OT: 2022 MLB Thread

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I know no one here wants to hear it, but I am not ready for the sweat of postseason baseball again. Last year took several hours off my life.

I'm not sure which would be more Atlanta, losing to the crappy Phillies after the season-long division battle with a better team, or getting walked-off by Freddie Freeman playing for the f***ing Dodgers in an elimination game. Can't wait to find out.
How does it feel to have your entire core locked up for years at a ridiculous bargain?

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
How does it feel to have your entire core locked up for years at a ridiculous bargain?
Well, Fried is not signed long-term yet and Swanson is going to be replaced by Vaughn Grissom which is a pretty big downgrade, but all in all pretty damn good. Albies' contract literally makes me feel dirty.

They did that same thing with Heyward, Freeman, and some other guys a decade ago and that blew up in their faces spectacularly. Things seem a little more hopeful this time.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Well, Fried is not signed long-term yet and Swanson is going to be replaced by Vaughn Grissom which is a pretty big downgrade, but all in all pretty damn good. Albies' contract literally makes me feel dirty.

They did that same thing with Heyward, Freeman, and some other guys a decade ago and that blew up in their faces spectacularly. Things seem a little more hopeful this time.
I saw the Strider contract and was just like, damn son. They did it again.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I know no one here wants to hear it, but I am not ready for the sweat of postseason baseball again. Last year took several hours off my life.

I'm not sure which would be more Atlanta, losing to the crappy Phillies after the season-long division battle with a better team, or getting walked-off by Freddie Freeman playing for the f***ing Dodgers in an elimination game. Can't wait to find out.
Are you a Braves fan too? Have you adopted all Atlanta sports? The Braves should have had more than one title during the Glassine-Maddux-Smoltz era.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I saw the Strider contract and was just like, damn son. They did it again.
I think Anthopolous is just wise to how valuable it is to players and their agents to buy out arbitration years at a fair rate. Most of these contracts are also leaving the players open to free agency while they're still on the right side of age to sign another big deal. Acuna will probably sign a $300+ million contract after his current deal expires.
Are you a Braves fan too? Have you adopted all Atlanta sports? The Braves should have had more than one title during the Glassine-Maddux-Smoltz era.
I was born and raised in Atlanta, so I fell into rooting for ATL sports.

Here's my active major sports rooting interest list ™️:

NHL:
Devils

Whoever is playing Winnipeg
Vegas

NFL:
NYG
Falcons

NCAA:
Georgia Tech
Whoever is ranked lower in a given game

MLB:
Braves

NBA:
None, really. I guess if the Hawks were in the finals I'd probably watch.

Soccer:
Approximately half of the premier league
Atlanta United

F1:
McLaren
Merc
laugh at Ferrari

I started rooting for Vegas because my wife adopted them as her team when they started. Talk about a mismanaged franchise though. I root for the Giants because of my wife as well. She was a life-long fan due to a friend of her brother's that lived with them when she was younger. I didn't start actively rooting for them until after their last Super Bowl run, unfortunately.

I was a toddler in 95, so I didn't get to experience a real postseason baseball run until a few years ago. For a sport that ranks around 4-5 on my careometer normally, there's something uniquely anxiety inducing about a high-leverage moment in postseason baseball.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I think Anthopolous is just wise to how valuable it is to players and their agents to buy out arbitration years at a fair rate. Most of these contracts are also leaving the players open to free agency while they're still on the right side of age to sign another big deal. Acuna will probably sign a $300+ million contract after his current deal expires.

NHL:
Devils

Vegas

NFL:
NYG
Falcons

NCAA:
Georgia Tech

MLB:
Braves

NBA:

Soccer:
Atlanta United

F1:
McLaren
Merc
laugh at Ferrari

I started rooting for Vegas because my wife adopted them as her team when they started. Talk about a mismanaged franchise though. I root for the Giants because of my wife as well. She was a life-long fan due to a friend of her brother's that lived with them when she was younger. I didn't start actively rooting for them until after their last Super Bowl run, unfortunately.

I was a toddler in 95, so I didn't get to experience a real postseason baseball run until a few years ago. For a sport that ranks around 4-5 on my careometer normally, there's something uniquely anxiety inducing about a high-leverage moment in postseason baseball.
“Laugh at Ferrari” I think either one of us could’ve been a strategist for them this year lol. Poor Charles. I’m a big Max fan so I can’t complain, bummed about Danny Ric though.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

NHL:
Devils

Vegas

NFL:
NYG
Falcons

NCAA:
Georgia Tech

MLB:
Braves

NBA:

Soccer:
Atlanta United

F1:
McLaren
Merc
laugh at Ferrari

The postseason is one of the few things I think baseball does well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So what happened last night, did Boone gaffe or is he just falling on the sword to protect his pitcher who somehow was only available in an emergency after going sixteen pitches the day before?

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
The divisional round needs to be 7 games. It's ridiculous to watch 100 win teams go home because an 85 win team got hot for 4 days. Shave a week off the regular season to make the timing work with the weather if you have to.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The extended byes definitely aren't a help to the top seeds...maybe extending the DS to seven games could counteract that

Reactions: HBK27

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
How long will they postpone the Yankees match?

I mean its almost 10PM. If they started now, they'd finish around 2AM? Have people been at the stadium waiting since 7PM?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It was stupid to put an off day between Game 1 and 2. MLB needs to learn how to schedule the playoffs
They wanted a game every day and couldn't stagger the start of the AL or NL series any more since they were already in a box thanks to their stupid preseason lockout compressing the schedule

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I usually try not to complain about announcers, but I did enjoy John Smoltz's goof yesterday when he mentioned that Ha-Seong Kim was a big home run hitter in Japan. I could only imagine a producer yelling into their ear that he's Korean as the PBP guy then mentioned the KBO a few moments later.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Yankees going down without a fight. This Phils-Padres game will go on well beyond midnight with all the pitching changes there will be. Padres started got zero outs before he got pulled.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Loser team, loser franchise under Cashman.

George must be spinning in his grave

I have to agree. I mean, you have the keys to the kingdom to do whatever you like.

Investing in older big guys who like to strike out seems like maybe not the right plan?

All of a sudden he gets religion with trading for Bader? Sorry kid, you just wasted your absolute best shot at immortality bc these guys couldn't hit the ball around.

It'll be a tragedy if that is Judge's last Yankee at bat - but honestly - not sure how many years are left after watching the guy put up the greatest season that I've ever seen.

When LeMahieu got injured, that left Rizzo as the only guy who could reliably have a good at bat in the lineup.

In your opinion - IKF or Gleybor blew that play?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have to agree. I mean, you have the keys to the kingdom to do whatever you like.

Investing in older big guys who like to strike out seems like maybe not the right plan?

All of a sudden he gets religion with trading for Bader? Sorry kid, you just wasted your absolute best shot at immortality bc these guys couldn't hit the ball around.

It'll be a tragedy if that is Judge's last Yankee at bat - but honestly - not sure how many years are left after watching the guy put up the greatest season that I've ever seen.

When LeMahieu got injured, that left Rizzo as the only guy who could reliably have a good at bat in the lineup.

In your opinion - IKF or Gleybor blew that play?

IKF. It was not the best hand off by Torres, but a glove first SS has to be making that catch

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad