Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If Kadri would take a two year deal would you do it? $9m per?

We have the cap and a lot of clubs don't. Personally I just don't want to go long term with him, that's my only concern. If ownership is willing to spend, I'd take a 2 year deal.

If Danforth gets outplayed by 12 other forwards and they demote him, or they just want to demote him for any reason, then his cap hit goes away. Not much downside there.
2 years at 9 million I probably would do it.

Reactions: majormajor

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
If Kadri would take a two year deal would you do it? $9m per?

We have the cap and a lot of clubs don't. Personally I just don't want to go long term with him, that's my only concern. If ownership is willing to spend, I'd take a 2 year deal.

If Danforth gets outplayed by 12 other forwards and they demote him, or they just want to demote him for any reason, then his cap hit goes away. Not much downside there.
Kadri at 2 years 9 mil would be excellent but I don't think that's enough to get him. As for your other idea I think Zub would be fantastic for us. Never really thought about him as a potential target for us but now that you mention it I really want him here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So Kadri and Zub, who we just discussed, happen to be tough players. But after that Wild game it is all the more obvious that we actually do need a heavyweight. Any ideas?

Gudbranson is probably a UFA again. Same with Deslauriers, though it would be harder for us to make room on the wing. And I'm just as eager to get Kassian as before.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So Kadri and Zub, who we just discussed, happen to be tough players. But after that Wild game it is all the more obvious that we actually do need a heavyweight. Any ideas?

Gudbranson is probably a UFA again. Same with Deslauriers, though it would be harder for us to make room on the wing. And I'm just as eager to get Kassian as before.

Gudbranson is UFA. Boston just grabbed Josh Brown for the playoffs - he is another right D UFA who is big and will fight.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gudbranson is UFA. Boston just grabbed Josh Brown for the playoffs - he is another right D UFA who is big and will fight.
Brown is tough but he is definitely a turnover machine that will not make @tunnelvision happy. Gudbranson has struggled with that before too but has looked a lot better lately.

Reactions: VT

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Brown is tough but he is definitely a turnover machine that will not make @tunnelvision happy. Gudbranson has struggled with that before too but has looked a lot better lately.

I don’t care about turnovers next year nearly as much as having a guy or two that will step up if someone goes after Kent Johnson or Boqvist or Voracek’s knee. We don’t need to go crazy like the Rangers did, but adding a 3rd pair right D like Gudbranson or Brown to play 15 minutes a night can’t make our defense any worse than it already is.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t care about turnovers next year nearly as much as having a guy or two that will step up if someone goes after Kent Johnson or Boqvist or Voracek’s knee. We don’t need to go crazy like the Rangers did, but adding a 3rd pair right D like Gudbranson or Brown to play 15 minutes a night can’t make our defense any worse than it already is.
I was hoping to make it better. :D

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Jarmo mentioned them by name at the press conference last Monday as players they expect to be here next year. The last time I remember him doing that for prospects was Texier and Bemstrom who made the team the next year. Obviously they have to make it still but I think they have good odds
Jarmo doubled down on this, specifically for Marchenko, in his 30 for 30 podcast interview. He was asked if we could see him this year, he essentially defected by saying we expect him to compete for a spot on the team next year. To your point regarding Tex and Bem I think the expectation is Johnson and Marchenko are expected to be part of the top 14 forwards next year.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And both Texier and Bemstrom have struggled at times.
Agreed but I think Texier showed very consistent play this year with Larsen once he simplified his game and got going. Before he got hurt, he was arguably our best forward for 20 or so games. Granted, small sample size but that was the expectation over the last couple years. We simply haven't seen that from Bemstrom, who clearly has some talent but for whatever reason just hasn't taking that step.

Reactions: LJ7

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think the primary movement we'll see will be on the back end. I think we have a lot of talent but too much of it needs to grow/get stronger/more experience. I see a lot more upside and ability in Boqvist than Bean. While I love the balance a RD/LD gives a team if you have it, I think they need more size and two way play, less primary offensive play. I absolutely see Jarmo being a player for Chychrun. I also would throw Bean in as a trade chip. He shows promise but he does get pushed around and his offensive skill doesn't separate him enough that our current makeup provides "protection" for him in our own zone. We struggle mightily under pressure and a average/good (not even great) forecheck.

I'm not pushing to move him but I think he's the most expendable of the top 5 on the back end (Z, Gav, Peeke, Boqy, Bean). Ceulemans is likely to push for a pro contract after next year (maybe two) and he brings some added size as well (and all around game).

So, I think you have some young forwards (I don't think Tex moves unless it's a big time add), picks, prospects and Bean as the best chips to upgrade. We can move a few, still keep the primary core and the 2022 1st (one could be moved) and 2023 1st for replacement of some of the veterans.

As an aside, another interesting thing from Jarmo was his strong belief that even though the game has gotten younger the CBJ Philosophy will still support long term development. I got the impression he looks at non-North American players in the same light and that's that they need to physically get stronger and mentally understand the small ice surface game. That can take a few years. He indicated when drafting or trading they don't focus on who will get to the NHL the fastest but who will have the best career and biggest impact based on their projection. I think that's why it feels like some of the late round picks seem to be moving up the board or how they draft (Richard, Pyyhtia, Voronkov to name a few).

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I have a guy in mind that is better than the RD you mentioned. Artem Zub.

If Ottawa can't extend him this summer, then he'll be traded. He's an excellent shutdown guy but with better offensive talent than say, Gavrikov. I think he is the ideal type to pair with Werenski.
I like Zub, but I didn't consider him to be available because he's not a UFA until next year. I would think Ottawa has plenty of cap space and would love to keep him. What am I missing?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The bitterly ironic thing about Korpi is his value and play has now regressed so much that he's now probably going to get a contract/role of the exact type of player/salary/term of a goalie we should be looking for in free agency: a proven veteran backup on a 1- or 2-year deal worth around $1.5-2M. So in that sense, it'd be the perfect solution to just re-sign him while Tarasov plays another year or two in the AHL (i.e., it'd be a great move to re-sign him if we were in Franchise Mode in Chel).

Unfortunately, these aren't computers/video game players. There's probably some bitterness (fair or not) on Korpi's end to CBJ, and even if he's lost his NHL starter opportunity league-wide, he'd probably prefer to try to be a backup in a different organization. And on CBJ's end, both the organization and Elvis would probably prefer a clean break to firmly establish that Elvis is "the guy". Even if you bring Korpi back in a clear "backup" role (based on what you tell him and his salary/term), there's still that lingering "battle" in recent history that wouldn't be there if you sign a guy like Halak, Jones, Rittich, Elliott, Wedgewood, etc., instead. It really doesn't make sense for either party to re-sign, even if on paper and only accounting for role, it'd be a good fit.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like Zub, but I didn't consider him to be available because he's not a UFA until next year. I would think Ottawa has plenty of cap space and would love to keep him. What am I missing?

Melnyk pinches his pennies hard and a lot of players don't want to play for him. There is a decent chance that Zub would rather play in Columbus, the big Russian cohort matters a lot too.

He seems a lot like Gavi, a popular guy, outstanding character. Defends like him too, but much better puck skill. He does shootouts even, just to give you an example. Solid #2 RD - they don't come along often so we've got to be on it if he's available.

Reactions: VT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The bitterly ironic thing about Korpi is his value and play has now regressed so much that he's now probably going to get a contract/role of the exact type of player/salary/term of a goalie we should be looking for in free agency: a proven veteran backup on a 1- or 2-year deal worth around $1.5-2M. So in that sense, it'd be the perfect solution to just re-sign him while Tarasov plays another year or two in the AHL (i.e., it'd be a great move to re-sign him if we were in Franchise Mode in Chel).

Unfortunately, these aren't computers/video game players. There's probably some bitterness (fair or not) on Korpi's end to CBJ, and even if he's lost his NHL starter opportunity league-wide, he'd probably prefer to try to be a backup in a different organization. And on CBJ's end, both the organization and Elvis would probably prefer a clean break to firmly establish that Elvis is "the guy". Even if you bring Korpi back in a clear "backup" role (based on what you tell him and his salary/term), there's still that lingering "battle" in recent history that wouldn't be there if you sign a guy like Halak, Jones, Rittich, Elliott, Wedgewood, etc., instead. It really doesn't make sense for either party to re-sign, even if on paper and only accounting for role, it'd be a good fit.

I wouldn't assume any bitterness, I would assume though that both sides know it is time to move on. I would have thought that was clear for a year or so now.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Melnyk pinches his pennies hard and a lot of players don't want to play for him. There is a decent chance that Zub would rather play in Columbus, the big Russian cohort matters a lot too.

He seems a lot like Gavi, a popular guy, outstanding character. Defends like him too, but much better puck skill. He does shootouts even, just to give you an example. Solid #2 RD - they don't come along often so we've got to be on it if he's available.
I forgot about Melnyk, that's what I was missing. Nice work per usual Major!

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

I would have thought the same prior to the hip surgery. Now, if I'm Korpi, I take the first NHL contract that comes my way. I can't imagine too many teams will be lining up to give him one. I do not know if the CBJ are willing to offer him one, but I always got the impression that Korpi was well liked and he liked it here.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't assume any bitterness, I would assume though that both sides know it is time to move on. I would have thought that was clear for a year or so now.
In the past though, it was going to be time to move on by this next upcoming season because both Elvis and Korpi would be looking to be an NHL starter/make NHL starter money. So it was presumed the "time to move on" would be because it didn't make sense for the CBJ to keep both Korpi and Elvis based on their money and their NHL role (i.e., starter). Nor would Korpi want to stay and split time with Elvis when he could be a starter (or have a good realistic chance at winning a starting job) elsewhere in the league. So essentially, for "on-ice" reasons for both the CBJ and Korpi.

But now, Korpi's value league-wide (money, term and role-wise) in free agency this offseason is ironically probably at the exact level of the goalie the CBJ should be looking to sign as a backup for the next year or two. Yet (I think most agree) each party should move on. The difference is now it's more for "off-ice" / unquantifiable reasons rather than on-ice/salary cap/Korpi wanting to be a full-time NHL starter.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I would have thought the same prior to the hip surgery. Now, if I'm Korpi, I take the first NHL contract that comes my way. I can't imagine too many teams will be lining up to give him one. I do not know if the CBJ are willing to offer him one, but I always got the impression that Korpi was well liked and he liked it here.
I mean, stranger things have happened. I'm not going to say it's an impossibility. I happen to think it's best for the CBJ's end to establish a break and make it firmly clear this is Elvis's net, without that backdrop lingering. But maybe it's not as big of a deal (to the team or Elvis) as I'm making it out to be for Korpi to return. On the other side, I feel like after these past few years, Korpi would prefer a fresh start elsewhere, but perhaps his value is in the tank so much, that there's no other team willing to even sign him as a backup, and if the CBJ are the only ones willing to do so (because the team/Elvis isn't making it out to be as a big of a deal as I am), then sure you take it if you're Korpi.

Still, it just feels like an awkward relationship now as an outsider. Maybe it's actually not awkward at all inside the locker room/front office.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In the past though, it was going to be time to move on by this next upcoming season because both Elvis and Korpi would be looking to be an NHL starter/make NHL starter money. So it was presumed the "time to move on" would be because it didn't make sense for the CBJ to keep both Korpi and Elvis based on their money and their NHL role (i.e., starter). Nor would Korpi want to stay and split time with Elvis when he could be a starter (or have a good realistic chance at winning a starting job) elsewhere in the league. So essentially, for "on-ice" reasons for both the CBJ and Korpi.

But now, Korpi's value league-wide (money, term and role-wise) in free agency this offseason is ironically probably at the exact level of the goalie the CBJ should be looking to sign as a backup for the next year or two. Yet (I think most agree) each party should move on. The difference is now it's more for "off-ice" / unquantifiable reasons rather than on-ice/salary cap/Korpi wanting to be a full-time NHL starter.

I know what you mean by "off-ice" reasons, I just want to clarify that I doubt there is bitterness or any character issues. Everyone loves Korpi. Great guy. It might not even be awkward at all. It's just better to move on to new pastures sometimes when you struggle in a place. And same from the Jackets perspective - let's bring in a guy to backup who is coming in for a fresh start.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
What's your take on Ben Chiarot, Major? That would be pretty funny to swoop in and sign the two UFAs Zito just gave all those draft picks for.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have a guy in mind that is better than the RD you mentioned. Artem Zub.

If Ottawa can't extend him this summer, then he'll be traded. He's an excellent shutdown guy but with better offensive talent than say, Gavrikov. I think he is the ideal type to pair with Werenski.
:eek: If he doesn't get resigned I expect a fair portion of Ottawa to be burned down by an angry mob seeking Melnyk's head.

But yeah, he'd be great. I just wouldn't get my hopes up. :D

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I know what you mean by "off-ice" reasons, I just want to clarify that I doubt there is bitterness or any character issues. Everyone loves Korpi. Great guy. It might not even be awkward at all. It's just better to move on to new pastures sometimes when you struggle in a place. And same from the Jackets perspective - let's bring in a guy to backup who is coming in for a fresh start.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply Korpi's a bad guy or bad teammate or lacks character, just it feels like it's the "right time" for both parties to move on.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
:eek: If he doesn't get resigned I expect a fair portion of Ottawa to be burned down by an angry mob seeking Melnyk's head.

I think that sounds like a realistic possibility.

People though the trucker protest was wild... just wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad