a run at Forsberg if you move on from Laine, since their skill sets are somewhat the same. Maybe make an offer to Ryan Strome if you don't think Johnson is ready at center, and you don't want Roslovic/Domi/Texier (if any are still on the roster) as a middle six C.

It seems like Kukan is gone (either at the TDL or walking in FA). They've got 5 guys who should be fairly locked in - Werenski, Gavrikov, Bean, Boqvist (RFA), and Peeke. Who are the Ds #6-10? Bayreuther, I assume, takes over the Harrington role as the 8th or 9th D who they don't really want to pay NHL money to for AHL time. Do they move on from Carlsson? He's 25 and mostly a bust for his draft status. The team also has Christansen, Berni, Knazko possibly, Svozil possibly, Bjorgvik Holm possibly, and then a several unsigned guys...Ceulemans (probably one more year in college), Hjorth, Johannesson, Makarov, and Richard. Put another way...if they think they're too thin from Ds #6-8ish, I could see them letting Kukan, Harrington, and Carlsson walk and filling in with Christansen, (insert a prospect from the previous sentence), and then offering a vet a 1-2 year deal under $1.5m AAV. I think the top 4 leaves something to be desired, but this isn't the offseason to go about filling it via FA. Not sure Anaheim can keep both Lindholm and Manson, but it'll cost a lot to get either one.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Laine-Sillinger-Voracek
Robinson-Kuraly-Texier
Bemstrom/Chinkahov
Werenski-Peeke
Gavirkov-Boqvist
Bean-Christiansen?
Merzlikins
Tarasov

Some decisions to be made on Laine, Nyquist, Domi, Roslovic. It sounds like Johnson and Marchenko will be both at least be in camp next fall. That could muddy the waters a bit for Bemstrom and Chinakhov, to say nothing of Foudy, TFW, etc.

So, to me, unless they unload 3 of those 4 forwards I mentioned, I don't see them swinging big on a forward. It's time to let those young guys take the reins. I suppose you could make a run at Forsberg if you move on from Laine, since their skill sets are somewhat the same. Maybe make an offer to Ryan Strome if you don't think Johnson is ready at center, and you don't want Roslovic/Domi/Texier (if any are still on the roster) as a middle six C.

It seems like Kukan is gone (either at the TDL or walking in FA). They've got 5 guys who should be fairly locked in - Werenski, Gavrikov, Bean, Boqvist (RFA), and Peeke. Who are the Ds #6-10? Bayreuther, I assume, takes over the Harrington role as the 8th or 9th D who they don't really want to pay NHL money to for AHL time. Do they move on from Carlsson? He's 25 and mostly a bust for his draft status. The team also has Christansen, Berni, Knazko possibly, Svozil possibly, Bjorgvik Holm possibly, and then a several unsigned guys...Ceulemans (probably one more year in college), Hjorth, Johannesson, Makarov, and Richard. Put another way...if they think they're too thin from Ds #6-8ish, I could see them letting Kukan, Harrington, and Carlsson walk and filling in with Christansen, (insert a prospect from the previous sentence), and then offering a vet a 1-2 year deal under $1.5m AAV. I think the top 4 leaves something to be desired, but this isn't the offseason to go about filling it via FA. Not sure Anaheim can keep both Lindholm and Manson, but it'll cost a lot to get either one.

It makes me really nervous seeing Sillinger and Johnson penciled in this high in the lineup. I don't think it's best for Sillinger long term to be playing against the other team's best line night in and night out as a 19 year old. He's held his own here this year, but it's not like he's lighting it up.

I'm also very concerned Johnson is not physically ready for the NHL. I'd love to know his current weight. If he's still under 180 lbs, I don't think he's ready. I'd prefer to see him in Cleveland, playing Center and eating everything in sight.

This is why I want a Vet C on the top line, let the kids develop, learn from the pros, and move them up because they are ready, not because we have to.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't want any from that list. It will take massive overpayment (which doesn't necessarily concern me) and massive term (which concerns the Hell out of me). I mentioned this in another thread, the three free agents I'd be most interested in are Old Guy Centers- Giroux, Malkin, Bergeron. I'm looking for an established Vet that can center the top line for the next 1-3 years to let the kids grow up a little without facing the other team's top lines or being forced to produce at a top line level. Giroux interests me the most- he's a playmaker, younger than the others, and is ELITE in the faceoff circle. That seems like a perfect fit for Laine. I also think an "Old Guy" is far more likely to sign as a UFA in Columbus than a younger guy. Is it going to take $10m+ to sign any of these guys? Maybe, but I'm OK with that. We have the perfect combination of cap space and an available spot on the top line open next to a guy who could score 40 goals. This would also give us tremendous opportunity to move Jake around wherever he's most useful- top line with Laine and Giroux or move him down to help out the kids.

I don't know what Phila, Pittsburgh, or Boston are going to do with their aging vets, but I don't think any of them can afford $10m x 3. We can do that and it positions us perfectly for three years from now when our kids will start needing RFA deals. I don't know whom else we'd be bidding against. Who has enough cap space, needs a top line center, has an elite winger, is on the rise up not the way down, and is willing to take a chance on an aging vet?

I like the old guy center stopgap idea. Malkin and Bergeron are unlikely to move though, especially Bergeron. They're almost certainly lifers where they are. Giroux is probably done in Philly, I have a feeling he'll be going home to Ottawa though.

Reactions: Cowumbus

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I like the old guy center stopgap idea. Malkin and Bergeron are unlikely to move though, especially Bergeron. They're almost certainly lifers where they are. Giroux is probably done in Philly, I have a feeling he'll be going home to Ottawa though.
I would agree Bergeron staying in Boston seems most likely, unless one last huge payday is more important to him. I'd say 95% he stays.

You'd think Malkin would likely stay in Pittsburgh to finish things out. But, they could have cap issues trying to re-sign both Malkin and Letang. It's probably more important for the Pens to keep Letang and I don't think Pittsburgh can match $10m+ for Malkin. I'd say 50% he stays.

Giroux is the most interesting to me because of position flexibility. He's your #1 Center until one of the kids is ready, then he's your #1 LW who can still handle faceoffs. It will be interesting to see what Philly does at the deadline. If they trade him I don't see him going back there as a UFA. If he agrees to waive his NMC, then it's likely because he's going to a contender as a rental. I'd say 75% chance he makes it to the open market. If that happens, I hope no one outbids us.
Giroux is recently married and has two young kids, that should be a plus for Columbus. Does anyone know if he is close to Voracek? That relationship could be our ace in the hole here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine-Sillinger-Voracek
Robinson-Kuraly-Texier
Bemstrom/Chinkahov
Werenski-Peeke
Gavirkov-Boqvist
Bean-Christiansen?
Merzlikins
Tarasov

I wouldn't list Domi as having any chance of being here, and I would mention Danforth as a guy that fits really well here.

I don't particularly like Ryan Strome, I don't see him as an upgrade on Roslovic.

If KJ isn't ready, and Domi is gone, then it could be something like:

Laine - Jenner - Voracek
Texier - Roslovic - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Sillinger - Marchenko
Robinson - Kuraly - Chinakhov
Danforth

If KJ is ready, then I'm fine with Chinakhov, Sillinger, KJ, and Marchenko competing for spots, with some guys spending time in Cleveland. For whatever reason people see that as a punishment or demotion but it ought to just be a normal part of development for these players.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Forsberg nice rest meh
yes.

I would rather have Silli or KJ on the top line than Strome honestly.

If Jarmo go after a C it should be Trocheck, Hertl or Giroux if any of them are willing. even if meh.

Giroux might like Voracek?

Also Fabbri resigned

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Only I don't agree with Chinakhov in the 4th line. Either higher or in Cleveland. Besides we don't know how Marchenko will play.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Look at this list!!

Could we land anyone here?

C -- TOMAS HERTL doubt we land him
C -- V. TROCHECK doubt we land him
C. -- NAZEM KADRI we won't land him
C -- RYAN STROME we could land him
C -- Robby Fabbri we could land him

Lw -- JOHNNY GAUDREAU won't land
Lw. -- FILIP FORSBERG wish we could
Lw -- ONDREJ PALAT won't land

Rw -- RICKARD RAKELL maybe could land
Rw -- ANDRE BURAKOVSKY won't land
Rw -- NINO NIEDERREITER could land
Rw -- V. NICHUSHKIN wish we would land

D --Ben Chiarot wish we would land

My top realistic pics
RYAN STROME
RICKARD RAKELL
NINO NIEDERREITER could plan
V. NICHUSHKIN
Ben Chiarot

Please please come here
FILIP FORSBERG
Start your list with players like a backup goalie (re-sign JFB?) and depth/experience defensemen or a bottom 6 veteran forward that would be depth. CBJ isn't in a position to work the UFA market. Doesn't fit their structure or re-tool. They have too many young players to push for playing time and none of the big players are likely to push to come to Columbus for their transition.

Now in 2-3 years, you might have a key piece that wants to be part of a team that offers hope of a deep playoff push but needs that vet to help show the way. Not sure that happens but we haven't been players (for the most part) in the UFA market in our history and are certainly not going to be this year.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
HF plan to get Giroux to the CBJ:

1) Have Rick Nash take Voracek and his kids to the zoo.

2) Have Voracek tell Giroux and his wife about the zoo.

3) Have Jarmo offer Giroux lots of money and a membership to the zoo.
how's the zoo ?

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
yes.

I would rather have Silli or KJ on the top line than Strome honestly.

If Jarmo go after a C it should be Trocheck, Hertl or Giroux if any of them are willing. even if meh.

Giroux might like Voracek?

Also Fabbri resigned
Never thought of that,

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A quick and dirty cap calculations says we could add Hertl. Giroux, Forsberg or Gaudreau and re-sign Laine for around $36mm. Domi goes and Nyquist too. Probably need another small trade or two. Offense would be killer for the next 7 years and Jake's 8mm falls off in 2 years. ASSUMING (I know at least one will say it won't/can't happen) Jarmo could pull it off would you do it?

Retool would be essentially over with the exception of strengthening the D. Ceulemans & Svozil showing promise, Peeke, Boqvist, Bean all youngins. Could add Jiricek this draft. Use Jake's 8mm to add a primo D in two years.

Too Toronto or Edmonton? I dunno.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
HF plan to get Giroux to the CBJ:

1) Have Rick Nash take Voracek and his kids to the zoo.

2) Have Voracek tell Giroux and his wife about the zoo.

3) Have Jarmo offer Giroux lots of money and a membership to the zoo.

With our luck, his back would go out on him halfway through his first season here on an uninsured contract.

Gee, that sounds vaguely familiar...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hampus Lindholm.

Johnson, Sillinger, Laine, Chicago pick brings new F talent quite a bit

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Hampus Lindholm.

Johnson, Sillinger, Laine, Chicago pick brings new F talent quite a bit
the team need LD even less than new F talent

Gav would need to be moved for Lindholm to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad