OT: 2022 MLB Thread

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Northeast sports fandom is diseased, it's just various degrees.

Mets fans save their savage side for cheering for the Jets.
My family have been Jets season ticket holders since the mid 90's. I've been to dozens upon dozens of games and have seen some shit. Do any of you recall "get the money!"

Never anything like what happens at Yankees or rags games.

If you can provide a link or a YouTube video I will eat my words. But until then I will stand by my opinion that this is unique to rags and Yankees games.

These are the same people:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah I mean I don't have an example of Jets fans throwing anything although lighting the grandstand on fire in the late '80's was pretty bad, not to mention some of the other drunken behavior in the stands over the years. Giant fans threw icy snowballs in the '90's at one point but plenty of fans all over throw shit. There was the incident in Dallas this year where they were throwing batteries and whatnot, Dak Prescott was ripping the fans thinking they were throwing at the Dallas players. When told they were throwing them at the refs, he's like oh that's understandable...that response was almost as bad as the action itself.

I'm not sure NY fans are as bad as Philly fans though...there's a reason they need a jail on-site at the Vet.
So 30-40 years ago in this market is your next best example?

Dallas and Philthy have nothing to do with the conversation. And if the barometer of civility is Philadelphia I'd say that's a problem.

I can also assure you that Shea, Giants Stadium, and Yankee Stadium had a jail as well. I've been to one, was rightfully acquitted, and received an apology letter from the organization.

Philthy gets all the press because they had the most inmates and a judge on site.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL I could care less about arguing whether Yankee fans are worse than Met fans and other area fans, I'm a Mets fan and the Yankee fans probably are worse (the '04 ALCS there was plenty of shit thrown on the field when the umps made that 'correct' A-Rod slappy call as another example). I just don't like to paint brushes when every fanbase has plenty of jackasses, it's just a matter of what degree and how it manifests itself with each fanbase - with Devil fans it's more a matter of stupidity and pettiness than violence for example, with Jet fans it's lewdness and drunkenness. I actually legit wonder how bad Met fans would have been with the Chase Utley-Ruben Tejada incident if that happened at Citi as opposed to Dodger Stadium for example.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
LOL I could care less about arguing whether Yankee fans are worse than Met fans and other area fans, I'm a Mets fan and the Yankee fans probably are worse (the '04 ALCS there was plenty of shit thrown on the field when the umps made that 'correct' A-Rod slappy call as another example). I just don't like to paint brushes when every fanbase has plenty of jackasses, it's just a matter of what degree and how it manifests itself with each fanbase - with Devil fans it's more a matter of stupidity and pettiness than violence for example, with Jet fans it's lewdness and drunkenness. I actually legit wonder how bad Met fans would have been with the Chase Utley-Ruben Tejada incident if that happened at Citi as opposed to Dodger Stadium for example.
So we're in agreement.

And as much as I wish harm upon Utley, I highly doubt we would've thrown bottles at him. We had plenty of chances to afterwords.

There were also at least 15k Mets fans in the stadium when Clemens threw the bat.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Mets fans in 1973 were throwing shit after Pete Rose bowled over and attacked Bud Harrelson.

There's no defense of Yankee 'fans', even John Sterling called them out to a degree (though by saying they're not Yankee fans he was giving the fanbase a pass) but unfortunately we're getting more and more of this shit every year in sports because fans feel more entitled to be part of the action. People need to have their tickets taken away, and possibly put in jail...that's the only thing that'll stop crap like this.
I saw that fight in real time on tv. I recall getting home from school and watching it.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Plenty of rancid shit happens at Jets games and has been for a long time.
Pull up a video of Tom Brady, Ty Law, or Tedy Bruschi being hit with bottles or baseballs.

I'll wait.

If you'd like to exchange stories about degeneracy occurring at Jets games I can go toe to toe with anyone. I was a borderline witness to the stabbing in the bathroom. And as I said before "get the money!" Which for the uninitiated was what happened during half time in the '90's-early '00's.

Here's how that went down. People would congregate around the spiral columns that ran up the outside of the stadium during half time. At which point guys would start tossing coins and dollar bills to the bottom. So, everyone would start yelling/chanting "get the money!" Some poor soul would eventually jump in and give it a go. It never worked out well for them.

When I say never worked out well I mean I've seen guys get hit with full coolers from 50ft above, cans, bottles, spit, and even been pissed on.

So yeah, I've seen the shit.

But that's fans being degenerates to each other, most of whom knew what they signed up for, and many of those should've been arrested.

Throwing shit at players though and hitting their wives (Cliff Lee)? Above and beyond, do not pass go, trash beyond belief.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Mets fans in 1973 were throwing shit after Pete Rose bowled over and attacked Bud Harrelson.

There's no defense of Yankee 'fans', even John Sterling called them out to a degree (though by saying they're not Yankee fans he was giving the fanbase a pass) but unfortunately we're getting more and more of this shit every year in sports because fans feel more entitled to be part of the action. People need to have their tickets taken away, and possibly put in jail...that's the only thing that'll stop crap like this.
I dig the sentiment but like everything else in our current society the statement reeks of recency bias.

Malace at the palace ring a bell?

We could go back as far as the Bruins cleaning house in the stands at the toilet if you like.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Go to a Saints game. Wear your Jets Jersey or Giants jersey. Have a few beers. Have fun win or lose. Go the French Wuarter after the game. Have some more beer. Have fun. People can be nice even when watching their favorite sports team.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Go to a Saints game. Wear your Jets Jersey or Giants jersey. Have a few beers. Have fun win or lose. Go the French Wuarter after the game. Have some more beer. Have fun. People can be nice even when watching their favorite sports team.
Saints games are by far and away the best experiences I've ever had at a North American sporting event. And I've never even been inside the superdome. Or on bourbon st during one for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Make that 11…

Probably one of the more memorable wins. Judge’s homer had that touching moment where a man gave a fan with his jersey the ball, and there was that interesting no call on the Marwin rundown (still fun to watch).

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Mets have a chance to win yet another series today...and if they do, they'll have at least partially buried Atlanta early on. Pour it on!

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Make that 11…

Probably one of the more memorable wins. Judge’s homer had that touching moment where a man gave a fan with his jersey the ball, and there was that interesting no call on the Marwin rundown (still fun to watch).
This Yankees team just feels way different in all the best ways possible.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Is Cincinnati the worst team of our lifetimes? Holy shit

I saw a piece the other day comparing them to the legendarily bad Cleveland Spiders, and I thought that was overstating it a bit.

Then I looked at the Reds' record and it made more sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad