Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don’t see anyone trading for Gus Nyquist and giving up a better player now to do so.

In the future? Yeah. But I don’t think jarmo wants to deal him yet. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if he’s extended for another year or two
I don’t want a better player (we need less players), I want draft picks.

IMO If they do that, it’s pure stupidity.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I thought Emil Bemström had a pretty good season, seemed to tilt the ice in Blue Jackets' flavor, liked his effort and overall play and his scoring rates were decent. I would be in no hurry to move on from him, he seems like he could be a good guy to have in your bottom/middle 6, definitely looked like an NHLer to me.

EDIT: seems to me he was probably overhyped in the past for his offense, I knew nothing of him and had zero expectations when I started following the team, so I was never expecting anything of his shot or whatever. Can't really say he never looked out of place in the NHL to my eyes.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The statement speaks for its self , they are never going to give you their actual detailed thoughts , but you can’t bet what he said , he believes.. Nyquist is no different than Jones in that regard . In the quote he’s also explaining that with guys like Sillinger in the room , leaders can leave , and new ones emerge
I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill

But I guess we’ll see

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At the risk of finding myself attacking a strawman...

I'm getting the distinct impression that some folks here view Nyquist's continued presence as somehow irrefutable evidence that Kekalainen is trying to "rush" a trip to the playoffs and that it is therefore important that we trade him because that somehow proves or demonstrates our commitment to developing the youth. I consider that to be completely absurd. The guy's presence here is as a mentor to and shield for folks developing; he exists so there's room for kids to make mistakes. Much like Voracek, and to a lesser extent Jenner. He has a valid place here regaradless of whether we're chasing after a playoff spot or just developing.

I've said this elsewhere but will repeat it: don't look for the Odd Man Out. That's how you get ripped off; you get fixated on We Must Remove This One Guy, folks pick up on that, and they offer garbage returns as a result. See what the offers are for everyone, balance that against what you expect out of the guys, and pick what makes sense. Don't go in assuming "well, Bemstrom isn't sniping yet so he has to go", or "well, I dunno about Texier's absence", or "well, I never believed in Chinakhov anyways so get rid of him".

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I wouldn't be against Copp, he's a player we need and we'd have him for free. Similar against Dvorak. The problem is we need to trade some wingers. Now who? Bjorkie? Honestly, I don't think that would be a very good decision. Ony if the big trade. Really big and profitable for us.
Nyquist? That's more likely, but... many people underestimate Gus. Robinson? That's possible, Eric isn't irreplaceable. Next, Tex showed he can be a TOP 9 player, maybe even TOP 6. Well, someone's got to go but who?

P.S. Please, no one from Strome brothers. 🙏🏻

S rizikom, že zaútočím na slamníka...

Mám jasný dojem, že niektorí ľudia tu vnímajú Nyquistovu pokračujúcu prítomnosť ako nejaký nevyvrátiteľný dôkaz, že Kekalainen sa snaží „uponáhľať“ cestu do play-off a že je preto dôležité, aby sme ho vymenili, pretože to nejakým spôsobom dokazuje alebo demonštruje náš záväzok. k rozvoju mládeže. To považujem za úplne absurdné. Prítomnosť chlapíka je tu ako mentor a štít pre ľudí, ktorí sa rozvíjajú; existuje, takže je tu priestor pre deti robiť chyby. Podobne ako Voráček a v menšej miere Jenner. Má tu platné miesto bez ohľadu na to, či sa usilujeme o postup do play-off, alebo sa len rozvíjame.

Povedal som to inde, ale zopakujem to: nehľadajte Odd Man Out . Tak sa necháte oklamať; zafixujete sa na We Must Remove This One Guy, ľudia sa toho chopia a ako výsledok ponúkajú vrátenie odpadu. Pozrite sa, aké sú ponuky pre každého, porovnajte to s tým, čo od chlapcov očakávate, a vyberte si to, čo dáva zmysel. Nepredpokladajte, že „dobre, Bemstrom ešte nestrieľa, takže musí ísť“, alebo „no, neviem o Texierovej neprítomnosti“, alebo „no, aj tak som v Chinakhova nikdy neveril, tak sa ho zbavte“.
Arizona, Buffalo... have/had too young team and the result? Every team even in restart, needs some veterans - leaders.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Definite no to Copp. He wouldn’t be an upgrade on Jenner at 2C. I’d set my eyes on Trochek, though, if we’re looking to add a forward.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Nyquist without retention should get at least a 2nd and more likely a 2nd and a 4th. With retention it's nothing less than a 1st in my opinion (bottom half of round as I woudl think a playoff worthy/ready team would be the likely destination). I see no reason to add to Nyquist to get a late 1st.

The return last time Nyquist was traded was a 2nd and a conditional 3rd. When he was younger.

”Detroit will receive the lower of San Jose's or the Florida Panthers' 2019 second-round selections, along with the Sharks' third-round pick in 2020. Should San Jose reach the 2019 Stanley Cup Final or re-sign Nyquist, the third-round pick in 2020 becomes San Jose's second-round selection.”

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Definite no to Copp. He wouldn’t be an upgrade on Jenner at 2C. I’d set my eyes on Trochek, though, if we’re looking to add a forward.
Trochek is 29 this year, he would probably want more $7,0M and long time, also he's small. Besides we have young, talented centers. Copp could play center until Johnson grows up, then move to the wing. Besides, he's the strength player we so need. Boone could move to the wing. Or vice versa, Copp a wing and Boone a center.

Reactions: Ippenator

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes to the 4th line assumption.

I think (hope) they would trade Bemstrom for a 2023 pick -2nd?rather than risk losing him through waivers. Probably same thought process on Foudy. If the 23 draft is as deep as projected could be a nice return.

They also could carry 14 F's but if they aren't going to play why bother?

I wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo tries to carry this year's Euro signings like Joona Luoto and Marcus Bjork in those extra roster spots.

Trade Nyquist. He’s not part of the long term plan, and honestly could be replaced internally.

And if he tries to compete right now then we will be stuck in mediocrity for another 5 years.

Nyquist @ 2.75 + 2023 3rd for a 1st would be great. Don’t think teams “value” him like he is around here though.

Nyquist without retention should get at least a 2nd and more likely a 2nd and a 4th. With retention it's nothing less than a 1st in my opinion (bottom half of round as I woudl think a playoff worthy/ready team would be the likely destination). I see no reason to add to Nyquist to get a late 1st.

I doubt it. Gus didn't get a 1st the last time he was sold at the deadline and he's older now. I think he's a really good player still but he had a lot of shoulder issues in the past and was considered a playoff no-show. I'd want him more than some guys who are fetching 1st rounders but I don't think he has the playoff pedigree to get a 1st, even with half retention.

Most likely he’s not traded until deadline .. but I’ll leave this here …..

Just because someone is a leader doesn’t mean we should not be trying “to make our club better now and in the future”

How many times do we have to pretend someone is part of the “core” when they are gone after this year? Savard/Foligno..

I get that he’s a leader, I’m not saying he isn’t. But he needs to be traded while he has guaranteed value. A lot of risk holding through the TDL with very little reward.

My biggest fear is that they are close to a playoff spot and don’t trade guys like Nyquist away at the deadline bc they “believe in this group.”

I agree to the extent that I don't think Jarmo has any sacred cows. He really would trade anyone.

It doesn't matter if someone is a leader.

But it does matter that the Jackets are already incredibly young. Trading off vets to squeeze in more and more young players seems like a classic Edmonton/ Buffalo rebuild type of move. Nyquist is a good player that makes us more competitive now. I want our young players either developing in the AHL or playing on an NHL team that isn't getting killed. I want them playing with the puck and having some confidence, not chasing all night.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Copp or Trocheck would be okay but only if we're sending Sillinger down. We don't have the offensive minutes to add another center like that without knocking someone else out of the lineup.

I also have my doubts about Malkin. He'd make some nice highlights but mostly frustration, and that's not what we need. We have enough fancy boys, we need someone who has energy and can drive play.

Which brings me back to Nazem Kadri. I know he's old too but I really think this guy has #1C talent and he doesn't look like he's slowed down one bit. It would have to be a shorter deal (nothing 4+ years) but I would throw money at him for a 2-3 year compact.

And forget position - you have to make a big bid on Johnny Gaudreau. There's a decent chance that none of our young players will ever be as good as he is. Or maybe KJ will become as good as he is, after learning from his childhood favorite himself.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I thought Emil Bemström had a pretty good season, seemed to tilt the ice in Blue Jackets' flavor, liked his effort and overall play and his scoring rates were decent. I would be in no hurry to move on from him, he seems like he could be a good guy to have in your bottom/middle 6, definitely looked like an NHLer to me.

EDIT: seems to me he was probably overhyped in the past for his offense, I knew nothing of him and had zero expectations when I started following the team, so I was never expecting anything of his shot or whatever. Can't really say he never looked out of place in the NHL to my eyes.

I heard all about his shot but like with Chinakhov I don't think a shot is a foundation of an NHL game. It is something that adds value if you have other skills in place to get you open in scoring position. So I'm not surprised that Bemstrom isn't a scorer (yet). That and Bemmer's shot isn't elite, it's enough to abuse the SHL, but that doesn't say that much.

He does push the puck on to the attack and forecheck and defend well. I like him, but at his age we either need to embrace him for that role (sending someone else out) or just trade him for a 2nd/3rd.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Copp or Trocheck would be okay but only if we're sending Sillinger down. We don't have the offensive minutes to add another center like that without knocking someone else out of the lineup.

I also have my doubts about Malkin. He'd make some nice highlights but mostly frustration, and that's not what we need. We have enough fancy boys, we need someone who has energy and can drive play.

Which brings me back to Nazem Kadri. I know he's old too but I really think this guy has #1C talent and he doesn't look like he's slowed down one bit. It would have to be a shorter deal (nothing 4+ years) but I would throw money at him for a 2-3 year compact.

And forget position - you have to make a big bid on Johnny Gaudreau. There's a decent chance that none of our young players will ever be as good as he is. Or maybe KJ will become as good as he is, after learning from his childhood favorite himself.
I understand the Gudreau pitch but we should have been in the Debrincat market if that was the case but we weren’t. I think we should just try to get Kadri like you said for 1C and/or Manson/Chycrun. If not prepare Cleveland for some wingers. I don‘t think with the Cap Teams are going to want to take on salary on a bunch of middle 6 wingers.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just an assumption that would have been out there like every other deal. Assuming we didn‘t want to give up the 6th OA pick
Kekalainen runs a pretty tight ship; we generally don't hear about rumors or comments unless the other side leaks them.

Point being, that assumption isn't a very strong basis for the "Gaudreau will not receive a sales pitch" argument. (Not that I expect him to come here, but still.)

• Haha
Reactions: Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understand the Gudreau pitch but we should have been in the Debrincat market if that was the case but we weren’t. I think we should just try to get Kadri like you said for 1C and/or Manson/Chycrun. If not prepare Cleveland for some wingers. I don‘t think with the Cap Teams are going to want to take on salary on a bunch of middle 6 wingers.

My theory is that Columbus is permanently blocked from making any calls with Chicago, they were never making a big trade with Columbus even if Jarmo really wants to up the offer for DeBrincat. So we don't know if Jarmo wanted to spend big on DeBrincat or not.

Edit: I'm 100% serious. The #6 pick is especially not what Chicago wants because getting that back makes DeBrincat a part of the Seth Jones trade tree, extending the embarrassment for their franchise.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Trochek is 29 this year, he would probably want more $7,0M and long time, also he's small. Besides we have young, talented centers. Copp could play center until Johnson grows up, then move to the wing. Besides, he's the strength player we so need. Boone could move to the wing. Or vice versa, Copp a wing and Boone a center.
I like this. I think Copp is a very underrated player. He is a very versatile player who can be used in whatever role is needed. And he has also good attitude and compete level. Even his skills are better than many think. He has quite good hockey IQ, which is a very important quality in a hockey player. Copp would be more useful than Trochek, although definitely not as flashy. But better as a player, and cheaper too.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'd be fine with making a run at Dylan Strome. Essentially an upgrade over Roslovic in one of the middle six C roles. Can slide Roslovic or Jenner to wing if Strome proves himself.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Honestly - I have some doubts the CBJ will be near a play-off spot on paper, the CBJ will take steps forward but not enough.

Moves made them better - Sens (Debrincat, Talbot), Devils (if they get Johnny Hockey), Detroit (upgraded goaltending Husso) they will be remarkably better

Assuming off-year in 2021 - Islanders (will return to play-off form)

Play-off Teams - Pens (keeping their older core together), Caps (will announce Keumper signing), Rangers (win the Kane sweepstakes), Panthers, Lighting and Maple Leafs are not taking steps back.

Unknowns & Assumptions - Flyers (bad but assume better with Torts), Canadiens (okay better than last year), Boston (? injuries but bringing back Krecji), Buffalo (playing very good at the end of year)

We shall see how FA period shakes out (assuming CBJ doesn’t make any significant moves)

That is why they play the season but who knows 🤷‍♂️, well most here thought 23-24 season. Funny if we win the Bedard sweepstakes and get our first 1C in franchise history and Chicago does not.

BTW - we are not tanking

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad